Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Rooting for USC to fail is rooting for Oregon to succeed

2»

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Recruiting is a zero sum game. If UW, USC and UCLA are all strong Oregon will stop getting kids like DAT and Mariotta.

Not necessarily. Each can only have 85. If this theory held true, then UW should not have landed Shaq ... but it did, even after 7-6.

Don't tell me - he's a brilliant aspiring computer science student and came here to study.

Oregon got DAT when USC still looked like a viable place to play. It must've been the cheating.
    Hi Harv.

This was an inspired handle choice by the way. Don't be so obvious next time.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,005

Recruiting is a zero sum game. If UW, USC and UCLA are all strong Oregon will stop getting kids like DAT and Mariotta.

Not necessarily. Each can only have 85. If this theory held true, then UW should not have landed Shaq ... but it did, even after 7-6.

Don't tell me - he's a brilliant aspiring computer science student and came here to study.

Oregon got DAT when USC still looked like a viable place to play. It must've been the cheating.
    Hi Harv.

Harv? I'm not in that guy's league. You got the real creep here. No more; no less. :)
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    This thread is doogalicious.

Hi Harv.

Harv? I'm not in that guy's league. You got the real creep here. No more; no less. :)
    Welcome then creepy...and LEAVE!

Glad to have you here.
  • kurtisrambiskurtisrambis Member Posts: 6
    USC's failure's are killing the pac12 and its image nationwide. Perfect for everybody east of Rockies. It's made the pac12 irrelevant.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited September 2013

USC's failure's are killing the pac12 and its image nationwide. Perfect for everybody east of Rockies. It's made the pac12 irrelevant.

Disagree. In the mid 2000's the Pac 10 was referred to as USC and the rest. USC did just fine, and so will any other undefeated PAC 12 team.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

slitp
    edited September 2013

Pretty sure Oregon's reputation is just fine. Whether we want to acknowledge reality or not, most people around the horn think Oregon is pretty tough.

The Cane crowd can be just as provincial and reactionary as the Husky crowd, and even most of those morons acknowledge where Oregon is right now.
  • AuburndawgAuburndawg Member Posts: 362
    Gentlemen, this is not that complicated. All I am saying is, if UW, UCLA and UW are all healthy, far fewer quality players will find their way to Eugene.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Gentlemen, this is not that complicated. All I am saying is, if UW, UCLA and UW are all healthy, far fewer quality players will find their way to Eugene.

You always show up just in time image.

Here's what you don't seem to get. If Oregon, UCLA and USC are all healthy fewer quality players will find their way to Seattle.

If Cal, USC and Oregon are all healthy fewer quality players will find their way to UCLA.

If Miami, Florida State and Georgia are all healthy fewer quality players will find their way to Gainesville.

Welcome to college football.

OTOH, Oregon's national brand (#hicreepycoog!) is strong enough that they'll still get plenty of quality players even if UW, UCLA and USC are all battling it out for the NC.

I want Brian Kelly's opinion on this matter.

Also, I wonder what Brian Kelly thinks of this.

• dnc said:

BSU game assured me that we are a threat to Oregon.

Call it what you want, but UW definitely opened eyes last week. They're also raised concerns in Eugene.

Bottom line, whatever Oregon can do, many other schools can do better, including UW. Why? More and better resources. Oregon has Phil Knight and Nike. What more can Oregon do that others aren't catching up to, and even surpassing?

Oregon is still in Eugene, it's nowhere near the quality school as many in the Pac-12, and very aware of what's going on up North.

Should be an interesting game this year. Duck fans will be more nervous this year than in quite some time. Youll be able to tell the amount of anxiety with the amount of trash talk by the fans. Expect a lot of that from Eugene this year

1. Maybe. Let's see how good Boise is. Nevermind. Let's just see how good UW can continue to be. Whether "concerns" have been raised in Eugene . . . probably no more than usual. UW has has had some other decent wins last few years, and it hasn't translated to beating Oregon in a decade.

2. Duh. Whatever any school can do, another can do better ... given the right circumstances. Nobody cares that Oregon is in Eugene, any more than they do that Florida is in Gainsville and Oklahoma is in Norman and Nebraska in Lincoln and Penn State in Happy Valley and ... and .... Doesn't matter. Never has. Academics? Is that why we used to get everyone to come here? Back when we were ranked #76 in the US News and WR? Are you serious? How does Arizona and ASU recruit then? Texas A&M? Any school in the SEC not named Vanderbilt? This is such a loser line of reasoning.

3. Trash talk - so, by logical extension, does that mean you're nervous too?

Oregon got good. Phil isn't going anywhere, and as long as he's there, they won't tolerate a coach who isn't getting it done. THAT is why they are good. It's a priority. If it becomes a priority here again, and it seems to be, then we will be good ... again. But that won't make them bad by itself.

I do love the "return to the mean" theory. Of course UW will be good again. But this idea that there is some rightful trilogy in the conference is laughable.
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH
  • Mooser42 said:

Why can't Oregon be strong, and UW is strong with them? Since when does Oregon have to be shit for UW to be any good?

Yep our last great team was in 2000 and Oregon was in the top 10 and shit Oregon State was in the top 5 that same year.

apparently, it is that complicated. basically, everyone has explained to you why that is wrong. and, basically, you don't get it.

repeating your original premise doesn't help.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,697 Founders Club

apparently, it is that complicated. basically, everyone has explained to you why that is wrong. and, basically, you don't get it.

repeating your original premise doesn't help.
    But this is not that complicated. All I am saying is, if UW, UCLA and USC are all healthy, far fewer quality players will find their way to Eugene.
    dnc said:

You always show up just in time image.

Here's what you don't seem to get. If Oregon, UCLA and USC are all healthy fewer quality players will find their way to Seattle.

If Cal, USC and Oregon are all healthy fewer quality players will find their way to UCLA.

If Miami, Florida State and Georgia are all healthy fewer quality players will find their way to Gainesville.

Welcome to college football.

OTOH, Oregon's national brand (#hicreepycoog!) is strong enough that they'll still get plenty of quality players even if UW, UCLA and USC are all battling it out for the NC.
    no, you don't get it.

when the holy trilogy of the pac 10 assumes its rightful place at the altar, all the good players who can't get a UW, USC and UCLA scholly will pack it in and play water polo.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,568 Founders Club

Why has Oregon risen?

3. Nike $$$ for facilities
    2. They have hired good coaches
    1. By far the biggest reason: USC, UCLA and Washington have hired a series of bad coaches (Fingers crossed Sark breaks that trend) and have underperformed vs their historic levels. Kids who should be playing in LA or Seattle are going to Eugene.

If the big three get their act together Oregon (and Stanford) will slide back to mediocrity.

C'mon Haden, pull the trigger and hire a real football coach.

The bad hires have an effect, but your overstating it.

As much as we resent Oregon, they're pretty much established as a top Western program now. I'm sure they'll slide down and have a few 7-5 yrs., but until uncle Phil dies, they are not going anywhere. We have to catch up to them and start punching him in the mouth.

I would love to see the big three on top again, but it won't happen anytime soon, at least not for a sustained number of years. teens just can't stockpile Talent like they could 25 years ago. Boise St, Kal ( When Tedford was there), And the
    Oregon schools...all very annoying...good 1-aa schools Then on par with The 60th best 1-a school - also annoying as hell but that's the way all the higher ups want it.