Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

High School Injuries and Deaths

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I/m not sure about Tequilla initial question, but you can't be a 5'9" 160 pound corner and not lower your head to make a tackle. If you try proper form tackling, you will get ran the fuck over by a big RB. AOG might have been right that a lot of you haven't played. A helmet into a ball carriers knee or shin is how a little guy gets a bigger guy down.

You sound short.
    I'm actually tall.
    But now in my Internet head you are 5'7".
    Add 6 more consensual inches and you're there.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I/m not sure about Tequilla initial question, but you can't be a 5'9" 160 pound corner and not lower your head to make a tackle. If you try proper form tackling, you will get ran the fuck over by a big RB. AOG might have been right that a lot of you haven't played. A helmet into a ball carriers knee or shin is how a little guy gets a bigger guy down.

You sound short.
    I'm actually tall.
    But now in my Internet head you are 5'7".
    Add 6 more consensual inches and you're there.
    With or without cleats? I'm thinking 6'1" at the combine and 5'9" on gameday.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I admit that I haven't played ...

What I see is a faster game today with guys that are bigger and faster which leads to more force in collisions. More force leads to great injury potential, particularly in the head.

In some ways, it's what I see a bit in hockey in that you now have a far more wide open game but the amount of concussions going up as there is nothing to break the speed. While the game is far better than the past that was a slower game because in large part the two line pass rule, not sure how many super dangerous head shots there wee due to lower speeds.

I guess the question is have we opened the game up too much and in so doing it leads to more injuries
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,544
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Let's take the pads off. Football players have Aussies and Kiwis talkin mad shit about them.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I admit that I haven't played ...

What I see is a faster game today with guys that are bigger and faster which leads to more force in collisions. More force leads to great injury potential, particularly in the head.

In some ways, it's what I see a bit in hockey in that you now have a far more wide open game but the amount of concussions going up as there is nothing to break the speed. While the game is far better than the past that was a slower game because in large part the two line pass rule, not sure how many super dangerous head shots there wee due to lower speeds.

I guess the question is have we opened the game up too much and in so doing it leads to more injuries

Honestly, I don't think a little guy going after knees is the cause. And coaches should teach proper form tackling, but it doesn't work for a smaller guy. It just doesn't. I'm not sure if it is because of the spread offenses, but I doubt it. I think it is because it is a huge news story. It's absolutely tragic the kid at Evergreen died. It's not worth it and despite how much I love football, I'm not sure if I will allow my son to play.
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Wait til Ivan gets a hold of them
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,186
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

The sooner HS coaches transition to the "rugby tackle" technique, the better.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/what-the-nfl-can-learn-from-rugby-1442335267

But American football coaches say rugby tackling clearly cuts down on the number of dangerous head-to-head collisions. While football players have traditionally been coached to tackle “head across the body, up-high wrap and squeeze,” Ash said, rugby tackling positions the head behind the ball carrier and the contact spot is lower. “So the biggest difference is there are fewer blows to the head,” he said.
    According to someone there, at a practice sessions open to coaches during the Spring Clinic, UW was running a full-speed tackling drill for LBs without helmets to reinforce the rugby technique.

You mean like the Cal game? ;)
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    People know they can't hit the legs anymore, so they do body shots. All these "safety" rules are in fact making the game less safe.