Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cal Favored @ Washington

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,536
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Standard Supporter
I think it opened at 2 or 2.5 and now it's Washington +4.5

Goff sprained his ankle but sounds like it was minor. BB's looked more serious against Utah State but hopefully he started getting treatment immediately and will be ready for Cal's passing attacking.

Probably their most significant injury is a leg injury to Devante Wilson (bounce-back from USC, picked Cal over us coming out of JC). He may be their best pass rusher and it hurts their DL depth.

I had thought this game would be a pick' em. The public is probably overrating Cal's win over a Texas team that is still trying to find its identity while dealing with the slippage from Mack Brown's last couple of years.

Maybe the sharps will come in at the end of the week and push it down to UW +3.

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,298
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2015
    Tequilla said:

I love that we're home dogs ... love even more that the line is getting pushed more in that direction.

Generally rule is to beware of the home dog particularly when that dog has the better defense.

And finally, we beat Cal 31-7 last year at their place with Cyler Miles at QB. I don't see our defense being materially worse year to year. Browning should be an upgrade over Miles. Is Cal really 24+ points better than us in 12 months? I don't think so.

This is the kind of game that has always tripped Washington up in the past. Just when momemtum is going their way, they shit the bed. It's probably different with Peterson, but I'm taking Cal (still ranked too high) until shown otherwise.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Don James needed a miracle to escape Berkeley with a W in 1991...Peterson's going to need some of that same magic Saturday.

Regardless of what the old fat man says, I'm not a Cal fan at all...i fucking hate them...but their offense is dangerous regardless of how bad their defense is.
  • Options

Don James needed a miracle to escape Berkeley with a W in 1991...Peterson's going to need some of that same magic Saturday.

Regardless of what the old fat man says, I'm not a Cal fan at all...i fucking hate them...but their offense is dangerous regardless of how bad their defense is.

Just because they had your team beat last year is no reason to get all out of sorts. 31-7 at Cal. UW wins easily

Sounds like you do care
    Well take some of your social security money and bingo winnings and place a wager then.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,638
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited September 2015

That game was hard fought but how was it a miracle?

We needed a miracle in the '93 game at Cal, coming back from a 23-3 deficit. But not in 1991.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,433
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm waiting for all the Bears and Bruins to push it to 17 points
  • Options

We needed a miracle in the '93 game at Cal, coming back from a 23-3 deficit. But not in 1991.
    I was trolling your senior citizen buddy. HTH.

The real miracle is DJ got to avoid Terry Donahue that season. Terry Donahue owned DJ, even though TD was a mediocre coach.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,298
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Tequilla said:

I love that we're home dogs ... love even more that the line is getting pushed more in that direction.

Generally rule is to beware of the home dog particularly when that dog has the better defense.

And finally, we beat Cal 31-7 last year at their place with Cyler Miles at QB. I don't see our defense being materially worse year to year. Browning should be an upgrade over Miles. Is Cal really 24+ points better than us in 12 months? I don't think so.

This is the kind of game that has always tripped Washington up in the past. Just when momemtum is going their way, they shit the bed. It's probably different with Peterson, but I'm taking Cal (still ranked too high) until shown otherwise.
    On the other hand it is also the kind of game that trips up Cal. Fresh off a big win over Texas they come to their house of horrors.
    I might change my pick simply if Cal fans consider a win at Texas (2010-Present) big. Fans with that low of expectations have been institutionalized by loser mentality.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    UW has won something like 20 out of the last 25?

I expect a traditional UW home game against Cal -> fall behind by 17 points, then UW scores 21 in the 4th Q.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

We should beat Cal because they still suck, but this is ridiculous. Cal played their worst game of the season on offense against us last year. Against defenses just as good or better, they performed much better.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,818
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

We should beat Cal because they still suck, but this is ridiculous. Cal played their worst game of the season on offense against us last year. Against defenses just as good or better, they performed much better.
    So you're saying that Cal sucked last year because of Cal and not at all because anything UW did? Is that what you are saying?
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,808
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    We will beat Cal by 10+

COOK IT

creepyclown.gif
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,818
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Goff's a good QB but I'm not sure that I'd say that they really push the ball down the field much. Last week, their longest completion was 24 yards. They are much more a quick throw team that relies on some yards after the catch.

If you go look back at last year's game, we did 3 things particularly well on defense:

1) We stuffed the Cal running game making it a non-factor
    2) We tackled well after the catch and limited explosive plays
    3) We were able to take away some of the quick throws that led to the DL having the time to get after Goff

If you look at the games so far this year, we stuffed Boise for 3.5 yards per carry. Utah St averaged 2.8 yards per carry. I'm fairly confident in our ability to slow Cal's running game down.

And, not that this means anything against the game per se, but Washington has covered now 6 of the last 8 games. The only games not covered were the bowl game stink fest and the UCLA game last year where Kikaha got hurt early in the game. This is a team that isn't sexy and sexy teams generally don't get bet up by the public ... but the sharps like them. In contrast, Cal has the QB and is a sexy pick ... they aren't covering at a high rate.

No question Cal can win the game. But it should be close. And in that event, give me the home team that has the better defense. UW wins 27-24.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,495
    Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

I was trolling your senior citizen buddy. HTH.

The real miracle is DJ got to avoid Terry Donahue that season. Terry Donahue owned DJ, even though TD was a mediocre coach.
    If Donahue was a mediocre coach, what good coaches have been employed by the University of California, Southern Branch?

Bob Toledo, of course... how could you forget? ;) <----------