Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

You know its a Shitty day when you Hit the Tarmac and...

2»

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited September 2015
    I saw that plane take off from SeaTac this morning.

(not the Taiwanese plane that crashed, the Oregon/Horizon Air plane)
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

whlinder said:

And then that airplane tried to fly to the Natty:

Gurgle

But how are Asians shitty pilots?

These guys lost an engine and proceeded to shut down the good engine. Twin engine turboprops don't glide too well, especially at low airspeed.
    They did pretty good at Pearl Harbor...
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,356
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

Gurgle

These guys lost an engine and proceeded to shut down the good engine. Twin engine turboprops don't glide too well, especially at low airspeed.
    It's been done by Old, Rich, White pilots too:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegworth_air_disaster

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

Gurgle

They did pretty good at Pearl Harbor...
    #NeverForget
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,495
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Gurgle

I like to refer an incident that happened 25 years ago, that's what I like to do.

A lot has changed over the past 15-20 years in crew resource management (CRM). Correctly diagnosing the problem and verifying the malfunctioning system take precedence over trying to run checklists quickly.

Some Asian carriers don't have a good safety record. It comes from lack of experience by their pilots and a culture where the captain is king. If he's fucking up, the first officer is hesitant to challenge him.

In any case, I could type a Tequilla-esque diatribe about this stuff, but I won't.
  • Options

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Gurgle

I like to refer an incident that happened 25 years ago, that's what I like to do.

A lot has changed over the past 15-20 years in crew resource management (CRM). Correctly diagnosing the problem and verifying the malfunctioning system take precedence over trying to run checklists quickly.

Some Asian carriers don't have a good safety record. It comes from lack of experience by their pilots and a culture where the captain is king. If he's fucking up, the first officer is hesitant to challenge him.

In any case, I could type a Tequilla-esque diatribe about this stuff, but I won't.
    Sounds like you kind of care, but not really
  • Options
    Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Gurgle

I have a little familiarity with flight safety, CRM, in-flight emergencies, and checklists. So yeah, I do care.

Not all Asian carriers are bad. But, they do need a change in their culture. I think it's holding them back when it comes to aviation safety. Things used to be that way in the US. It wasn't until the late 70s / early 80s that deliberate effort was made by the airlines and pilots to make a change. The real catalyst was when United crashed a DC-8 just short of the runway in Portland, because they were trying to troubleshoot a problem and they ran out of fuel. All 3 guys were focused on that one light and nobody was monitoring anything else. On top of that, the captain was a total asshole.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,764
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

Glad our field is named after a company that completely fucked up routine ground maintenance and killed almost 100 people
  • Options

AZDuck said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Gurgle

I have a little familiarity with flight safety, CRM, in-flight emergencies, and checklists. So yeah, I do care.

Not all Asian carriers are bad. But, they do need a change in their culture. I think it's holding them back when it comes to aviation safety. Things used to be that way in the US. It wasn't until the late 70s / early 80s that deliberate effort was made by the airlines and pilots to make a change. The real catalyst was when United crashed a DC-8 just short of the runway in Portland, because they were trying to troubleshoot a problem and they ran out of fuel. All 3 guys were focused on that one light and nobody was monitoring anything else. On top of that, the captain was a total asshole.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_173

That's interesting.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    AZDuck said:
    Yup!

Thanks for Googling that for me. I'm just fucking lazy to actually include links, etc.

;) <----------
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,496

AZDuck said:

whlinder said:

whlinder said:

Gurgle

Did you study that case in a class at UW, too?
  • Options
    Founders Club

Did you study that case in a class at UW, too?

I know you're being sarcastic, but the answer is no.
  • Options
    I love flight stuff. Salon used to have a column called "Ask the Pilot" which I used to read. Find it all very fascinating, but I've never flown anything myself. Although I am lucky to have a few friends with pilot licenses, so I've been able to experience a little bit of that.

Googling, just noticed that he now has a blog. (Probably not citrus)

I'll be out for a while...
  • Options
    Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

I love flight stuff. Salon used to have a column called "Ask the Pilot" which I used to read. Find it all very fascinating, but I've never flown anything myself. Although I am lucky to have a few friends with pilot licenses, so I've been able to experience a little bit of that.

Shoot @OZONE a PM. Maybe he'll take you flying in his Mallard. That is, if he can take time off from shuttling Helfrich back and forth between Eugene and Coos Bay.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,086
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

AZDuck said:

Shoot @OZONE a PM. Maybe he'll take you flying in his Mallard. That is, if he can take time off from shuttling Helfrich back and forth between Eugene and Coos Bay.
    I laffed. HH must attract pilots or some shit.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

AZDuck said:

I laffed. HH must attract pilots or some shit.
    You won't find a bigger group of degenerates than pilots.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    BayDawg said:

^^^ Trolled by an airplane. ^^^