Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

General thoughts

Sankey is really good

A healthy Keith Price who gets time to throw is a dangerous weapon

Oline looked much better, but still needs to cleanup penalties

Dline has some issues, but Hau'oli is looked like a beast, especially after missing so much time. But we need to figure out a pass rush and how to hold the end on those sweeps.

Sark was lucky his game/clock management at the end of the 1st half did not come back to bite him. And if you think the stadium was full of Sark lovers, they were not sitting in my section, especially after he neglected to call a timeout after Price's 6yd run on the last drive of the 2nd qtr.

Shamburger was a pleasant surprise. He looked very fast and aggressive and made a couple of really nice hits.

Jordan Polk was electric tonight.

Mark Brunell is a stud.

Stadium gets 2 thumbs up.

Comments

• I know I'll regret it but I'll give the mick a thumbs up.

- I noticed the crowed boo'd Sark for going into halftime with 3 timeouts instead of taking a shot so perhaps we aren't in the minority like I thought.

- Price played terrific. Just like what was mentioned in five reasons he was the best player on the field nuff said on that.

- The DL was shaky but the secondary made up for it. No YAC at all for their WR's. A lot of 3-4 yard gains non stop but no big plays at all.

- Mickens was a difference maker. Didn't see that one coming. Sure nice to see him live up to his 4 star status and hopefully this is the start of a fabulous career at Washington!
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

The thing that surprised and pleased me was that our hurry-up offense didn't look like a confused clusterfuck out there. We looked mostly organized and like we had confidence and knowledge of what we were doing.

Not a small point here. I really thought we were going to all fucked up out there, but instead, we looked like we had been doing this awhile. At least Sark finally started copying a winner - so thanks Chip.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,389 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

The thing that surprised and pleased me was that our hurry-up offense didn't look like a confused clusterfuck out there. We looked mostly organized and like we had confidence and knowledge of what we were doing.

Not a small point here. I really thought we were going to all fucked up out there, but instead, we looked like we had been doing this awhile. At least Sark finally started copying a winner - so thanks Chip.
    Now opponents have some film on us so we shall see what they do to adapt.
  • Swaye said:

It did feel like an Oregon game where in the first half the game felt close even though we were dominating then in the second half they were dog ass tired so UW prevailed.

The only teams who beat Oregon have great DL play and I suspect that will be the only way this hurry up offense is shut down or if Sark goes back to his old ways and gives up giving the ball to Sankey.

If a team isn't deep at DL that is going to kill them. This whole conference runs this offense now with Cal, ASU, AZ, WSU and of course Oregon so our lack of depth on DL is going to hurt us at some point.

Swaye said:

It did feel like an Oregon game where in the first half the game felt close even though we were dominating then in the second half they were dog ass tired so UW prevailed.

The only teams who beat Oregon have great DL play and I suspect that will be the only way this hurry up offense is shut down or if Sark goes back to his old ways and gives up giving the ball to Sankey.

If a team isn't deep at DL that is going to kill them. This whole conference runs this offense now with Cal, ASU, AZ, WSU and of course Oregon so our lack of depth on DL is going to hurt us at some point.
    Yeah, our DL will bite us this year for sure. Also think Stanford is the rock to our scissors.
  • Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Yeah, our DL will bite us this year for sure. Also think Stanford is the rock to our scissors.
    I was hoping since we are paper soft we'd be the paper to their rock.
  • Swaye said:

I'm telling you, this was a new sideline Sark for sure. Maybe Woodward told him to get his shit together (doubt it), or maybe he reads HH.

But he didn't look like an idiot frat boy last night. Even when up big he looked serious and all business. No jumping on the sidelines like a fucking idiot monkey. No yucking it up like a fat girl at a party looking to get some pipe layed. And he actually looked engaged in the game, instead of his usual:

1) Head buried in the playbook still trying to remember the call for BUBBLE SCREEN
    2) Slack jawed retard staring blankly at the jumbotron dreaming of a Dick's burger for his triple chin

Maybe he was channeling a real Coach last night. I don't fucking care. Just win.

I honestly think Sark knows the heat is on him. Even during the interview with Rick when Rick called him seven win Steve you could tell it burned him and that wasn't the first time he's heard that.

Even after the game he admitted he didn't even noticed the crowd he was so focused on the game. Up 31-6 he started to run the ball but kept Price in there and we still ran our offense. He was still focused on getting one more score.

I liked up 24-6, Wilcox calls a corner blitz. How many times in the past have we seen the Huskies go to prevent there? That dates back to when Lambo was head coach even. I loved that we didn't let up one bit.

If you didn't know better that looked like Oregon last night kicking the shit out of a good opponent. Like Oregon on defense they didn't look dominant yet at the end of the day allowed only 6 points. On offense they just wore you down and broke through in the second half.
    YRYK. We did look like Oregon. Show flashes in the first half, and absolutely go fro the throat in the second when the D is physically dead. Like I said some other fucking place, about time Sark tried to emulate a winner - Chip.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,521 Founders Club
    A part of me died after seeing them implement elements of Chip's (really Rich Rod's) offense, but whatever ...they executed very well and cfb, like the NFL, is full of copycats.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    Winning > gimmicky offenses.

Nebraska and Virginia tech copied uw back in the 90s and it worked fine for them.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Winning > gimmicky offenses.

Nebraska and Virginia tech copied uw back in the 90s and it worked fine for them.

When did Nebraska ever copy UW? Are you talking defense?

• Winning > gimmicky offenses.

When did Nebraska ever copy UW? Are you talking defense?

I was confused by that too. I know Rick copied Nebraska with the option attack.

Far as defensively I remember Arizona copying UW's attacking style of defense from 1992-1994.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    as long as the offense works I couldn't give a shit if it's gimmicky. Our pro style offense last year was crap, our gimmicky offense is a way better fit for our personnel. Especially for our o-line
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    Yes I am referring to defense. Point is who gives a shit as long as it works.
    Nebraska tried mimick what uw did with personell and va tech even copied the scheme as well as personel.
    When the wishbone came out people probably said the same thing.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    edited September 2013

Swaye said:

How are they going to adapt when there are multiple guys who are playmakers (Sankey, ASJ, Kasen, Ross, Mickens)? You have 5 guys who are tough to defend 1 on 1.

This offense should roll over most teams and produce against UCLA & ASU. Stanford & Oregon will be the real tests with UCLA & ASU next.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

Swaye said:

How are they going to adapt when there are multiple guys who are playmakers (Sankey, ASJ, Kasen, Ross, Mickens)? You have 5 guys who are tough to defend 1 on 1.

This offense should roll over most teams and produce against UCLA & ASU. Stanford & Oregon will be the real tests with UCLA & ASU next.
    I know Chip has been asked to explain his "complex" offense on several occasion, and he always says it is pretty simple, get a helmet on a helmet and set your skill guys up with 1 on 1 matchups.