Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    That was a surprisingly good list. Thanks for posting it.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,631 Founders Club
    The 72 Trojans were an awfully great team. What a cool day to be ranked ahead of them
  • MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,602

2008 USC belongs. That team lost a Thursday night game at Oregon State but dominated every other game and finished the season #2. They probably had the best defense after the '91 Huskies.

2000 UW should be ranked ahead of both 01' Oregon and '13 Stanford. Neither of those teams beat Miami. 2000 Oregon State was probably better than any team they beat as well.

Beating #14 Purdue after a 3 way tie for the Pac10 championship is always special.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    I'd argue there was actually a lot of talent in the '00 secondary. Lowe, Vontoure, Curtis W, Derrick J, Alexander we're all big time talents -- albeit at different stages of development.

Paul Arnold, Rich Alexis, Chad Ward. There were some players on that team. Nothing like '91, though.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,987
    TTJ said:

I'd argue there was actually a lot of talent in the '00 secondary. Lowe, Vontoure, Curtis W, Derrick J, Alexander we're all big time talents -- albeit at different stages of development.

Paul Arnold, Rich Alexis, Chad Ward. There were some players on that team. Nothing like '91, though.

Big-time talents? Vontoure may be the most talented corner Washington has ever had. The rest on that list were ok at best. Alexander was crazy fast, but that's about it. Williams was a solid safety, and a helluva wife-beater, but I'd put him on the good but not great list.

Ward was a good lineman. Funny that he didn't have an NFL career (like most on that 2000 team). Paul Arnold was never the same after the back - HE was a crazy fucking talent but it didn't pan out of for him because of early injury. Rich Alexis was a very limited running back. Classic Nebraska power-I type guy, but could not to save his life find a hole between the tight ends.

Tui and Stevens made that team go on O, and Towns and Tripplett on D. When Vontoure did play, he was fucking awesome. Could cover and shut down anybody and was solid against the run because he was a real (as opposed to 'listed') 6 footer and played with ballz. Brutal player on the corner blitz. Loved that kid. Hate like fuck what happened to him. When someone yells they can't breathe you ought to hedge your bets and assume they're telling the truth. Fuckers. Kid needed help.
    edited September 2015
    04 SC best team of BCS era? Fuck me, fuck you, fuck them, fuck everybody.

'01 Canes beat them all. That '04 USC team sent a lot of players to the NFL never to be heard from again. The '01 Canes sent more, and racked up pro bowls and super bowls. There is at least one, likely two, HOFamers on that team in Reed and Johnson. Maybe even one or two more.

Fuck me, fuck you, fuck them, fuck every fucking body. '04 SC my fucking ass. I don't even put them at #2 all-time conference.

Fuck. Just fucking fuck fuck.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,466 Founders Club

'01 Canes beat them all. That '04 USC team sent a lot of players to the NFL never to be heard from again. The '01 Canes sent more, and racked up pro bowls and super bowls. There is at least one, likely two, HOFamers on that team in Reed and Johnson. Maybe even one or two more.

Fuck me, fuck you, fuck them, fuck every fucking body. '04 SC my fucking ass. I don't even put them at #2 all-time conference.

The '01 Canes would have been flustered by the '91 Husky defense. But the Cane defense probably would have slowed down the husky offense to make it close.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,507 Swaye's Wigwam
    Fuck '84 BYU with venom-coated bayonet
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    H

01 Canes were the most talented cfb team in the history of ever. But they were coached by Larry Coker. Nobody in 01 could hang with them, but the other historically great teams had enough talent to stay close and most of them had far superior coaches.

I wouldn't put 01 Miami in the top ten teams of all time because of Coker. Coaching matters.

The '01 Canes would have been flustered by the '91 Husky defense. But the Cane defense probably would have slowed down the husky offense to make it close.
    Doubt it. Miami was so fuckkng balanced it was ridiculous. Passing game, running game, great TE play ... They had answers for everything. Portis was awesome between the tackles with speed vision and physicality , gore was sick davenport could hurt you running the ball or catching out of the backfield McGhee was a freak stud with speed and power. They had a line to go with it and throwing to Shockey and 'Dre Johnson. Come on man. Washington '91 saw nothing close to that balance and fire power all season.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,507 Swaye's Wigwam

Doubt it. Miami was so fuckkng balanced it was ridiculous. Passing game, running game, great TE play ... They had answers for everything. Portis was awesome between the tackles with speed vision and physicality , gore was sick davenport could hurt you running the ball or catching out of the backfield McGhee was a freak stud with speed and power. They had a line to go with it and throwing to Shockey and 'Dre Johnson. Come on man. Washington '91 saw nothing close to that balance and fire power all season.
    No one gives a fuck dude, jesus

UW '91 would shut out any faggy ass Miami team, ever

You're on the wrong board
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279

No one gives a fuck dude, jesus

UW '91 would shut out any faggy ass Miami team, ever

You're on the wrong board
    Sounds like you give a fuck dude.
    edited September 2015
    dnc said:

H

01 Canes were the most talented cfb team in the history of ever. But they were coached by Larry Coker. Nobody in 01 could hang with them, but the other historically great teams had enough talent to stay close and most of them had far superior coaches.

I wouldn't put 01 Miami in the top ten teams of all time because of Coker. Coaching matters.

Not that year it didn't. Mediocre coaching catches up to you eventually but could not hold back a team like that. See the story of cocker shitting his pants int he locker room b4 the rose because of playing Nebraska (remember Larry spent most of his career at osu getting his ass handed to him by the classy huskers) and reed telling him to calm the fuck down because there is no way Nebraska can hang with them.

Top ten? You're high. Of course coaching matters in the long run and even the mid term, but for one season? With that team? Nope. That team had more talent on its fucking bench than 91 Washington could have handled. I could have coached them for one season.

Bottom line: Miami's line could have doubled on emtman and handled the rest without much trouble (Dwight Freeney, one of the best pass rushers in the NFL for what seems like forever, didn't touch Dorsey, so I'm not seeing Andy Mason or anyone else on that defensive front doing it either.) That would have exposed what I always thought was a vastly overrated d backfield on that D. That Miami line was awesome in pass protection.

Miami '01 runs away with that game rather easily. When they were focused, which wasn't always the case, they were fucking scary good and just overwhelmed other teams.