Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Danny Shelton Tweets about Sark

2»

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyJW said:

Nothing brings respect to your organization when the team gets to punish the boss.

Sark has absolutely no idea how things work in the real world. His coaching clusterfuck at SC may eclipse that of Kiffen's. Let's just hope he's not fired before it comes to fruition
    What I don't get after having watching Pete Carroll in Seattle now and how he runs the team. Both Sark and Kiffen were given their jobs because Pete's recommendation to USC. How the fuck could neither of them learned anything from Carroll?
    They did, they just learned the wrong thing. They gravitated to the Hollywood, celebrity culture that Pete embraced, but ignored the ultra competitive nature of PC. The only reason Pete can get away with the rah rah, players coach shit is because he's the hardest working, most competitive motherfucker in the business. That and he actually has a legitimate coaching specialty (defensive backs specifically and defense in general), and a phenomenal eye for talent.

The high-energy, competitiveness and eye for talent are things you can't teach. The defensive coaching Sark and Lane didn't learn anything about because they're offensive guys. So they grabbed the one thing they could from Pete - let's have fun. It's also the one thing about Pete that won't work without all the others.

In related news, the Hooks are fucked when Pete retires and they inevitably hire one of his "proteges".
    Great post, but I don't think it's entirely true about Kiffin. Kiffin isn't a good coach, but he's a serious football guy.
    Yeah he's not the life of the party that Pete and Sark are, and I still think @GrandpaRace was right and we'd have been better off hiring Lane and Monty than Sark. But Kiffin has a lot of Sark's sloppiness in him, right down to booze in the locker room.

The big difference is Lane had someone to learn coaching from besides Pete. Sark barely ever worked for anyone else. Another in the litany of reasons he was a dumbfuck hire.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,888 Founders Club

In related news, the Hooks are fucked when Pete retires and they inevitably hire one of his "proteges".

Fortunately for the 12's, both Kiffin and Sark should be available.

Thank you Allah!
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,888 Founders Club
    dnc said:

dnc said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyJW said:

Nothing brings respect to your organization when the team gets to punish the boss.

Sark has absolutely no idea how things work in the real world. His coaching clusterfuck at SC may eclipse that of Kiffen's. Let's just hope he's not fired before it comes to fruition
    What I don't get after having watching Pete Carroll in Seattle now and how he runs the team. Both Sark and Kiffen were given their jobs because Pete's recommendation to USC. How the fuck could neither of them learned anything from Carroll?
    They did, they just learned the wrong thing. They gravitated to the Hollywood, celebrity culture that Pete embraced, but ignored the ultra competitive nature of PC. The only reason Pete can get away with the rah rah, players coach shit is because he's the hardest working, most competitive motherfucker in the business. That and he actually has a legitimate coaching specialty (defensive backs specifically and defense in general), and a phenomenal eye for talent.

The high-energy, competitiveness and eye for talent are things you can't teach. The defensive coaching Sark and Lane didn't learn anything about because they're offensive guys. So they grabbed the one thing they could from Pete - let's have fun. It's also the one thing about Pete that won't work without all the others.

Great post, but I don't think it's entirely true about Kiffin. Kiffin isn't a good coach, but he's a serious football guy.
    Yeah he's not the life of the party that Pete and Sark are, and I still think @GrandpaRace was right and we'd have been better off hiring Lane and Monty than Sark. But Kiffin has a lot of Sark's sloppiness in him, right down to booze in the locker room.

The big difference is Lane had someone to learn coaching from besides Pete. Sark barely ever worked for anyone else. Another in the litany of reasons he was a dumbfuck hire.
    One of the biggest issues of hiring Sark before you saw what he could actually do.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club
    dnc said:

The obvious advantages Bradley and Quinn have over Sark is they are defensive coaches and may have gleaned a lot from PC on that side of the ball. Also they are not career Pete assistants so they have succeeded other places with non PC talent at their disposals.

But my guess is Bevell is the replacement.

I know you're being sarcasmic, but they're going to hire a defensive coach to replace him.

I saw a list of the 20 best coaches in the history of the NFL. Here are some of the "modern" names...

Jimmy Johnson
    Tom Coughlin
    Mike Shanahan
    Tony Dungy
    Joe Gibbs
    Bill Parcells
    Bill Bellichek

I don't give a shit who agrees with these names or not, it's not my list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/feature/index?page=greatestcoaches

What I wonder is how many of these coaches are considered offensive or defensive coaches? Anyone know off the top of their head? I am wondering if there is a noticeable difference in the number of D vs O guys who are considered top flight guys.
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

The obvious advantages Bradley and Quinn have over Sark is they are defensive coaches and may have gleaned a lot from PC on that side of the ball. Also they are not career Pete assistants so they have succeeded other places with non PC talent at their disposals.

I know you're being sarcasmic, but they're going to hire a defensive coach to replace him.

I saw a list of the 20 best coaches in the history of the NFL. Here are some of the "modern" names...

Jimmy Johnson - defensive
    Tom Coughlin - offensive
    Mike Shanahan - offensive
    Tony Dungy - defensive (interesting since he was a QB himself)
    Joe Gibbs - offensive
    Bill Parcells - defensive
    Bill Bellichek - defensive

What I wonder is how many of these coaches are considered offensive or defensive coaches? Anyone know off the top of their head? I am wondering if there is a noticeable difference in the number of D vs O guys who are considered top flight guys.
    It's a pretty even split, at least of the names you listed.
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

Jimmy Johnson - defensive
    Tom Coughlin - offensive
    Mike Shanahan - offensive
    Tony Dungy - defensive (interesting since he was a QB himself)
    Joe Gibbs - offensive
    Bill Parcells - defensive
    Bill Bellichek - defensive

It's a pretty even split, at least of the names you listed.
    I knew you would know. That is interesting. I figured there would be a much higher percentage of defensive guys...that list was made a couple years ago...you could probably throw PC on it now, but it wouldn't drastically skew the results. Interesting, or not.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,156
    2001400ex said:

The only argument is the protégés, as 2 of them are head coaches in the NFL and both are clearly more accomplished already than Sark.

lol, i remember when sark netted an extension because "the vikings wanted to talk"
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
    doogville said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

2001400ex said:

HuskyJW said:

The last sentence is a very important point about Sark.

Most great coaches had or have to toil as assistants in less than desirable locations and move up gradually. Saban was a coach for 23 years before he got to Michigan St. That included stops at Kent St, West Virginia, Navy, Toledo, Cleveland before Michigan St, LSU and Alabama.

Urban Meyer worked for 16 years before being a HC. He had stops at Illinois St, Colorado St, Bowling Green and Utah before he hit the big time.

Pete coached for 15 years before being a HC. I would guess its 15-20 years for most.

Sark only coached 9 years! And he didn't have to toil in shit jobs and locations like these other guys. He was in LA the entire time aside from one year with the Raiders. His whole career has been at USC and UW. He never had an undesirable position or was at an undesirable school.
    His career trajectory is really astounding. Have to give him props. He's spent the past decade boozing it up with his boys and has made millions while ascending to a premier college football head coaching gig.

I'll have some of what he's having (which is patron, apparently).
    I'm sure Norm Chow has been LOLing more this week than he has in his entire life.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Another guy with a career similar to Sark is Neuheisel. Only coached 9 years before becoming HC at Colorado. Was only an OC for one season. Coached mostly at UCLA, then Colorado which was a top 10 program at the time.

Rick is very articulate and therefore a lot more polished and more serious than Sark. Maybe Sark gets fired in the same way Rick did?

Another guy with a career similar to Sark is Neuheisel. Only coached 9 years before becoming HC at Colorado. Was only an OC for one season. Coached mostly at UCLA, then Colorado which was a top 10 program at the time.

Rick is very articulate and therefore a lot more polished and more serious than Sark. Maybe Sark gets fired in the same way Rick did?

I thought RN was never an OC (promoted from QB corch)?

Ty was never a coordinator either.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Except for the Cotton Bowl and Rose Bowl wins, but still.
    Gladstone said:

Sark would kill himself to come remotely close to a 2000esque season.

The judges would also have accepted "piss all over himself"
  • 90sHuskyFan90sHuskyFan Member Posts: 215
    It'd be shameful if @drunksark were to tweet to Danny that a six pack would only last the first 25 steps or so... Just sayin