Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Dexter Charles sold the couch

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2015

HFNY said:

My guess of the starting OL @ BSU:

LT: Coleman Shelton, RS-Soph
    LG: Jake Eldrenkamp, RS-JR
    C: Tufunga, RS-SR
    RG: Brostek, RS-JR
    RT: Matt James, RS-Frosh

McGary is probably the top OT off the bench since I've never heard anything even slightly positive about Kirkland.

I don't see McGary playing this year at all. Gotta remember he is really raw, I think he is a year away from contributing for us. He looks great, but needs to learn the position.

Adams got A LOT of work yesterday at LT. I think like others that he is starting by end of the year.
    I've never seen McGary, but could he be a guy that by mid season or the end of the year can contribute? Am I wrong for seeing James more of a placeholder because he's more refined in his technique, understands the position, etc?
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,612
    Damn, I was really hoping we could RS Adams.

HFNY said:

McGary is probably the top OT off the bench since I've never heard anything even slightly positive about Kirkland.

I don't see McGary playing this year at all. Gotta remember he is really raw, I think he is a year away from contributing for us. He looks great, but needs to learn the position.

Adams got A LOT of work yesterday at LT. I think like others that he is starting by end of the year.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

HFNY said:

I've never seen McGary, but could he be a guy that by mid season or the end of the year can contribute? Am I wrong for seeing James more of a placeholder because he's more refined in his technique, understands the position, etc?
    I think that is possible. He certainly physically looks very good. I am not an expert in OL play, but I am just guessing since he has only played the position for a year now he is likely behind some guys.

The coaches really like Matt James, but I think he might be a place holder at RT for right now until one of those big tackles is ready to take over at RT for him. I could however see him moving to guard or center down the road though.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,799
    HFNY said:

Damn, I was really hoping we could RS Adams.

HFNY said:

Sounds like he is already nasty and pancaking guys so as long as he's physically ready I'm fine with him playing. Looks like Pete can recruit the lines well so fuck it lets win now.
    Gladstone said:

Adams will start by midseason.

I hope not. Starting frosh OL at the line rarely, rarely ends well.
    I don't think this is a staff that would risk a career.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

Gladstone said:

oh yeah, forgot we have an adult in charge. Of course Adams will redshirt.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,718 Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

Which is why Sark started 3 freshman OL last year.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,316
    some of you are forgetting that Adams isn't reggie williams
    Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

oh yeah, forgot we have an adult in charge. Of course Adams will redshirt.
    I'm more saying if he plays then he's ready to play. Maybe he's one of the guys that physically handle it, he sounds like a tough son of a bitch.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,051 Standard Supporter
    Offensive linemen that play as true freshman seem to always get hurt and have chronic injuries afterward. Porter and Koehler come to mind. Brostek was another one that was hurt and albeit mismanaged.

If Adams is physically ready to take on the role then great. If not just redshirt him. Tsio anyways. 2040 will be special.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

Oh no! We'll be missing a guy who sucks!!! What will we do?!?

Though, I think this burns Adams' redshirt.

Whoever was behind him sucks more.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Gladstone said:

At UW that is true. I'm not sure about other places. I can think of quite a few OL that played at true freshman that turned out fine. Most of those guys were 5 star recruits, but if Adams is in the two deeps he probably plays.
    I'd say it's the easiest for OGs to step in and play.

Winston Justice started about a decade ago for USC as a true frosh OT and did well enough.

OT Tyrell Crosby for Oregon got some PT and maybe even started a few games and did ok.

USC started 3 frosh OL last year but 2 of them were OGs.

My biggest concern is injury over performance when true frosh usually have to go against guys who are a few years older than them and thus have spent multiple years in a CFB weight training program to handle the rigors of starting / playing a lot of plays.

Gladstone said:

At UW that is true. I'm not sure about other places. I can think of quite a few OL that played at true freshman that turned out fine. Most of those guys were 5 star recruits, but if Adams is in the two deeps he probably plays.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    Gladstone said:

You usually will see the talent come out with running blocking pretty quickly, but yeah usually lots of pass pro breakdowns.
    Good point, another reason why it's easier for true frosh OGs to play than OTs.

Gladstone said:

You usually will see the talent come out with running blocking pretty quickly, but yeah usually lots of pass pro breakdowns.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Gladstone said:

We running option this year. No need for pass protection.

Yes, I said "we"