Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Washington Poised For Downturn Under Petersen

Comments

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2015
    Roadie of course everything is speculation. I'm forming a long-term outlook based on UW's ability to recruit in the top 25, what he's done with recruiting so far, his background and track record at Boise, etc. Never did I say it was a foregone conclusion. I'm laying out what we should realistically expect for the next few years and for the next 10. Since the end of last year I've been saying that either year 3 or year 4 should be the inflection point for an acceleration in progress.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Boise St in the 7 years prior to Pete was #34. They were #11 in his eight years.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2015

@HeretoBeatmyChest said it best. Pete is good. Give him some fucking time.

Taking last year—a year where he obviously ripped everything down to the studs—as being 'concerning' is a little weird. I hate Babushka as much as the next guy, but let's see what happens this and next year when they get their guys in.

These are a lot of cliches, but in this case I fear they are true because Pete actually does have a system, his kind of guys, etc. Sark had none of that shit. Sark just took over the roster and said F it. So did Neu. I don't even know what Gilby did.

This season will be a lot more diagnostic. Although @RoadDawg55 likes to point to the UCLA game as being the basis of all his fears, that game was really a 'wrong place, wrong time' for everything that was going on last year.

It's instructive to me that we played way, way better as the season went on. You can say that's because we got shitty opponents, but that's not really the case. We played like shit against everyone early and by the end of the year, we blew the doors off 2 mediocre/bad teams (OSU and WSU). If we'd played Hawai'i again at the end of the season, we'd have destroyed them.

I think Pete's record gives him the privilege of a 'half-full glass' look. If you look at last year as a half full glass, the read is pretty simple:

He told everyone to suck it and do it his way. He dicked around a lot to just see what people would do, could do, were willing to do.

By the end of the year, we were really not very bad as he got people to play more 'his way', started using the 'talent' better and minimizing the impact of Miley on shit.

The Okie State game was just another Sark-era setback where people backslid with mental intensity. We actually played well in the second half, but it was too late.

This is why people picking us to be shit because we lost players is sort of missing the point. Shaq did make big plays, true; but when we 'got good' Shaq was almost irrelevant. MP was clearly irrelevant, it was really just Danny (who was totally inconsistent before last year) and Hau'oli who had only been good against crap teams.

I should just erase this poast as it's Teqfuckinglong, but I'm hung over so I'm typing. Fuck it.

We played well against Illinois and Cal early in the year. Cal on the road was probably the best game of the season. I don't buy that the team improved so much late in the year. They were average. Some weeks they played reasonably well, other weeks not so much. That's what average teams do.

And more power to you for keeping the optimism in the face of last season's results. I get that it's only one season, but The assessment that Pete came in and said, "Fuck it, we are doing this my way" has some merit, but his offenses have been shit for three years. That's a trend.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Taking last year—a year where he obviously ripped everything down to the studs—as being 'concerning' is a little weird. I hate Babushka as much as the next guy, but let's see what happens this and next year when they get their guys in.

These are a lot of cliches, but in this case I fear they are true because Pete actually does have a system, his kind of guys, etc. Sark had none of that shit. Sark just took over the roster and said F it. So did Neu. I don't even know what Gilby did.

This season will be a lot more diagnostic. Although @RoadDawg55 likes to point to the UCLA game as being the basis of all his fears, that game was really a 'wrong place, wrong time' for everything that was going on last year.

It's instructive to me that we played way, way better as the season went on. You can say that's because we got shitty opponents, but that's not really the case. We played like shit against everyone early and by the end of the year, we blew the doors off 2 mediocre/bad teams (OSU and WSU). If we'd played Hawai'i again at the end of the season, we'd have destroyed them.

I think Pete's record gives him the privilege of a 'half-full glass' look. If you look at last year as a half full glass, the read is pretty simple:

He told everyone to suck it and do it his way. He dicked around a lot to just see what people would do, could do, were willing to do.

By the end of the year, we were really not very bad as he got people to play more 'his way', started using the 'talent' better and minimizing the impact of Miley on shit.

The Okie State game was just another Sark-era setback where people backslid with mental intensity. We actually played well in the second half, but it was too late.

This is why people picking us to be shit because we lost players is sort of missing the point. Shaq did make big plays, true; but when we 'got good' Shaq was almost irrelevant. MP was clearly irrelevant, it was really just Danny (who was totally inconsistent before last year) and Hau'oli who had only been good against crap teams.

I should just erase this poast as it's Teqfuckinglong, but I'm hung over so I'm typing. Fuck it.

We played well against Illinois and Cal early in the year. Cal on the road was probably the best game of the season. I don't buy that the team improved so much late in the year. They were average. Some weeks they played reasonably well, other weeks not so much. That's what average teams do.

And more power to you for keeping the optimism in the face of last season's results. I get that it's only one season, but The assessment that Pete came in and said, "Fuck it, we are doing this my way" might have some merit, but his offenses have been shit for three years.

I agree that things should get better with time, but still. There are plenty of things to be concerned about.
    You're just bitter because Miley turned out to be a bag of shit and you thought he was great. So, you're overly cynical because you—even during games—thought we were getting decent-to-good QB play.

If you ever want to make yourself feel like a fuck wad, you should definitely go back in to game threads from last year and read your Miley dooging. It was unstoppable.

I read through one of them a couple months ago for some laps, because obviously I was being an insane idiot, and your Miley dooging gave me a few uncontrollable cringes.

Anyway, none of that matters. But, I do think it explains your cynicism when it comes to people and how we performed last season.
    I've admitted many times that Miley sucked and I was wrong, but okay. I'm still waiting for Lavon Coleman to prove he shouldn't be playing at Montana. I'm not bitter about anything. We played worse when the other QB's got their chance. Miley and the QB's were a large part of the problem. 3 years of bad offense is three years Denny. We've had these threads many times already so there isn't a need to hash it out again.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Coleman win the Heisman you asshole!!
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,610
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Miles was less of a problem than Smith
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Coleman BBK win the Heisman you asshole!!

FTFY
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

And more power to you for keeping the optimism in the face of last season's results. I get that it's only one season, but The assessment that Pete came in and said, "Fuck it, we are doing this my way" might have some merit, but his offenses have been shit for three years.

I agree that things should get better with time, but still. There are plenty of things to be concerned about.
    You're just bitter because Miley turned out to be a bag of shit and you thought he was great. So, you're overly cynical because you—even during games—thought we were getting decent-to-good QB play. And so you attribute a lot of us being horrible on offense to Pete, when it was really just that Miley was fucking awful and we couldn't do shit with him in games.

If you ever want to make yourself feel like a fuck wad, you should definitely go back in to game threads from last year and read your Miley dooging. It was unstoppable.

I read through one of them a couple months ago for some laughs, because obviously I was being an insane idiot, and your Miley dooging gave me a few uncontrollable cringes.

Anyway, none of that matters. But, I do think it explains your cynicism when it comes to pete and how we performed last season.
    In honor of rereading last year's game threads, here is the Zona recap.

http://forum.hardcorehusky.com/discussion/15261/doogles-hardcore-game-thread-recap
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2015
    I don't think 3 years is a trend, at least not with 2 different programs, two different rosters, and 3 different starting QBs:

2012: Joe Southwick

2013: Grant Hendrick

2014: Cyler Miles (also starts by Lindquist and Troy Williams).

I wonder how Petersen would've done in 2014 at BSU with Hendrick returning at QB, Jay Ajayi returning at RB, and his top 2 WRs returning as well...I have to imagine the BSU's offense would've improved under CP in 2014 like it did under Bryan Harsin.

And more power to you for keeping the optimism in the face of last season's results. I get that it's only one season, but The assessment that Pete came in and said, "Fuck it, we are doing this my way" has some merit, but his offenses have been shit for three years. That's a trend.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

You're just bitter because Miley turned out to be a bag of shit and you thought he was great. So, you're overly cynical because you—even during games—thought we were getting decent-to-good QB play. And so you attribute a lot of us being horrible on offense to Pete, when it was really just that Miley was fucking awful and we couldn't do shit with him in games.

I read through one of them a couple months ago for some laughs, because obviously I was being an insane idiot, and your Miley dooging gave me a few uncontrollable cringes.

Anyway, none of that matters. But, I do think it explains your cynicism when it comes to pete and how we performed last season.
    In honor of rereading last year's game threads, here is the Zona recap.

http://forum.hardcorehusky.com/discussion/15261/doogles-hardcore-game-thread-recap
    I laffed. And bumped that old beauty.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,921
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    To be

Miles was less of a problem than Smith

Smith's playcalling was vanilla as shit but when your quarterback can't even throw the ball 10 yards downfield accurately, that's a way bigger issue than the person calling plays
  • Options
    purpledoogfanpurpledoogfan Member Posts: 502
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    I've admitted many times that Miley sucked and I was wrong, but okay. I'm still waiting for Lavon Coleman to prove he shouldn't be playing at Montana. I'm not bitter about anything. We played worse when the other QB's got their chance. Miley and the QB's were a large part of the problem. 3 years of bad offense is three years Denny. We've had these threads many times already so there isn't a need to hash it out again.

I'm sick and tired of your lying bullshit Roadie. BSU had a fucking top 25 offense in 2013. 22nd in yds per game (476) and 20th in pts per game (37.5). Pete had ONE average year at BSU in 2012 when he was replacing the most productive QB in the history of college football. BSU also happened to go 11-2 that year including the Vegas Bowl victory over UW. So who fucking cares about offensive stats when your team goes 11-2?

Like someone else pointed out in this thread, the two years CP has had an average offense ('12 &'14) he's had shitty QB play. There's not a coach in the country that can produce a top 25 offense without a decent QB. Miley can't throw a football farther than 10 yards. How the fuck do you run an offense with that? The play calling last year lacked creativity because we were held back by shitty QB play. A lot of what CP does on offense is allow the QB to call plays and make changes at the LOS. Kellen Moore was a master at doing this. At the LOS he was able to see the mismatches in personnel and call the correct play to exploit the mismatch. Do you think Miley could do this? Fuck no!

You need the right QB to run Petes offense. Sark left Pete a bunch of fucktards. That's why Pete went out of his way and had been recruiting Browning since he was a freshman. I have confidence that once Browning takes over at QB the offense is going to be just as explosive as it was at BSU. He's going to struggle at first and take his lumps but when he gains the experience and confidence he's going to be great. I expect growing pains this year but we'll all see glimpses of what's to come. Expect 5 or 6 wins this year if Browning starts. Next year 9 or 10 wins.

#StraightUpDoogin
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

I like to say that a coach was only good because of his QB during a historic run of success that many other programs couldn't match.

I like to ignore that the coach still does a lot of other shit like: recruit the QB, Hire the coaches, Instill the culture, develop a nasty defense, recruit other players besides QB, etc.

If the QB was the only thing that mattered in football, Cal would be the favorite in the conference this year.

Petersen may suck here, but anyone can suck anywhere, it doesn't discredit what he did at Boise.

Didn't he also win a Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma back when they were Oklahoma, before he had said quarterback?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2015

I'm sick and tired of your lying bullshit Roadie. BSU had a fucking top 25 offense in 2013. 22nd in yds per game (476) and 20th in pts per game (37.5). Pete had ONE average year at BSU in 2012 when he was replacing the most productive QB in the history of college football. BSU also happened to go 11-2 that year including the Vegas Bowl victory over UW. So who fucking cares about offensive stats when your team goes 11-2?

Like someone else pointed out in this thread, the two years CP has had an average offense ('12 &'14) he's had shitty QB play. There's not a coach in the country that can produce a top 25 offense without a decent QB. Miley can't throw a football farther than 10 yards. How the fuck do you run an offense with that? The play calling last year lacked creativity because we were held back by shitty QB play. A lot of what CP does on offense is allow the QB to call plays and make changes at the LOS. Kellen Moore was a master at doing this. At the LOS he was able to see the mismatches in personnel and call the correct play to exploit the mismatch. Do you think Miley could do this? Fuck no!

You need the right QB to run Petes offense. Sark left Pete a bunch of fucktards. That's why Pete went out of his way and had been recruiting Browning since he was a freshman. I have confidence that once Browning takes over at QB the offense is going to be just as explosive as it was at BSU. He's going to struggle at first and take his lumps but when he gains the experience and confidence he's going to be great. I expect growing pains this year but we'll all see glimpses of what's to come. Expect 5 or 6 wins this year if Browning starts. Next year 9 or 10 wins.

#StraightUpDoogin

I don't disagree with a lot of your post, but relying on Miley to do shit he couldn't do was FS. What makes some coaches great is the ability to maximize the talent at hand and fit their schemes to the talent. We had shitty talent, no question. The coaching was shit too. Jmo based on the results.

Kellen Moore was an exceptional QB. Can Pete field a good offense without a Moore? There are issues on the offensive side of the ball. You are a fucking idiot if you believe otherwise.

You hope Browning will be good. I do too. Realistically, he won't be as good as Kellen Moore though.

This is a message board. We talk the good, bad, and ugly. And right now our offense is a 300 pound whale with blisters and warts on her pussy. Forgive me for not having blind faith that the offense will roll after we finished dead fucking last in the PAC 12 last year.

And Boise State scored 6 points at Husky Stadium. With multiple NFL players. That offense sucked.