Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Has a recruit ever mentioned Jonathan Smith as a reason they committed?

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Or mentioned him in any positive light? Or any light at all? Honest question because I can't recall hearing about him ever.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No, but to my knowledge coordinators typically don't recruit much. They do when players are on campus, but the leg work is done by the position coaches.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,510
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He hasn't been fired yet?
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

No, but to my knowledge coordinators typically don't recruit much. They do when players are on campus, but the leg work is done by the position coaches.

Fair point, but when the head coach is talked about by recruits as having a relationship with them infinitely more that the OC........
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,904
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Did any recruit ever mention Eric Kiesau as the reason they committed?
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2015

I don't recall who recruits called out as an influence for their commitment 2 years ago. Getting old ain't pretty. But I've heard commits name Coach K as a factor recently.

As for Kiesau, exactly where is he coaching today?

Here are a few coordinators that I think are known as good/great recruiters in the P12.....

Noel Mazzone - OC - UCLA
    Mike Norvell - OC - ASU
    Scott Frost - OC - Oregon
    Don Pellum - DC - Oregon
    Justin Wilcox - DC - USC
    Kalani Sitake - DC - Oregon State

I'm sure there are more. I just don't pay close enough attention.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Smith only recruits QBs
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Smith only recruits QB

Well, one anyways.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    With Keith B, Chris Strausser, and Jordan Papao being the point men for the O ring recruiting, I don't mind that Smith is seen as a below average recruiter.

The thing that bothers me (beyond the shit sandwich last year) is that I don't know what his offensive philosophy is or what he wants the O's identity to be.

I'm hoping that will change because the offense didn't really lose much from 2014. Miles was an inefficient QB (low ypa in the passing game and not a good runner) and while good pre-injury, KW couldn't get healthy and Riva went out for the season so they didn't play much anyway.

So with more of the guys the O staff recruited on the roster now, he needs to have the offense show more consistency and competency.

And an improved offense would be something he could talk about with recruits, at least when he's not at the farmer's market

• Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    HuskyInAZ said:

I don't recall who recruits called out as an influence for their commitment 2 years ago. Getting old ain't pretty. But I've heard commits name Coach K as a factor recently.

Here are a few coordinators that I think are known as good/great recruiters in the P12.....

Noel Mazzone - OC - UCLA
    Mike Norvell - OC - ASU
    Don Pellum - DC - Oregon
    Justin Wilcox - DC - USC

Mazzone is a terrible recruiter. From what I follow I would strike out Norvell and Wilcox too.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    HuskyInAZ said:

Noel Mazzone - OC - UCLA
    Mike Norvell - OC - ASU
    Don Pellum - DC - Oregon
    Justin Wilcox - DC - USC

He isn't. He's an off-the-field assistant for Alabama.

Kinda funny how Sark didn't bring his OC of 2 years with him down to USC, wasn't retained by Petersen, was a WR coach at Kansas for a year and now doesn't even have coaching duties.
  • Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited August 2015

HuskyInAZ said:

Noel Mazzone - OC - UCLA
    Mike Norvell - OC - ASU
    Don Pellum - DC - Oregon
    Justin Wilcox - DC - USC

Kinda funny how Sark didn't bring his OC of 2 years with him down to USC, wasn't retained by Petersen, was a WR coach at Kansas for a year and now doesn't even have coaching duties.
    Keith price would phone Nuss after he left for Bama to ask for advice instead of listening to Kiesau. just what I remember, don't twist
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

HuskyInAZ said:

Noel Mazzone - OC - UCLA
    Mike Norvell - OC - ASU
    Don Pellum - DC - Oregon
    Justin Wilcox - DC - USC

I don't know how good of a coach Kiesau is, but he got caught in no man's land. Sark had a lot of pressure to retain Helton and Tee Martin (WR coach) is considered a great recruiter and also coached Marquis Lee and Robert Woods.

A year ago, poasters here mocked Tosh for being an off the field assistant for Alabama. Now, he's the LB coach. Kiffin was an off the field assistant as well and is now the OC. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what Kiesau is doing. Maybe it's not such a bad gig?
    I thought Tosh did things the wrong way, or at least that's just what I was hearing. Sounds like Nick Saban is imploding, don't twist. #doogtalk
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The only real answer to the original question is:

Of course not.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    HuskyInAZ said:

Fair point, but when the head coach is talked about by recruits as having a relationship with them infinitely more that the OC........
    I remember Nussmeier being mentioned quite a bit by recruits, actually. Kiesau I heard mentioned a few times but mostly by lower-level guys or QBs talking about what they did on their visit which obviously would include meeting with their OC. Before that, Tim Lappano was just a lights-out recruiter. Everybody wanted to play for him. Same with John Pettas. Ace recruiter and quarterback whisperer, is what I heard. But Lappano and Pettas never had to deal with a quarterback who had trust issues either.