Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Concerns over WR recruiting

Comments

• FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    @HeretoBeatmyChest you still like our WRs? Lenius developing into a #1?
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,043 Standard Supporter

Uh, Renfro and McClatcher were 4-star kids, Pettis had a good year for a true frosh and has been mentioned as a possible All Pac-12 candidate this year. Lenius chose us over Miami and looked really good in limited time last year.

What the F do people want?

Look, I think Fuller sucks, I think Little sucks, I think Andre B. is likely to suck and Pounds makes me yawn... but give it a rest.

If there are ever topics that overlap here and at doogman the poaster should be banned for a week.

When did lenius look good? Maybe he will turn out to be good. But he was nothing last year. Looking at his bio last year he had 7 catches for 56 yards. Half of his yards were on one catch vs ucla.

Wr recruiting is the least of my worries too. But pettis so far is the only young one on the team worth a damn.

Did you see UW football games last year?
    Fuck Dennis for questioning my hatred of lenius.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    Many WR dreams were shattered this year. @Dennis_DeYoung is still picking up the pieces.
    Lenius has firmly made himself a hhb doog legend in this thread alone.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    The WR obsession on this board is weird. It's still one of the least, if not the least important position group. Of course we should want better WR's, but they really weren't the problem this year. And if you believe they were, the real problem was poor development. None of the WR's got noticeably better from last year despite better QB play, which is a good reason for Pease getting axed.

Clemson has their worst WR corps in years and they are in the title game. Alabama's #2 option was Oregon State's #2-3. 2000 UW. The Seahawks.. You get the point. Once we started emphasizing the run the last few games, actually starting the game featuring Gaskin and giving him 25-30 carries instead of 18, the WR's were fine.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    edited January 2016

The WR obsession on this board is weird. It's still one of the least, if not the least important position group. Of course we should want better WR's, but they really weren't the problem this year. And if you believe they were, the real problem was poor development. None of the WR's got noticeably better from last year despite better QB play, which is a good reason for Pease getting axed.

Clemson has their worst WR corps in years and they are in the title game. Alabama's #2 option was Oregon State's #2-3. 2000 UW. The Seahawks.. You get the point. Once we started emphasizing the run the last few games, actually starting the game featuring Gaskin and giving him 25-30 carries instead of 18, the WR's were fine.

It's weird that you think it's weird. First, southern miss only stayed in the game because of their WRs.

Second, if we had Clemson's talent at other positions, I doubt WR would get as much attention here. But we don't.

Right now we have nobody (perhaps John Ross) that can take the lid off the defense and consistently get separation. As a result, Browning's throwing windows are much tighter.

Agree for the most part but our wr's can't even block adequately too often. Scheme can get you open but you can't drop the fucking ball.

Summary....

Just don't screw up the position and if you get a playmaker that's a plus.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited January 2016

Least important doesn't mean unimportant. The Seahawks receivers might not be elite but they make the plays they're asked to make (three in the top ten in catch rate including two in the top 5) and they're willing blockers, too. Alabama has had Julius Jones (h/t to sachiko for the edit: Julio, dammit) and Amari Cooper during their run, I doubt Saban agrees that receivers don't matter.

UW doesn't win the 91 title without Super Mario.

I don't think this bored is obsessed with WR's, if anything I think this bored has overcorrected on WR's because Sark attracted 4 star wideouts like ISIS attracts homocidal psychopaths. "Sark thought receivers were most important, therefore they don't matter at all."

They aren't everything, but they do matter. UW isn't going to make the leap to a playoff caliber team unless they either do a better job of recruiting receivers or a better job of developing them. Or probably abundance.
  • MrsPetersenMrsPetersen Member Posts: 724
    Julius Jones? Is that Julio's younger brother?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    dnc said:

Least important doesn't mean unimportant. The Seahawks receivers might not be elite but they make the plays they're asked to make (three in the top ten in catch rate including two in the top 5) and they're willing blockers, too. Alabama has had Julius Jones (h/t to sachiko for the edit: Julio, dammit) and Amari Cooper during their run, I doubt Saban agrees that receivers don't matter.

I don't think this bored is obsessed with WR's, if anything I think this bored has overcorrected on WR's because Sark attracted 4 star wideouts like ISIS attracts homocidal psychopaths. "Sark thought receivers were most important, therefore they don't matter at all."

They aren't everything, but they do matter. UW isn't going to make the leap to a playoff caliber team unless they either do a better job of recruiting receivers or a better job of developing them. Or probably abundance.
    Orlando McKay is often over looked but he stretched defenses big time on that 91 team. We also had at least two great tight ends that could block and catch and probably chew gum as well.

McKay and Mario were small and over looked but could actually play the game. to me, Mario not winning the Heisman is the biggest gripe ever in that category for the Huskies. It was a field devoid of an obvious superstar and Mario was the best player on the best team
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Orlando McKay is often over looked but he stretched defenses big time on that 91 team. We also had at least two great tight ends that could block and catch and probably chew gum as well.

McKay and Mario were small and over looked but could actually play the game. to me, Mario not winning the Heisman is the biggest gripe ever in that category for the Huskies. It was a field devoid of an obvious superstar and Mario was the best player on the best team
    You think Mario was better than Stan Empterman??