Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Concerns over WR recruiting

124»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    dnc said:

dnc said:

The WR obsession on this board is weird. It's still one of the least, if not the least important position group. Of course we should want better WR's, but they really weren't the problem this year. And if you believe they were, the real problem was poor development. None of the WR's got noticeably better from last year despite better QB play, which is a good reason for Pease getting axed.

Clemson has their worst WR corps in years and they are in the title game. Alabama's #2 option was Oregon State's #2-3. 2000 UW. The Seahawks.. You get the point. Once we started emphasizing the run the last few games, actually starting the game featuring Gaskin and giving him 25-30 carries instead of 18, the WR's were fine.

Least important doesn't mean unimportant. The Seahawks receivers might not be elite but they make the plays they're asked to make (three in the top ten in catch rate including two in the top 5) and they're willing blockers, too. Alabama has had Julius Jones (h/t to sachiko for the edit: Julio, dammit) and Amari Cooper during their run, I doubt Saban agrees that receivers don't matter.

UW doesn't win the 91 title without Super Mario.

I don't think this bored is obsessed with WR's, if anything I think this bored has overcorrected on WR's because Sark attracted 4 star wideouts like ISIS attracts homocidal psychopaths. "Sark thought receivers were most important, therefore they don't matter at all."

They aren't everything, but they do matter. UW isn't going to make the leap to a playoff caliber team unless they either do a better job of recruiting receivers or a better job of developing them. Or probably abundance.
    Orlando McKay is often over looked but he stretched defenses big time on that 91 team. We also had at least two great tight ends that could block and catch and probably chew gum as well.

McKay and Mario were small and over looked but could actually play the game. to me, Mario not winning the Heisman is the biggest gripe ever in that category for the Huskies. It was a field devoid of an obvious superstar and Mario was the best player on the best team
    You think Mario was better than Stan Empterman??
    I didn't know Stan was eligible
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

dnc said:

The WR obsession on this board is weird. It's still one of the least, if not the least important position group. Of course we should want better WR's, but they really weren't the problem this year. And if you believe they were, the real problem was poor development. None of the WR's got noticeably better from last year despite better QB play, which is a good reason for Pease getting axed.

Clemson has their worst WR corps in years and they are in the title game. Alabama's #2 option was Oregon State's #2-3. 2000 UW. The Seahawks.. You get the point. Once we started emphasizing the run the last few games, actually starting the game featuring Gaskin and giving him 25-30 carries instead of 18, the WR's were fine.

Least important doesn't mean unimportant. The Seahawks receivers might not be elite but they make the plays they're asked to make (three in the top ten in catch rate including two in the top 5) and they're willing blockers, too. Alabama has had Julius Jones (h/t to sachiko for the edit: Julio, dammit) and Amari Cooper during their run, I doubt Saban agrees that receivers don't matter.

UW doesn't win the 91 title without Super Mario.

I don't think this bored is obsessed with WR's, if anything I think this bored has overcorrected on WR's because Sark attracted 4 star wideouts like ISIS attracts homocidal psychopaths. "Sark thought receivers were most important, therefore they don't matter at all."

They aren't everything, but they do matter. UW isn't going to make the leap to a playoff caliber team unless they either do a better job of recruiting receivers or a better job of developing them. Or probably abundance.
    Orlando McKay is often over looked but he stretched defenses big time on that 91 team. We also had at least two great tight ends that could block and catch and probably chew gum as well.

McKay and Mario were small and over looked but could actually play the game. to me, Mario not winning the Heisman is the biggest gripe ever in that category for the Huskies. It was a field devoid of an obvious superstar and Mario was the best player on the best team
    You think Mario was better than Stan Empterman??
    I didn't know Stan was eligible
    If my memory serves he finished fourth, second most first place votes. Can't remember if he got invited to New York but I want to say he did.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

@HeretoBeatmyChest you still like our WRs? Lenius developing into a #1?

The WRs should have been better. Mickens had the talent of a #1 but coaching never got through to him. Lenius and Pettis did not make the big leap from year 1 to 2 that many good freshman do.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited January 2016

I can fix your receiver problem. I'm tanned, rested, and ready
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,678 Founders Club
    Very intrigued in what you're talking about here. Those are some big numbers for a true freshman WR. I think Marcel Reece was 6'2" (UW listed him at 6'3" but the Raiders list him at 6'2") and 240 as a Junior or Senior. This Jones kid probably puts on another 5-15 pounds over the next couple of years and will be in that Reece range. Have you seen him play?

A deep sleeper is Jamon Jones....a 6'2" 227 lbs preferred walk-on who redshirted in 2015. He was a QB in high school, was also a track guy (high jump, long jump and triple jump...sprints and hurdle too), and also was a 2nd team All-League basketball player. If that doesn't scream potential for vertiginously loose hips, I don't know what does.

• ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    I remember the good old days when coaches like Sark and Slick got us 10-15 WRs per class....
  • HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170

Very intrigued in what you're talking about here. Those are some big numbers for a true freshman WR. I think Marcel Reece was 6'2" (UW listed him at 6'3" but the Raiders list him at 6'2") and 240 as a Junior or Senior. This Jones kid probably puts on another 5-15 pounds over the next couple of years and will be in that Reece range. Have you seen him play?

A deep sleeper is Jamon Jones....a 6'2" 227 lbs preferred walk-on who redshirted in 2015. He was a QB in high school, was also a track guy (high jump, long jump and triple jump...sprints and hurdle too), and also was a 2nd team All-League basketball player. If that doesn't scream potential for vertiginously loose hips, I don't know what does.

I remember seeing Jones at one of the practices I attended and being impressed by his size. Then I watched him try to catch passes. Stone-hands Mickens puts his hands to shame.

Maybe he all of a sudden learned how to catch a football, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    Heard a rumor that Dylan Crawford will be visiting next weekend
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,713 Swaye's Wigwam

Heard a rumor that Dylan Crawford will be visiting next weekend

After hearing about Eddie McDoom, I can see this rumor actually materializing.

Then he RTs:

Not to mention this cryptic tweet:
    Michigan is also bringing another WR in for an official visit this weekend and Michigan is in his final 2.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1633524-stewart-down-michigan-and-stanford
  • pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    The entire "Long is a lock to Michigan" contingent on this bored has cited Crawford's commitment as a impetus for David Long choosing Ann Arbor.

This wide receiver development doesn't really feel like Harbaugh is really prioritizing Crawford. He's found a new toy. Time to sell the couch.

It's certainly good news for UW if Crawford does in fact visit this weekend. We need WR help badly.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    dnc said:

Well, Eklund just said that 'scouts questioned CTY's toughness' - which, in my 81% accurate Eklund translating algorithm, means, "he's a good player and I'm not quite sure why he hasn't gotten better offers so I will talk about something that can't be seen on his film like I did with Bishop Sankey."

Pretty sure that means he's really good.

Fetters WDWHA'd Taylor Mays because he wasn't "tuff" enough for safety. Mays was about 5 times the safety anybody we? had on our? roster was back then.

The LPT evaluating tuffness is almost as funny as them evaluating athleticism.
    I think it is just a way for them to.