Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Someone please convince me that our OC and our offense isn't a complete dumpster fire.

Comments

• HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,344 Swaye's Wigwam
    Lindquist can actually throw the deep ball. This will soften up the defense so they can't crowd the line so Dwayne Washington can have a little bit of a running lane.

Combine that with our Fred Biletnikov award winner at wide receiver as well as being able to lineup in a 8 tight end formation we will be OK.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Too many unknowns to refer to this offense as the worst in Husky history... just yet.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited July 2015
    Smith sucks. Everyone keeps ignoring Peterman's last two seasons at Boise though. They scored 6 points in Husky Stadium with 2 NFL skill players (Ajayi, Boldewijn) , a couple other decent WR's (Miller, Moore) and a decent QB. I can't speak on their OL, but I don't remember them being noticeably bad in that game. Edit: Yikes, two OL from that team were drafted.

Let's not pretend that UW defense was great either. They were maybe above average and got shredded quite a few times that season.

I would like to blame it all on Smith, and he was a terrible hire, but Smith isn't the one choosing the fucktarded no huddle, but slow as molasses offense. Peterman's teams having offensive issues started before Smith, which is why Prince (the old Boise OC) wasn't brought over.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Smith sucks. Everyone keeps ignoring Peterman's last two seasons at Boise though. They scored 6 points in Husky Stadium with 2 NFL skill players (Ajayi, Boldewijn) , a couple other decent WR's (Miller, Moore) and a decent QB. I can't speak on their OL, but I don't remember them being noticeably bad in that game. Let's not pretend that UW defense was that great either. They were maybe above average and got shredded quite a few times that season.

I would like to blame it all on Smith, and he was a terrible hire, but Smith isn't the one choosing the fucktarded no huddle, but slow as molasses offense.

Boise had no chance in winning that game THAT night ...

Ajayi was consistent getting 3-5 yard gains (23 for 93) but really never broke anything (longest run was 18 yards).

Southwick was 25 of 40 but only averaged 3.8 yards per attempt. What I recall that night was that the Boise WRs had a difficult time getting separation combined with a strong pass rush making it a challenge for Boise to ever seriously consider stretching the field.

That was EASILY the best game that the 2013 defense played all year.
    I'm cautiously optimistic about the offense ...

I will gladly trade for a strong armed QB with accuracy issues compared to a noodle armed QB with accuracy issues.

I do worry a bit about the OL and their ability to rumble. I'm hopeful that they will be able to run block enough to allow us to continue running the ball 60-65% of the time and a high enough percentage of our passes being off of play action and moving the pocket (which I think we can do more with Lindy than with Miles) to limit their weaknesses.

I expect more out of the RB position this year ... that position grouping as a whole should be improved and there should be plenty of carries to go around.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about Lenius and Pettis. Mickens is what he is. Would love to see more out of the TE position this year and in particular Daniels.

I don't think we'll have an offense that will be a world beater at all, but I do think that we'll have some improvements. What I'm targeting is as follows:

Average 4.5+ yards per carry (was at 4.3 last year)
    Average 7.5+ yards per pass attempt (was at 7.0 last year)
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Tequilla said:

Smith sucks. Everyone keeps ignoring Peterman's last two seasons at Boise though. They scored 6 points in Husky Stadium with 2 NFL skill players (Ajayi, Boldewijn) , a couple other decent WR's (Miller, Moore) and a decent QB. I can't speak on their OL, but I don't remember them being noticeably bad in that game. Let's not pretend that UW defense was that great either. They were maybe above average and got shredded quite a few times that season.

I would like to blame it all on Smith, and he was a terrible hire, but Smith isn't the one choosing the fucktarded no huddle, but slow as molasses offense.

Boise had no chance in winning that game THAT night ...

Ajayi was consistent getting 3-5 yard gains (23 for 93) but really never broke anything (longest run was 18 yards).

Southwick was 25 of 40 but only averaged 3.8 yards per attempt. What I recall that night was that the Boise WRs had a difficult time getting separation combined with a strong pass rush making it a challenge for Boise to ever seriously consider stretching the field.

That was EASILY the best game that the 2013 defense played all year.
    Ajayi is a beast. Amsterdam from Hard Knocks made the Falcons. Matt Miller was a very good college WR. Kirby Moore was decent. Southwick wasn't great, but was a pretty decent QB. 2 NFL OL. That's 4 NFL players, Matt Miller (going to training camp) and a returning QB in Joe Southwick. 6 points. They got dominated. Some of that is on coaching, and that wasn't happening in the previous Petersen years.
    @RoadDawg55 seems to be suffering from a severe case of confirmation bias to fit his narrative.

I'd challenge anybody else that was at the game to provide their viewpoints of the game. In many respects, I was actually very impressed with what Boise did that night ... there wasn't anything there for them all night.

From time to time there are games where regardless of what happens, one team is going to win that game. UW wasn't losing that night.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,711 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

@RoadDawg55 seems to be suffering from a severe case of confirmation bias to fit his narrative.

I'd challenge anybody else that was at the game to provide their viewpoints of the game. In many respects, I was actually very impressed with what Boise did that night ... there wasn't anything there for them all night.

From time to time there are games where regardless of what happens, one team is going to win that game. UW wasn't losing that night.

We would've also accepted:

Meh. This is just classic confirmation bias. It's telling because we want it to be telling. But these exact comments are made by players every single time there's a regime change. Sometimes they're telling, sometimes they're not. Time will tell.

Either way it will be interesting.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Tequilla said:

I was pretty drunk, but I recall Boise moving the ball rather easily. Just never converted into points.

Tequilla said:

I was pretty drunk, but I recall Boise moving the ball rather easily. Just never converted into points.
    Yep ... lots of slow and steady ball movement during the game. 23 total 1st downs. 8 of 19 on 3rd down. 346 total yards. 1 turnover. 2 penalties for 19 yards.

And who knows, perhaps my memory is jaded as well ... I was passed out drunk before the game before rallying for kickoff.

I thought Boise played really well against us. That was, in fact, the game that really made me respect Petersen (because I watched it so closely). That was simply a case of a team with way more talent on a night where they had all the momentum just dominate an inferior team.

He beat us in Vegas the previous December? Why aren't we talking about THAT game?

Jesus.

Fucking this.

This is what had sold me on Petersen so much as well because it was painfully evident in person the talent gap that was on the field with the Jimmy's and the Joe's.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I remember watching the replay of that game and seeing Petersen's face a few times in the 2nd half. That game was like a freight train of emotion for UW, pretty much nothing was going to stop them from losing to BSU that night and Petersen's face showed that.

And all that said I was furious that we left that team in the game in the first half.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    edited July 2015
    Tequilla said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the offense ...

I will gladly trade for a strong armed QB with accuracy issues compared to a noodle armed QB with accuracy issues.

I do worry a bit about the OL and their ability to rumble. I'm hopeful that they will be able to run block enough to allow us to continue running the ball 60-65% of the time and a high enough percentage of our passes being off of play action and moving the pocket (which I think we can do more with Lindy than with Miles) to limit their weaknesses.

I expect more out of the RB position this year ... that position grouping as a whole should be improved and there should be plenty of carries to go around.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about Lenius and Pettis. Mickens is what he is. Would love to see more out of the TE position this year and in particular Daniels.

I don't think we'll have an offense that will be a world beater at all, but I do think that we'll have some improvements. What I'm targeting is as follows:

Average 4.5+ yards per carry (was at 4.3 last year)
    Average 7.5+ yards per pass attempt (was at 7.0 last year)

"Continue running 60%-65%"
    About 15% of FBS ran that much last year. Utah and UW ran the ball nearly 57% (tops in pac12) but I don't think it's coincidence that those teams also had the two worst QBs in the entire conference. Doubt that was planned as an ideal but rather a mitigation against bad QBs in the game plan. Even recent Stanford teams haven't ran 60% of the time.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/rushing-play-pct
    Washington threw the ball 400 times last year ... ran it 607 times. Surely some of those runs were designed passes that either turned into sacks or QB keepers. Probably the difference between the 57% you are talking about and the 60% I'm citing.

But given the makeup of the UW offense and its relative strengths, that type of balance is probably what you should be expecting again in 2015.