Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Petersen Question From Stewart Mandel's Mailbag

124»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,641 Founders Club
    Nature abhors a vacuum and Stanford filled the one we left. that's obvious ballbag
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,602
    It's a combo of Stanford and Oregon. Neither were consistently good until we went in the tank from 2004 - 2008.

They are still consistently good since dude brah came and left. Since 2015 is another transition year, hard to see us not going 0-2 against them again. Last time UW even went 1-1 vs. those two was in 2012 (narrow win over Stanford at the Clink).

Nature abhors a vacuum and Stanford filled the one we left. that's obvious ballbag

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

I agree with the posts here, but just to throw it out there, Dantonio isn't ever in the top 3 for Big Ten recruiting, but he has the 2nd best program in that conference. If Petersen can really coach and develop, he will make it work regardless of where he ends up in recruiting. As seen by the NFL draft, there are tons of good players out there that are missed by the top schools.

While true. That coincides with historically bad Michigan teams, Ohio State sanctions, Pedo State problems, and a general trend of the bottom falling out of the big10. Midwest talent generally has been trending down for awhile (especially in the state of Michigan and Detroit metro area). With Harbaugh, Urban and Franklin in place I think talent acquisition will become an even bigger struggle at MSU. MD is still a very good coach, but like this thread agrees talent matters.
    Fair enough, but the Pac 12's best program is coached by Sark, the bottom of the conference is terrible, and Chip is gone at Oregon.

Ohio State's sanctions only affected them one year when Fickell was their coach. They were really good under Tressell and they've lost two games in three years under Meyer. Penn State had a couple good seasons since 2000, but were mostly average. They weren't that great before the pedo stuff. Wisconsin has been good since Dantonio came along. Discrediting Dantonio is like discrediting Oregon because USC has been down and UW has sucked during their run.

And I fully agree that talent matters. And the teams with the best recruiting rankings are typically the best teams. I'm just saying there is plenty of talent that the TBSers under value or don't even know about.
    Not discrediting, I am citing a reason, and questioning if it will continue. SC being down clearly created a void for teams to step up into - Oregon and UCLA probably being primary beneficiaries. Same with Dantonio. Michigan sucking created an opportunity for MSU, I question if its sustainable for him if Harbaugh gets it going in Ann Arbor. Recruiting and talent dynamics in the Midwest are less attractive than the west coast in my opinion.
    All depends on how many of the recruits that Harbaugh pulls in are local versus national ... same for Meyer and Frankling at Penn St.

Another factor that will be in play will be where the non-local recruits are coming from. It's not uncommon that the above schools focus more on the eastern seaboard down to Florida to get some recruits while I believe Michigan St has a little more of an emphasis in Texas.

In the end, it doesn't matter how you get players as long as you get players ... and once you get the players, you have to coach them up and put them in positions to be successful.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    To build on what Ballbag and Roadie were saying (I like to call him Roadie), the top of the Pac-12 is now weaker than it was when Sark was at UW. You had Carroll, Harbaugh and Kelly at the top. Given the coaches that are in the conference now it shouldn't be difficult for Petersen to get back near the top without recruiting in the top 3.

The two best programs have two of the worst coaches (USC, Oregon). I don't expect Mora to be at UCLA for a long time. Graham won't be at ASU for a while and even if he's there he's not a threat the way Chip Kelly would be or a top flight coach at USC.

Its pretty simple. Pete needs to recruit a lot better or develop guys the way he did at Boise. The hope is he can develop what he has over the next few seasons and at that point take recruiting up a notch. When you are recruiting at 3.4+ per year per guy you can be a national title contender with the right coach.

Last year we were at 3.21 and this year my guess is this year we will be around 3.35. The difference can be one or two guys per class. Last years class would be even better with Chris Warren. If we got Eason we may do 3.4 this year. But these things add up over a few years. Imagine not getting Shaq in 2012 and John Ross in 2013.

To get that next level Pete needs to do a bit better in recruiting and basically get one more star player per class. On the field, this season we need to see something from the offense. There are a handful of talented guys (Washington, Pettis, Lenius, Daniels) who need to breakout. That would be a really good sign.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,559 Founders Club

I think Kim's FS comments from when Peterman was hired have some inflating his recruiting results. Last year's class was sixth in the PAC 12 on 24/7 and 5th on Scout. That's right in the middle. It's pretty good, but other schools recruit good players too.

Fair point. It's mildly concerning. Don James' juggernaut teams did have really, really good talent. I don't even know if they ranked teams nationally in fucking 1988, but those classes were probably top 12, and back then pissant teams like Oregon weren't real competition.

I've never expected Peterson to have a Chimp like run. Only a few teams can do that. It's probably going to be more like 8-6, 7-6, 10-3, 11-2, 9-4 and so on.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Oregon isn't recruiting like Don James did. UO hasn't really recruited Northern California really heavily since Bellotti got kicked upstairs. Also, a real change has been Oregon going national to get a fair percentage of their recruits - so more kids are coming to Eugene from Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee and what-not rather than scraping around So Cal.

This is one area where Slingblade is looking really good - the school's recruiting hasn't fallen off at all, and may even be a bit better than under the Chimpster.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    AZDuck said:

Oregon isn't recruiting like Don James did. UO hasn't really recruited Northern California really heavily since Bellotti got kicked upstairs. Also, a real change has been Oregon going national to get a fair percentage of their recruits - so more kids are coming to Eugene from Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee and what-not rather than scraping around So Cal.

This is one area where Slingblade is looking really good - the school's recruiting hasn't fallen off at all, and may even be a bit better than under the Chimpster.

I know Oregon recruits nationally, but you sure have had a lot of good players from Cali. DAT, Johnstone, Ifo, Tony Washington, Armstead, Troy Hill. Quite a few current starters or projected starters as well: Freeman, Marshall, Carrington, Hunt, Hardrick, the good Robinson brother. Your main base seems to still be Cali. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

AZDuck said:

I know Oregon recruits nationally, but you sure have had a lot of good players from Cali. DAT, Johnstone, Ifo, Tony Washington, Armstead, Troy Hill. Quite a few current starters or projected starters as well: Freeman, Marshall, Carrington, Hunt, Hardrick, the good Robinson brother. Your main base seems to still be Cali. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You're not wrong - but Oregon has been able to pull enough guys from Texas and SECSECSEC cuntry that we don't have to pray that the 5* we want in SoCal doesn't want to go to USC. That and Northern California doesn't seem to be as much of a focus now as it used to be, recruiting wise.

This is probably good for other Pac schools, recruiting wise, because the net effect to is "grow" the Pac-12 recruiting pie, rather than fighting over the best Cali prospects which feels more like a zero-sum game.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732

AZDuck said:

Your point is valid. CA is Oregon's lifeblood. But Tyler Johnstone is not from CA.