Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Petersen Question From Stewart Mandel's Mailbag

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
Stewart, if Boise State returns to the Boise State of old and Washington remains mired in mediocrity, what will it mean? Will it mean that Bryan Harsin was the brains behind Chris Petersen? Will it mean that success at Boise State simply doesn't translate elsewhere? Will it mean that Washington no longer has whatever it had as late as the early 2000s?

-- Joseph V. Manzo, Coral Gables, Fla.

I don't think you can say Harsin was the brains behind Petersen -- like the way we often said Petersen was the brains behind predecessor Dan Hawkins -- because for one thing, those great Boise State teams won with a suffocating defense as much as they did a creative offense. But more to the point, Harsin left for Texas in 2011 and the Broncos kept winning. Petersen was the primary architect behind Boise's extraordinary 84-8 run from 2006-12, and I fully expect him to elevate Washington over the next couple of years.

If that doesn't happen, though, it would raise more questions about Petersen than it would either his current or former employer. While Washington has struggled for more than a decade, it's at no real institutional disadvantage compared with its divisional foes. If anything its location should give it a better chance at success than even Oregon. And while people would inevitably try to correlate Petersen with former Boise coaches Hawkins (Colorado) and Dirk Koetter (Arizona State), who flopped at a higher level, that seems misguided, too. Each of those guys ran the program in their own unique ways, but beyond that, why would Boise be a less likely launching point than Bowling Green (Urban Meyer), Central Michigan (Brian Kelly) or any number of other mid-majors?

Having said all that, Petersen's personality and philosophy were ideally suited to Boise. There's no guarantee they will translate at Washington, but I believe they will.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/2015-sec-media-days-alabama-crimson-tide-florida-state-seminoles-dalvin-cook-mailbag-071515

Comments

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Agree 100%

Thanks for posting
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    edited July 2015
    AEB said:

Of all the Pac-12 jobs, I believe Petersen when he says he really wanted UW and it was a good fit. Personality wise, Seattle suits him well and UW offers the opportunity to build a national powerhouse without compromising his personal wants. Whether he can do it remains to be seen. The early returns from the recruiting classes suggest he might. he's good but not amazing at recruiting.

National powerhouse from two ~20th ranked classes? Surely you jest.

Not that rankings are everything, but we missed on Skinny Eason and lost out on every super big-time guy in Cali last year. Don't get me wrong, I like our recruiting classes, but BBK, Kyler Nanu, DJ Beavers and Andre Bacchanalia are not impressive kids.

We got like 6-8 kids last year that are the kind of kids we were getting in '88-'90: Gaskin, Renfro, McClatcher, Adams, Roberts, Potoa'e, Joyner... you could throw Browning and Neal in there if you were feeling generous. Outside of those guys, it's a fucking crapshoot and even inside those guys you're talking about an expectation of a 2/3 success rate.

Bartlett, Hilbers, McCoy and Scrempos are guys that you could see being good at some point if they develop right.

The rest are just leftovers.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I think Kim's FS comments from when Peterman was hired have some inflating his recruiting results. Last year's class was sixth in the PAC 12 on 24/7 and 5th on Scout. That's right in the middle. It's pretty good, but other schools recruit good players too.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797

...Will it mean that Washington no longer has whatever it had as late as the early 2000s?

-- Joseph V. Manzo, Coral Gables, Fla.

I have no idea what Joseph is referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r5kK4_Wu_0
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,711 Swaye's Wigwam

AEB said:

Of all the Pac-12 jobs, I believe Petersen when he says he really wanted UW and it was a good fit. Personality wise, Seattle suits him well and UW offers the opportunity to build a national powerhouse without compromising his personal wants. Whether he can do it remains to be seen. The early returns from the recruiting classes suggest he might. he's good but not amazing at recruiting.

Not that rankings are everything, but we missed on Skinny Eason and lost out on every super big-time guy in Cali last year. Don't get me wrong, I like our recruiting classes, but BBK, Kyler Nanu, DJ Beavers and Andre Bacchanalia are not impressive kids.

We got like 6-8 kids last year that are the kind of kids we were getting in '88-'90: Gaskin, Renfro, McClatcher, Adams, Roberts, Potoa'e, Joyner... you could throw Browning and Neal in there if you were feeling generous. Outside of those guys, it's a fucking crapshoot and even inside those guys you're talking about an expectation of a 2/3 success rate.

Bartlett, Hilbers, McCoy and Scrempos are guys that you could see being good at some point if they develop right.

Keep in mind, coaches are recruiting these players for 2+ years now.

Petersen wasn't recruiting these kids at BSU (except Browning) because none of them would ever go to BSU (except Ryphen). When Petersen moved up to UW in December 2013, he was at a significant disadvantage versus the other schools for 2014 and 2015 because the coaches at those schools had already formed relationships with the recruits. This was more evident from 2014, but all the super big-time guys in California probably knew Mora, Shaw, Helfrich, and Sark for 2+ years before Petersen even watched their film.

Then again, I don't think we'll have very much success with the super big-time guys in California with Petersen at the helm because almost all of those kids don't fit in with Petersen's philosophy. They're flashy and edgy and would never go to a church school like UW. That said, if Petersen can find the guys that are willing to commit to the program and work their assess off, we'll start to see more Sheltons and Kikahas and whatnot in our 2-deeps.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

AEB said:

Keep in mind, coaches are recruiting these players for 2+ years now.

Petersen wasn't recruiting these kids at BSU (except Browning) because none of them would ever go to BSU (except Ryphen). When Petersen moved up to UW in December 2013, he was at a significant disadvantage versus the other schools for 2014 and 2015 because the coaches at those schools had already formed relationships with the recruits. This was more evident from 2014, but all the super big-time guys in California probably knew Mora, Shaw, Helfrich, and Sark for 2+ years before Petersen even watched their film.

Then again, I don't think we'll have very much success with the super big-time guys in California with Petersen at the helm because almost all of those kids don't fit in with Petersen's philosophy. They're flashy and edgy and would never go to a church school like UW. That said, if Petersen can find the guys that are willing to commit to the program and work their assess off, we'll start to see more Sheltons and Kikahas and whatnot in our 2-deeps.
    So fucking what. Results or door ass out. Until we get 2-3 kids from Cali EVERY YEAR that have USC, UCLA and Oregon offers we are fucked.

Also, your church school bullshit is just that: bullshit.

Kids like Tyler Vaughns and Trevon Sidney aren't church school kids.

If we don't beat USC, UCLA and Oregon for kids, we are absolutely fucked. If we don't keep kids like Eason home, we are absolutely fucked. There's no magic formula for the talent, it's simple: get the best kids in Washington, get 2-3 All West-Coast kids out of Cali, then get a good bit of the rest.

We are still in it this year for many kids who matter on that level and if we get none of them, our consolation prize is talking about why 3rd place in the North is still okay in year 5 of Pete.

Once you have that as a foundation: then Pete's system shit will kick in and we'll be able to win the North because we'll have the talent and the coaching, but make no fucking mistake... both are important. Coaching is more important ultimately, sure. But talent fucking matters.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,548 Founders Club

I think Kim's FS comments from when Peterman was hired have some inflating his recruiting results. Last year's class was sixth in the PAC 12 on 24/7 and 5th on Scout. That's right in the middle. It's pretty good, but other schools recruit good players too.

Part of my faith in Pete's recruiting comes from Sidney Jones, Dante Pettis and Will Dissly. All these guys were not highly recruited, but played well as freshmen and were specifically targeted by Pete as guys who hadn't gotten big time offers, but who were good players.

Obviously 1 year is not enough to make a judgment, but to the extent that there is any evidence at all, the evidence points to him doing well picking out players.

He certainly doesn't just offer and recruit every 4-star kid. He is selective and that shows even when he's offering kids that no one else likes.

I keep trashing the midget LBs, WR and Jordan Miller (who is fucking awful), but I do think he's not just crazy; there's something there he likes. His track record at Boise speaks for itself and when you combine that with what we saw out of guys like Jones, Pettis and Dissly last year, I think there's some evidence that his mid-tier guys can be trusted.

No one fucking wins a national championship with a bunch of mid tier guys, though. You get Natty's because you have the 3-stars that turn into Emptermanns and the 4 and 5 star kids are all really outstanding.

Our Natty team was filled with top-level recruits and depth players who were also top level recruits (this is their equivalent star ratings):

QB: Billy Joe Hobert - 4 (Mark Brunell - 4)
    RB: Beno Bryant - 4 (Jay Berry - 4, Nip - 5)
    FB: Matt Jones - 4 (Matt Jones - 4)
    WR: Mario Bailey - 4
    WR: Orlando McKay - 4
    TE: Aaron Pierce - 4 (Mark Bruener - 5)
    T: Kris Rongen - 3 (Andrew Peterson - 5)
    G: Lincoln Kennedy - 5
    C: Ed Cunningham - 4 (Frank Garcia - 3)
    G: Pete Kaligis - 3
    T: Siupeli Malamala - 4 (Tom Gallagher - 4)

DE: Donald Jones - 3 (Jamal Fountaine - 4)
    DT: Stan Emptermann - 3 (D'Marco Farr - 4)
    DT: Tyrone Rogers - 4 (Mike Lustyk - 5, Steve Hoffmann - 5)
    DE: Andy Mason - 3
    LB: Dave Hoffmann - 4/5 (James Clifford - 3/4)
    LB: Jaime Fields - 3/4 (Hilary Butler - 4)
    LB: Chico Fraley - 3/4 (Brett Collins - 3/4)
    DB: Walter Bailey - 4 (William Doctor - 3/4)
    DB: Dana Hall - 4
    DB: Tommie Smith - 5 (Paxton Tailele - 4)
    DB: Shane Pahukoa - 3
    Decent rundown, but everyone knows Emptermann was an unranked 2 star.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971

AEB said:

I did include the qualifier "might." Furthermore I'd take the last two recruiting classes versus any other consecutive classes for a very long time. The path to sustained power is long and requires a few 9 win seasons to establish credibility with the top end recruits. I think we are the path to winning 75-88% of our games which shortens the step to national power.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,711 Swaye's Wigwam

According to your Y-axis, what's the nation's -10th ranked recruiting class like?
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Last 2 years, 10th to 15th were around 3.5.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Petersen's right in the sense that there is no shortcut. Part of what it will take to get better recruits is to do better with the ones that you currently have. Do that and you'll get better players wanting to play for you.

He's able to pull some solid players in right now because he can use his track record at Boise as a sign that he and his staff (and don't underestimate the continuity of his staff as well) know what they are doing. Once he proves that he has UW in a position to compete for conference championships (and ultimately on the national scale) at Washington, the talented players will be lining up wanting to come here.