Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Story time with Uncle Race

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,203
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
The Warrior win brings back memories of the mid 70's NBA which was a lot better than people think. Just because it was on tape delay and near death doesn't mean it wasn't good. I was a big fan. I grew up watching Russell on the NBA game of the week. After that dynasty the Knicks won a couple and the the Lakers finally won one.

Boston came back with a new lineup and won and Kareem got his first as a Milwaukee Buck. You could probably stump the band with that one among the youth of America today. Oscar Robertson was his point guard.

The Sonics were born in 1967 and were just starting to make the playoffs when the Warriors were on the rise. We got to watch a lot of Rick Barry in playoff series. He is way under rated. A truly great player. Got beer poured on his head walking off the court after a playoff game at the Coliseum.

So the Warriors swept the Bullets to win the title. Then the merger and the Sixers formed the first super team by getting the Doctor and George McGinnis to go along with Doug Collins and Bobby Jones.

The Blazers snuck up on folks with Walton as they gelled later in the year. They were underdogs in the Finals. But when Lucas fought Dawkins the series turned and the Blazers won in 6. The next year they were on pace for 75 wins when Walton's foot gave out for the first time. That was the greatest team you never saw. Pure enjoyment to watch. They rushed Bill back for the playoffs against the Sonics which soured Walton on Portland for good. The Blazers are now on the 40 year clock.

The Sixers promised their fans a title but the Bullets won the East and beat the Sonics. The East also had George Gervin and the Spurs from the ABA. I wanted to see either the Spurs or the Sixers in the Finals but we kept getting the Bullets.

It was actually Dr. J that saved the NBA not Magic and Bird. It was the Sixers who were the first opponent for Magic in the Finals. Then the 80's and Stern and the rest is well documented history.

Random Thought

The 72 win Bulls were criticized for losing two games to the Sonics after going up 3-0. How can they be the greatest team of all time???!!!!

The Sonics had Kemp and Peyton at the height of their powers and were a 60 win team.

Keep that in mind when the Grantland analytic douche bags start spouting numbers about how the Warriors are an all time great team.

They aren't. Maybe someday but you need more than one. We just saw a team go to 4 straight Finals and win 2 and they get little respect.

Fuck off

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

The Warrior win brings back memories of the mid 70's NBA which was a lot better than people think. Just because it was on tape delay and near death doesn't mean it wasn't good. I was a big fan. I grew up watching Russell on the NBA game of the week. After that dynasty the Knicks won a couple and the the Lakers finally won one.

Boston came back with a new lineup and won and Kareem got his first as a Milwaukee Buck. You could probably stump the band with that one among the youth of America today. Oscar Robertson was his point guard.

The Sonics were born in 1967 and were just starting to make the playoffs when the Warriors were on the rise. We got to watch a lot of Rick Barry in playoff series. He is way under rated. A truly great player. Got beer poured on his head walking off the court after a playoff game at the Coliseum.

So the Warriors swept the Bullets to win the title. Then the merger and the Sixers formed the first super team by getting the Doctor and George McGinnis to go along with Doug Collins and Bobby Jones.

The Blazers snuck up on folks with Walton as they gelled later in the year. They were underdogs in the Finals. But when Lucas fought Dawkins the series turned and the Blazers won in 6. The next year they were on pace for 75 wins when Walton's foot gave out for the first time. That was the greatest team you never saw. Pure enjoyment to watch. They rushed Bill back for the playoffs against the Sonics which soured Walton on Portland for good. The Blazers are now on the 40 year clock.

The Sixers promised their fans a title but the Bullets won the East and beat the Sonics. The East also had George Gervin and the Spurs from the ABA. I wanted to see either the Spurs or the Sixers in the Finals but we kept getting the Bullets.

It was actually Dr. J that saved the NBA not Magic and Bird. It was the Sixers who were the first opponent for Magic in the Finals. Then the 80's and Stern and the rest is well documented history.

Random Thought

The 72 win Bulls were criticized for losing two games to the Sonics after going up 3-0. How can they be the greatest team of all time???!!!!

The Sonics had Kemp and Peyton at the height of their powers and were a 60 win team.

Keep that in mind when the Grantland analytic douche bags start spouting numbers about how the Warriors are an all time great team.

They aren't. Maybe someday but you need more than one. We just saw a team go to 4 straight Finals and win 2 and they get little respect.

Fuck off

disagree
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Random Thought

Fuck off

disagree
    disagree with your disagree
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
  • Options

dnc said:

Random Thought

Fuck off

disagree
    disagree with your disagree
    disagree to disagree
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,467
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

NOGAF, HTH

Sounds like you care
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,478
    Swaye's Wigwam
    A great hypothetical would be the 96 sonics against these warriors. I'm taking the sonics.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

A great hypothetical would be the 96 sonics against these warriors. I'm taking the sonics.

The homer in me is right there with you. GP would have given Curry fits. No one on GS could have slowed down Kemp.

But after that, GS wins basically every matchup imaginable. Who is gonna check Klay Klay? What do we do about Bogut? How do we handle Barnes, Igoudala, etc? And that's before you get to Kerr > Karl.

I'd honestly take the Warriors in that series. Would be fun to see GP vs Curry though.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Random Thought

Fuck off

We're just lucky AANDY posts here at all.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

Steve Kerr >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> George Karl

HTH
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The 1996 Sonic team IMO is on the short list of greatest teams to never win a title. They had some depth issues beyond their initial rotation, but it was a 64 win team that swept the 2 time defending champs in the playoffs, beat a 2 time NBA Finalist the next 2 years in Utah, then lost to arguably the best team ever in the Finals.

The only thing that ever bothered me in that series wasn't that we lost as much as people questioning why the Bulls lost games ... That was a very good Seattle team that from '93 to '97 was as good as any team in the league but let egos and personal issues get in the way of winning at the highest level.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Tequilla said:

The 1996 Sonic team IMO is on the short list of greatest teams to never win a title. They had some depth issues beyond their initial rotation, but it was a 64 win team that swept the 2 time defending champs in the playoffs, beat a 2 time NBA Finalist the next 2 years in Utah, then lost to arguably the best team ever in the Finals.

The only thing that ever bothered me in that series wasn't that we lost as much as people questioning why the Bulls lost games ... That was a very good Seattle team that from '93 to '97 was as good as any team in the league but let egos and personal issues get in the way of winning at the highest level.

If I'm ranking MJs Finals opponents:
    1993 Suns
    1998 Jazz
    1997 Jazz
    1992 Blazers
    1996 Sonics
    1991 Lakers (too old and riddled with AIDS)

Maybe 1996 was simply far and away the best bulls team, but they toyed with Seattle. Sonics didn't seem up to that challenge.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

If I'm ranking MJs Finals opponents:
    1993 Suns
    1998 Jazz
    1997 Jazz
    1992 Blazers
    1996 Sonics
    1991 Lakers (too old and riddled with AIDS)

Maybe 1996 was simply far and away the best bulls team, but they toyed with Seattle. Sonics didn't seem up to that challenge.
    ffo kcuf
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

The Karl Sonics were certainly one of the best losers ever.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,151
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

The Karl Sonics were certainly one of the best losers ever.
    *loosers
  • Options
    Comprehensive list of greatest teams to never win a title:

• Options

Comprehensive list of greatest teams to never win a title:

01 Mariners
    96 Sonics
    14 Seahawks
    94 Sonics
    84 Huskies
    78 Sonics
    90 Huskies
    60 Huskies*
    05 Seahawks
    95 Mariners

Fuck Seattle. Fuck Washington. Fuck You. Fuck Me. Fuck Everybody.

*Hi Tawdy!