Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

[SPOILERS] Game of Thrones Finale Discussion [SPOILERS]

Comments

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    And what was Littlefinger doing? Surprised he never showed up in the finale.
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623

It's kind of a big deal that they didn't show Stannis dying. Or not. Either way, it will be interesting.

It is interesting that they didn't explicitly show it, but I think it was a matter of unnecessary special effects budget than trying to mislead the audience. The book uses those gimmicks more than the show does (Arya getting hit in the back of the head with Sandor's axe outside the RW, false reports of Davos' death in AFFC, Ossai, etc.).

The show is a little more straightforward. I think Stannis is ded. Good riddance.

Side thought....what's the O/U that the Boltons burn those bodies outside Winterfell?
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Dardanus said:

It's kind of a big deal that they didn't show Stannis dying. Or not. Either way, it will be interesting.

It is interesting that they didn't explicitly show it, but I think it was a matter of unnecessary special effects budget than trying to mislead the audience. The book uses those gimmicks more than the show does (Arya getting hit in the back of the head with Sandor's axe outside the RW, false reports of Davos' death in AFFC, Ossai, etc.).

The show is a little more straightforward. I think Stannis is ded. Good riddance.

Side thought....what's the O/U that the Boltons burn those bodies outside Winterfell?
    Practically it would make sense just to clean up the fucking mess. Nobody wants dead body smell right outside the gates. Salvage whatever weapons and supplies Stannis had, and burn the dead. Winter IS coming.

But they have no clue about the white walkers (except for the letters Jon and Sam sent to everyone asking for more men) so they don't know they should burn the bodies to prevent them from reanimating. Then again, if/when the zombies get to Winterfell, a few more bodies added to their ranks won't matter.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,112
    Good Changes/ Bad Changes from Books to Season 5:

Good:
    Hurrying up the Daeny-Tyrion stuff: All the Mereen/Yunkai stuff is really boring in the books with Daeny doing a whole lot of sitting around and Tyrion going aimlessly from place to place.

Sansa at Winterfell: No one gives a shit about Jeyne Poole (Sansa's friend who is wed by Ramsey and saved by Theon in the books) and Sansa spends all of Book 4 sitting around with that annoying little twit Robin

Brienne: There are a million chapters where she and Pod wander around in the book and nothing really happens (until the end). Good change.

Jon Snow: Good changes with the Hardhome battle. In the books they spend a lot of time on the subject of whether they can afford to feed the Wildlings. It gets boring.

No Bran: I can't stand that little cockface

Bad:
    Mance Raider and Events at Winterfell: In the books he isn't actually dead and is sent to infiltrate Winterfell posing as a minstrel. There's also Lord Manderly baking Freys into a pie and serving it to the Boltons, and his dealings with Davos. Both of those were cool parts. The show's portrayal of Mance Raider was really weak.

Young Griff being left out:
    Thought it was an interesting story line that there could be another Targaryen

Dorne: Dorne was pretty boring in the books but they made it absolutely laughable in the show. Everything about it sucked. Bronn's story in the book, being married to a retard and constantly foiling Circe's plans to kill him, was one of the best parts of book 4. Also, the plot of Quentyn Martell being left out pretty much destroys the reason for having the Dorne stuff in the first place.

The Greyjoys: It sounds like they may be brought in for season 6 but the Euron/Victarian/Asha/Damphair stuff was one of the more interesting storylines in A Feast For Crows

No Lady Stoneheart: A favorite character from the book and after introducing Beric (for apparently no reason) it seems like the only reason Lady Stoneheart is not in the series is to spite the fans of the books

Circe: In the book, the nuns shave her pubes as well as her head. Horrible decision to stray from the source material in that regard.

Neutral:
    Arya: her stuff in the books is good, but different from the show. The changes the show has made have been decent as well.

Sam/ Gilly/ Aemon: In the books they are traveling to old town the whole time. Same stuff happens, except Gilly has Mance Raider's baby to keep Melisandra from killing it
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,546 Founders Club
    edited June 2015
    Snow is Rhaegar Targaryans son. Ned stark covered for his sister and claimed him as his bastard to protect him from the mad king who would have killed him had he sniffed kings blood in him.

Read the books. Snow will be back.

Edit: Brans destiny is to warg with a dragon and fuck shit up. I haven't watched any of season 5 and will marathon it. Sounds like some serious deviations from the book.
    I heard a theory that Lady Stoneheart was cut because they didn't want it to seem like no big deal when Melisandre resurrects Jon Snow next season.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Doogles said:

Snow is Aegons Targaryans son. Ned stark covered for his sister and claimed him as his bastard to protect him from the mad king who would have killed him had he sniffed kings blood in him.

Edit: Brans destiny is to warg with a dragon and fuck shit up. I haven't watched any of season 5 and will marathon it. Sounds like some serious deviations from the book.

I think this is why the show is leaving out Young Griff.... Jon Snow is the other Targaryean still remaining besides Danerys.

It is why in the show they made a point of having Tyrion point out to Danerys that she is the last Targaryean remaining.

Doogles said:

Snow is Aegons Targaryans son. Ned stark covered for his sister and claimed him as his bastard to protect him from the mad king who would have killed him had he sniffed kings blood in him.

I think this is why the show is leaving out Young Griff.... Jon Snow is the other Targaryean still remaining besides Danerys.

It is why in the show they made a point of having Tyrion point out to Danerys that she is the last Targaryean remaining.
    RR needs to get his shit together. Im going to ghost write the opening scene for season 6:

A funeral in Snow

The nights watch gather around jon snow for a burning ceremony as snow falls all around. After brief words they set torch to his body, except he won't burn (dragons blood like denerys). He unexpectedly rises with ice blue eyes and summons chuck Norris and Steven Segal from the crypt and proceeds to murDer all who live. Gang bang on Melissandra. The end.
  • Citrus4TroogsCitrus4Troogs Member Posts: 248
    Doogles said:

Snow is Rhaegar Targaryans son. Ned stark covered for his sister Lyanna and claimed him as his bastard to protect him from King Robert who would have killed John for both being a Targaryen and out of spite because Rhaegar got to fuck the only woman Robert truly loved.

FIFY

Doogles said:

Snow is Rhaegar Targaryans son. Ned stark covered for his sister Lyanna and claimed him as his bastard to protect him from King Robert who would have killed John for both being a Targaryen and out of spite because Rhaegar got to fuck the only woman Robert truly loved.

FIFY
    I'm drunk.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    the shows has done a lot of good with other plot lines. mereen is WAY better, tyrion takes for fucking ever to get there, he meets a bunch of random people on the way that you don't really care about. i think he joins a circus or something at one point. the show fucked up dorne pretty bad, and myrcella shouldn't be dead, but whatever. it's been a pretty good trade off of better/worse, the show might be better than the books just for the brevity. martin is so long winded in some places

Delving much deeper into complete dork mode, one of the crackpot theories out there is that Tyrion is secretly a Targaryen; the result of the Mad King raping Tywin's wife (and cousin) Joanna during a visit to the Rock, shortly after rejecting Tywin's proposal to betroth Cersei to Rhaegar. Even for being a total dick, Tywin seemed to have an exceeding hatred of Tyrion aside from simply blaming him for killing his mother during birth and always referred to Tyrion as some sort of personal humiliation. This would also give his betrayal of Aerys during the Sack of King's Landing more of a revenge motive.

Someone has to be the third head of the dragon. Dany and Jon are 1 and 2.

Tyrion seems to be getting set up as the third. People have also guessed Bran and Arya, but I doubt they'd have 2 Starks. And neither of them has any Targaryen blood. I wonder how they would explain his back story. Or if they would. The show might just give him some special role (he learns how to command the dragons from reading a book) that makes him useful. I'd rather have the rape backstory. It would make Tywin's actions a lot more understandable.
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623

Delving much deeper into complete dork mode, one of the crackpot theories out there is that Tyrion is secretly a Targaryen; the result of the Mad King raping Tywin's wife (and cousin) Joanna during a visit to the Rock, shortly after rejecting Tywin's proposal to betroth Cersei to Rhaegar. Even for being a total dick, Tywin seemed to have an exceeding hatred to Tyrion aside from simply blaming him for killing his mother during birth and always referred to Tyrion as some sort of personal humiliation. This would also give his betrayal of Aerys during the Sack of King's Landing more of a revenge motive.

Tyrion has the hair and wits of a Lannister. Tywin just hated him because he viewed him as inferior (and possibly blaming him for the Joanna's death).

Tywin had plenty of motivation for turning against Aerys. Essentially holding Jaime hostage (in addition to refusing Cersei's betrothal to Rhaegar) was a huge deal.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Dardanus said:

Delving much deeper into complete dork mode, one of the crackpot theories out there is that Tyrion is secretly a Targaryen; the result of the Mad King raping Tywin's wife (and cousin) Joanna during a visit to the Rock, shortly after rejecting Tywin's proposal to betroth Cersei to Rhaegar. Even for being a total dick, Tywin seemed to have an exceeding hatred to Tyrion aside from simply blaming him for killing his mother during birth and always referred to Tyrion as some sort of personal humiliation. This would also give his betrayal of Aerys during the Sack of King's Landing more of a revenge motive.

Tyrion has the hair and wits of a Lannister. Tywin just hated him because he viewed him as inferior (and possibly blaming him for the Joanna's death).

Tywin had plenty of motivation for turning against Aerys. Essentially holding Jaime hostage (in addition to refusing Cersei's betrothal to Rhaegar) was a huge deal.
    Taking Jamie away as the heir to Casterly Rock, you mean
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    AZDuck said:

so many nerds here

DJ needs to develop a Game of Thrones bored so we can have a safe place away from bullies to talk about the show in the most nerdly way possible. It should be password encypted and you can only enter the bored by answering certain questions about the books.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,635 Standard Supporter

AZDuck said:

so many nerds here

DJ needs to develop a Game of Thrones bored so we can have a safe place away from bullies to talk about the show in the most nerdly way possible. It should be password encypted and you can only enter the bored by answering certain questions about the books.
    The fact that I was the only one in a 3 page thread to mention Natalie Dornan's tits tells me you're all gay nerds.

Now more than ever: Such fag, nerds.

AZDuck said:

so many nerds here

The fact that I was the only one in a 3 page thread to mention Natalie Dornan's tits tells me you're all gay nerds.

Now more than ever: Such fag, nerds.
    They've already been discussed.

Try to keep up.