Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Ben Stein: Hillary Clinton Hasn’t Accomplished Anything in Her Life

1235»

Comments

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,107 Founders Club
    Keep it under the 140 character limit, guys.
  • d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    This thread would have been a lot longer if most of Honda's poasts hadn't been deleted.

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,107 Founders Club
    Colonel Sanders promotes rape culture.
  • MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    PurpleJ said:

Keep it under the 140 character limit, guys.

Gotta channel my inner tequila.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,033 Founders Club
    Muttzen said:

Yes, as someone who works in a bio-related field...

ID as it is in the US is a load of shit.

That isn't to say that isn't more than meets the eye when it comes to humans and their origins and purpose in the universe. I personally think that there is more to evolution than just the blind process of mutated genes and survival of the fittest. I don't really have concrete evidence for this though.

But in the US, ID has been used to try and backdoor creationism into the classroom. In the Dover trial, it was found that they had literally done a ctrl+f creationism, replace with Intelligent Design in the materials that they were trying to get put into classrooms. And then it usually boils down to using God of the gaps type arguments (We don't know how X, therefore God) . Unfortunately for this type of God that lives in the unknown, he gets smaller over time as we figure out more about how reality works.

I do think it would be good to teach limitations of the current evolutionary theory. For example, we do not have a good idea of how the first organisms were able to form, as there were many limitations (chirality of molecules, how to develop the first DNA replication systems. etc). This opens the door for people to insert their own interpretations of the unknown. You could even teach how the properties of the universe "appear" to be fine tuned for life.

Part of what makes this a tricky issue is the fact that there is a continuum of creationist type beliefs. There are the extremist ones who think the Earth is 6000 years old, and the word of the bible is literal truth. Then you have creationists who believe in the scientific age of the universe, but that there was actual creation going on still (god made the species). Then you have people believing that god helped out evolution, god seeded the first life, or god just made the universe and it went on its own.

I think that if schools allowed ID, they would be worried about the literal "earth was made in 7 days" people trying to inject their beliefs into the classroom. I think this is a valid concern. Unfortunately, a side effect may be stifling potential advances in evolution, since any criticism of the current theories can be met with "omg creationism!".

This covers what I think better than I could write it. I don't want creationism in the classroom front door or back door. That's the politics of it.

Just keep My Two Dads on the reading list.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Heaven help us all if some kid hears GOD inside a public building.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,374 Founders Club
    I went to Catholic School like a good little res injun should. Sister Juanita told me God made everything in 7 days. When I questioned her about it, she popped me with a ruler. I learned early - you don't fuck with creationism. This episode also gave me a eerie fetish involving sexy nuns and corporal punishment.

This is all I have to contribute to this thread. And this:

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,493 Standard Supporter
    Note to self, don't open mail from @Muttzen
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    d2d said:

This thread would have been a lot longer if most of Honda's poasts hadn't been deleted.

Why does Stalin only remove hondo's posts that are well written, topical and well thought out?