Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cano

2»

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,526
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Yes if he doesn't have a mid to high .400 SLG and high .300 OBP this year and next, it will be pretty disappointing. I don't think HRs are the end all be all but you'd think he'd average 15-20 HRs his first 3 years in Seattle.

dnc said:

dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

he leads the AL in doubles, not just 2B. He was not the robinson cano that he was in 2012 last year, but 5 WAR is still pretty good.
    And I said that what he's doing this year so far has been subpar, so I'm not sure why it matters how he stacks up to the average #3 hitter.
    .314/.382/.452 is well worth 24 million for a 2B. Now whether he can replicate that this year in the question.

I think you're clinging to that statistical argument just for the sake of arguing. How can you justify that .314 and 14 homers is worth $24 million dollars? That's absurd. That's like saying "But how is Mark Emmert a bad president?"

If I was staked with making the argument his contract IS worth it, I would argue that him leaving New York to come here made it plausible for Cruz to follow suit. And maybe, just maybe, it could start a trend in the future. But I highly doubt it, unless they get this pitching situation figured out quick.
    In this age of baseball. An 830 ops and pretty good defense from a position that is usually an offensive black hole is worth a lot of money
    He's still been significantly worse for the Mariners than Dodgers. The general thought at the time seemed to be that Beltre would play at his Dodger level for a few more years. Last year was a pretty decent fall. This year has been off a cliff, but it is still early.

It's not really about his position. It's about his production vs his production as a Dodge. He's paid 16 million to be one of the best players in baseball.
    This is the same mentality that made Mariners fans hate Adrian Beltre the whole time he was here and then discover he was fucking awesome after he left.

Cano isn't close to the problem on this team.
    To be fair, Beltre hit much worse for the Mariners than he has anywhere else in his career. He was pretty good for the Mariners. He's played at a Hall of Fame level since leaving. Not sure what there is to argue about that.

A #3 hitter with Cano's numbers is a problem. Maybe not the problem, but everyone outside of Felix and Cruz has been a problem.

Cano was brought in to provide at least a couple years of his 2009-2014 level. He hasn't done that. We all know why he was overpaid, and that it was necessary to get him to Seattle, but I think the general expectation was that he would sustain his Yankee level for at least a few years. Last year was a decent slip although he was still a very good player. This year he has slipped even further, at least early on.
  • Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited May 2015

dnc said:

dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

he leads the AL in doubles, not just 2B. He was not the robinson cano that he was in 2012 last year, but 5 WAR is still pretty good.
    And I said that what he's doing this year so far has been subpar, so I'm not sure why it matters how he stacks up to the average #3 hitter.
    .314/.382/.452 is well worth 24 million for a 2B. Now whether he can replicate that this year in the question.

I think you're clinging to that statistical argument just for the sake of arguing. How can you justify that .314 and 14 homers is worth $24 million dollars? That's absurd. That's like saying "But how is Mark Emmert a bad president?"

If I was staked with making the argument his contract IS worth it, I would argue that him leaving New York to come here made it plausible for Cruz to follow suit. And maybe, just maybe, it could start a trend in the future. But I highly doubt it, unless they get this pitching situation figured out quick.
    In this age of baseball. An 830 ops and pretty good defense from a position that is usually an offensive black hole is worth a lot of money
    He's still been significantly worse for the Mariners than Dodgers. The general thought at the time seemed to be that Beltre would play at his Dodger level for a few more years. Last year was a pretty decent fall. This year has been off a cliff, but it is still early.

It's not really about his position. It's about his production vs his production as a Dodge. He's paid 16 million to be one of the best players in baseball.
    This is the same mentality that made Mariners fans hate Adrian Beltre the whole time he was here and then discover he was fucking awesome after he left.

Cano isn't close to the problem on this team.
    It also helped that Beltre started juicing again.
    Mandatory Juicing for the entire Mariner Fucking Team ! We got 116 wins the last time.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I've been saying the power slippage is concerning. Do you Moogs here still poo poo it and think it's no big deal? 14 HR's last year. 1 so far this season. He had hit 25+ from 2009 until last year. Forget about five years from now, that contract is borderline terrible now.

It's not that Cano sucks. His average will rise, but paying a guy 20-25 million for as little power as he has shown is a terrible contract.

14 HR's is the new 35.

Nothing to worry about here. Last I heard a single with no one on base is still a hit.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

I've been saying the power slippage is concerning. Do you Moogs here still poo poo it and think it's no big deal? 14 HR's last year. 1 so far this season. He had hit 25+ from 2009 until last year. Forget about five years from now, that contract is borderline terrible now.

It's not that Cano sucks. His average will rise, but paying a guy 20-25 million for as little power as he has shown is a terrible contract.

A terrible contract??? No. Sorry.

1. The Mariners still cash flow before the first hot dog is sold.

2. The answer is signing even more players. Not wishing the Mariners hadn't taken action.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

A terrible contract??? No. Sorry.

1. The Mariners still cash flow before the first hot dog is sold.

2. The answer is signing even more players. Not wishing the Mariners hadn't taken action.
    Next you will be saying Albert Pujols contract is a good one.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is he a Mariner?... that's what I thought.