Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fain's metamorphosis to the new Gasman is finally complete.

2»

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Tequilla said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

Says the Mariners are playing really well. Its just not showing up in the win-loss column yet.

No need to get down on the team. They're trying really hard.

If you can't see that the pen and ability to get hits with runners in scoring position is at massive levels of failure, then I've got a plunger for you.

That being said, just about everything that COULD go wrong for them at this point of the season IS going wrong for them. The Mariners are also only 2 games behind the Angels for 1st ... which is the team that is the most legit contender with the Mariners for the AL West title (Astros will still do well to get to .500).
    Seattle is dead fucking last in the worst division in baseball, 7.5 games back with less than 30 games played. They have the 4th worst record in baseball. Yet you say "The Mariners are only 2 games behind the Angels for 1st".

Add in the dreaded "just about everything that COULD go wrong for them at this point of the season IS going wrong for them".....

@Jesus_H_Christ, you sound like a fucking coog.
    The Astros are in 1st right now because they had a 10 game winning streak. They will have a lengthy losing streak to counteract it at some point. They have exactly 2 SPs that are worth a damn ... everything else is fucking terrible with their rotation. Before the year I said that they looked like a .500 team to me and I'm standing by that.

The Angels are the team in the West that is the main competition for the division ... that has never changed. Oakland is more or less a .500 team as well and were never expected to be more or less than that this year. Texas is dreck.

The Mariners are 6-7 right now in 1 run games. These are the kind of games that the team is built for winning. At this point only 2-3 relief pitchers you'd look at and say that you're comfortable where they are at at this point. Which is saying something because this is supposed to be a strength of the roster. The pitching in general is good enough to go on an 8-2 run at any point in time if they simply regress to the mean. Offensively Cruz is overperforming but everybody else is underperforming. That should also result in a regression to the mean. I still don't see a reason why they can't get to 90 wins. They were 13-15 after 28 games last year and won 87. They are just 2 games behind the pace that they sat last year.
    It is early, but the Mariners are the 2nd worst team in the AL both record wise and in run differential. The record is no fluke. The starting pitching after Felix is terrible. The bullpen massively overachieved last year. The offense isn't good either, and that is with Cruz being the best hitter in baseball so far.

The expectations were always inflated. For one, this is the Mariners, one of the worst organizations in baseball. The expectation should always be TSIO until proven otherwise.
    It's going to get even worse once Cruz gets busted for PEDs.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

Says the Mariners are playing really well. Its just not showing up in the win-loss column yet.

If you can't see that the pen and ability to get hits with runners in scoring position is at massive levels of failure, then I've got a plunger for you.

That being said, just about everything that COULD go wrong for them at this point of the season IS going wrong for them. The Mariners are also only 2 games behind the Angels for 1st ... which is the team that is the most legit contender with the Mariners for the AL West title (Astros will still do well to get to .500).
    Seattle is dead fucking last in the worst division in baseball, 7.5 games back with less than 30 games played. They have the 4th worst record in baseball. Yet you say "The Mariners are only 2 games behind the Angels for 1st".

Add in the dreaded "just about everything that COULD go wrong for them at this point of the season IS going wrong for them".....

@Jesus_H_Christ, you sound like a fucking coog.
    The Astros are in 1st right now because they had a 10 game winning streak. They will have a lengthy losing streak to counteract it at some point. They have exactly 2 SPs that are worth a damn ... everything else is fucking terrible with their rotation. Before the year I said that they looked like a .500 team to me and I'm standing by that.

The Angels are the team in the West that is the main competition for the division ... that has never changed. Oakland is more or less a .500 team as well and were never expected to be more or less than that this year. Texas is dreck.

The Mariners are 6-7 right now in 1 run games. These are the kind of games that the team is built for winning. At this point only 2-3 relief pitchers you'd look at and say that you're comfortable where they are at at this point. Which is saying something because this is supposed to be a strength of the roster. The pitching in general is good enough to go on an 8-2 run at any point in time if they simply regress to the mean. Offensively Cruz is overperforming but everybody else is underperforming. That should also result in a regression to the mean. I still don't see a reason why they can't get to 90 wins. They were 13-15 after 28 games last year and won 87. They are just 2 games behind the pace that they sat last year.
    It is early, but the Mariners are the 2nd worst team in the AL both record wise and in run differential. The record is no fluke. The starting pitching after Felix is terrible. The bullpen massively overachieved last year. The offense isn't good either, and that is with Cruz being the best hitter in baseball so far.

The expectations were always inflated. For one, this is the Mariners, one of the worst organizations in baseball. The expectation should always be TSIO until proven otherwise.
    Cruz will certainly fall back to earth, but Cano and Seager will bounce back to being good hitters at some point too. Actually almost every hitter on the team is slumping right now. The offense should improve but yes the pitching is a disaster.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    As of a few days ago the M's had the 2nd worst SRS in baseball. Without Cruz they would probably be 5-20.

They won tons of 4-3, 2-1, 3-2 type games last year because the pitching was the best in the league. While the offense is better, even slight regression in the pitching would push them back to average.

The pitching has regressed to the mean, which is average and the offense is below average. The pitching could be above average the rest of the way but it won't matter. Even if they go 74-60, which is a 90 win clip, they'd finish with 85 wins and miss the playoffs.

The Cruz move was a year too late. With him last year they may have made a KC-like run. Now the pitching has regressed to the mean and they have no shot to make the playoffs. They also will be fucked in the years ahead with Cruz and Cano aging and only getting worse.
  • Options

As of a few days ago the M's had the 2nd worst SRS in baseball. Without Cruz they would probably be 5-20.

They won tons of 4-3, 2-1, 3-2 type games last year because the pitching was the best in the league. While the offense is better, even slight regression in the pitching would push them back to average.

The pitching has regressed to the mean, which is average and the offense is below average. The pitching could be above average the rest of the way but it won't matter. Even if they go 74-60, which is a 90 win clip, they'd finish with 85 wins and miss the playoffs.

The Cruz move was a year too late. With him last year they may have made a KC-like run. Now the pitching has regressed to the mean and they have no shot to make the playoffs. They also will be fucked in the years ahead with Cruz and Cano aging and only getting worse.

Was going to flag for SRS but the rest of the post made sense.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Was going to flag for SRS but the rest of the post made sense.
    SRS Inferiority Guy
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Flagged for referencing that the mean is average
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    The sad part is, the M's are the one team Dick is was critical of.

• Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Holy shit this thread is full of dreck.

Why?
    1) Mariners
    2) Doog Fain has been Dooging Fain longer than Gasman ever Dooged a Fain.
    3) TequillaFS
    4) Mariners
    5) Janet Reno
  • Options
    Panicking about the Mariners right now is akin to panicking 2 games into a college football season or 3 games into a NFL season.

I absolutely get some of the reasons many have pointed out here, but to not toss in the towel that this team still isn't the favorite to win the division isn't FS.

But then again, I didn't have serious questions over OKC's ability to make the playoffs (going into a dumpster fire greater than any I could have ever imagined). And likewise, I didn't hold steady on the call that the Mariners would win 85 games last year and took a ton of heat in the process for that.

Let's see where this team is by the end of the month before making too many bold predictions confirming that TSIO
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Awfully warm out for October

crisped
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Panicking about the Mariners right now is akin to panicking 2 games into a college football season or 3 games into a NFL season.

I absolutely get some of the reasons many have pointed out here, but to not toss in the towel that this team still isn't the favorite to win the division isn't FS.

But then again, I didn't have serious questions over OKC's ability to make the playoffs (going into a dumpster fire greater than any I could have ever imagined). And likewise, I didn't hold steady on the call that the Mariners would win 85 games last year and took a ton of heat in the process for that.

Let's see where this team is by the end of the month before making too many bold predictions confirming that TSIO

That 2014 season was magical for our Mariners.

CHRIST
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

They have five days. Let's say a week. They need to have a 4-2 or 4-3 week (I'm not looking up their schedule). It's well into May now and patience is thin.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

They have five days. Let's say a week. They need to have a 4-2 or 4-3 week (I'm not looking up their schedule). It's well into May now and patience is thin.
    Going from under .500 to under .500 will clearly demonstrate that the Mariners are fine.
  • Options
    Still haven't played 20% of their schedule ... Memorial Day is always the first mile post of the season ... LIPO
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Bull Muse agrees.

• Options
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

Going from under .500 to under .500 will clearly demonstrate that the Mariners are fine.
    I never thought they were capable of much more than a max of 92 wins, but if the goal is 83-90 wins and maybe losing in the divisional series, or the play-in gayme to appease the moron masses, they aren't done.