Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Thoughts from the Weekend

Hello, everyone. I hope this evening finds you well and what not. Anyways, whatever.

So I attended the coaches clinic this weekend and I will keep my thoughts pretty generic so as not to get in trouble for divulging too much insider information. Here are some of the things I found interesting from the clinic portion first, I'll follow up with practice later: (WARNING: TL;DR)

I sat in on the meeting with Chris Strausser because I am no dummie and I know the most important part of any team is the OL. I REALLY like Strausser. He really emphasizes the details on the lines footwork, hand positioning and where their eyes should be at all times. He is very high on the young guys on the team and also the class coming in this year (as am I). I basically don't have many worries about the line going forward because of how they have recruited and getting to see him break down the position.

Devin Burleson is apparently a 4.0 student and wants to double major in math and engineering and work at Boeing. He also is giant and if he can learn how to play football and if he has a mean streak he could be very, very good.

Next I listened to Jonathan Smith go over Quarterback fundamentals. I don't like Smith and don't think he should be the OC, but he does know his stuff about QB play. It was pretty awkward that he was talking about QB fundamentals and had to show clips of Cyler Miles a lot, made me chuckle a bit. If he was our QB coach I would have no problem with him.

One of the interesting things I discovered is that UW was a primary 3 step drop team last year, they only ran a 5 stop drop a handful of times all SEASON last year. I cannot emphasize how sad and depressing that is, but then you realize who was the starting QB and it makes sense. I know we were terrible offensively last year, but that is just such a huge handicap on your offense when you can't run any 5 step drops because your QB does not have the arm to throw those routes. Makes me a bit hopeful that we might see some progress this year in the offense department.

Example of how awful Sark is and a great example of Petersen practicing what he preaches (Don't talk about it, be about it). There was a player on the team last year that was not going to play anymore at UW if Sark was still the coach. The player had a stuttering problem and Steve Sarkisian would MAKE FUN OF HIM FOR IT. He was all set to walk away and then Sark left and Petersen came in. After Petersen got to know him he realized he had a speech impediment and guess what he did? He got him in touch with a speech therapist to work on his stuttering. Christ, it's not that hard you fuck, Sark.

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Awesome post can't wait to hear about practice. Did Smith give off a granny funeral parlor vibe?
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Sark making fun of a kid's stutter? That does not surprise me one single bit.

Its the kewl thing to do, brah.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Geezus....what a classless SOB.

Great writeup....thanks for the info!
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Gladstone said:

Awesome post can't wait to hear about practice. Did Smith give off a granny funeral parlor vibe?

LOL, he actually comes off as the really smart kid that knows way more than everyone else. My hope is that maybe he will really connect with KJCS or Browning (especially Browning) because both are recruited by him and probably understand him better than Miles or Lindquist. I think Browning might potientally be a graduate level QB thinker very soon, if not already, so maybe Smith and him will connect really well and then the offense will take off.
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Wow coke. It's like I'm at practice too
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The Great Sarktini teasing Tomer

What a royal asshole.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I like poopsi's version of the QBs better. KJ is redeemed.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    What a fucking scumbag Sark.
  • Options
    drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Sounds like the future of the OL line is in good shape. But what about the present? Are they progressing as a unit? How's the chemistry? Are they making glaring mistakes? When they do make them, how do they respond? Are they a finesse group? Mean? Athletic? Big? Hips?
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    droggins said:

Sounds like the future of the OL line is in good shape. But what about the present? Are they progressing as a unit? How's the chemistry? Are they making glaring mistakes? When they do make them, how do they respond? Are they a finesse group? Mean? Athletic? Big? Hips?

OL should be okay at present but RT is a question and who knows if Eldenkramp can be good at LT. Hatchie actually was decent last year. Charles, Crane and Brostek have a chance to be good I think.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

droggins said:

OL should be okay at present but RT is a question and who knows if Eldenkramp can be good at LT. Hatchie actually was decent last year. Charles, Crane and Brostek have a chance to be good I think.
    Agree with this, tackles are the big worry for me, mostly because we haven't seen them in live action. I actually don't think Crane starts, Tufunga has apparently been pretty good at center. He really dominated the weight room too from what I heard and saw of him.

Basically I think the OL will be about average this year.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the free pub Pepsi - sounds like a good excuse after the Spring is over for a trip to Joey's