Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• MrsPetersenMrsPetersen Member Posts: 724
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2015
    Interesting... he must have just started following him (Braxton Miller).
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Well ...

That would make a TON of sense because my gut says that Magna Carta and Browning aren't ready yet (plus you want Browning to RS). Makes a lot of sense to have Magna Carta be the backup this year with the Wild Swede being a jack of all trades.

Honestly, it's probably not fair to Magna Carta to say that he is the starter this year and then going into next year be in a spot where he's got to fight off Browning for the job. Makes a lot more sense for them to be in a spot where they are competing equally for the job on the same foundation.

Add in Braxton Miller to the offense and it would be hard to look at the 2015 season as being worse than the 2014 season. While there are areas that I expect that we may take some short term backward starts as the young boys on both sides of the line learn how to properly rumble, the instant upgrade at the QB position should mitigate and hard to see anything lower than 4 or 5 conference wins (which right now would be a distinct possibility).
    One observation, I would be stunned no matter what if he transferred to UW of all places. But especially given that tOSU is on the semester system so he wouldn't be available until late.

But it's fun to speculate (aka more fun than work on a Monday).

One observation, I would be stunned no matter what if he transferred to UW of all places. But especially given that tOSU is on the semester system so he wouldn't be available until late.

But it's fun to speculate (aka more fun than work on a Monday).

Unless I have my facts wrong on this, Miller couldn't transfer anyway until he's officially graduated.

It's probably not a bad thing for Magna Carta and Browning to get a ton of reps in the Spring anyway ... the Spring is as much about building for the future as it is about preparing for the next season.

Finally, it's not that unusual to get a late transfer in place: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6708649. And that's a team that won the Big 10 and went to a Rose Bowl.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Doesn't look like Miller has 'follow back' as the kids say. Thus, it's nothing.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited March 2015
    Ummmm....semester schools end early....way before terms do. Finals at tOSU are the first week of May.

Unless you're talking about him being here for spring.
    edited March 2015
    HuskyJW said:

Unless you're talking about him being here for spring.

Yeah, I was... just thinking that Peterman would want a guy here in Spring.

Lol at thinking Miller would want to come to UW. If he transfers, he will have much better options than UW. This guy was a Heisman finalist his junior year. Every school without a proven QB will be after this guy if he decides to transfer.

UW has a new OL. The WR's have been pedestrian so far. The RB's meh. It was the worst offense in the Pac 12 last year. And Petersen has never had (or done well) with a mobile QB. Other than that, I love UW's chances.

Please name the schools that fit that mold ... please include conference (can't go anywhere in the Big10) and coach.

Don't disagree with you that there may be better options than UW, but I think you're probably overestimating the number of potential landing spots for him. And on top of that, when you look at a guy that has had plenty of success with a high quality coach like Urban Meyer, I would think that it may make some sense that he would also value playing for a high value coach going forward like Petersen.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I believe Miller has already graduated. I read he's been doing very light sideline work at OSU Spring camp.

There was some rumblings UCLA was also looking into Miller as well, but those went dead awhile ago. I think the issue with Miller is that he's not healthy, and probably won't be fully cleared to throw until fall camp at the earliest.
    @RoadDawg55 I'm actually serious here ... what are the programs? I don't have a bunch of time right now to go through it, but my guess is that when you go through the list, you'll find that there are maybe 3-5 possible to probable landing spots for him.

As @BallSacked pointed out, while I think UCLA would be a team that I would point on the list as a better option than UW, it definitely appears as if they have cooled on him. Who knows what promises they've already made to Rosen regarding the job and Slick's kid at least has game experience and they may feel comfortable with him.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2015
    Tequilla said:

Lol at thinking Miller would want to come to UW. If he transfers, he will have much better options than UW. This guy was a Heisman finalist his junior year. Every school without a proven QB will be after this guy if he decides to transfer.

UW has a new OL. The WR's have been pedestrian so far. The RB's meh. It was the worst offense in the Pac 12 last year. And Petersen has never had (or done well) with a mobile QB. Other than that, I love UW's chances.

Please name the schools that fit that mold ... please include conference (can't go anywhere in the Big10) and coach.

Don't disagree with you that there may be better options than UW, but I think you're probably overestimating the number of potential landing spots for him. And on top of that, when you look at a guy that has had plenty of success with a high quality coach like Urban Meyer, I would think that it may make some sense that he would also value playing for a high value coach going forward like Petersen.
    Wow, just wow. You think Miller wants to play for a team with no shot at a title? He's not coming to UW.

Top 25 teams without a QB: Auburn, Alabama, FSU, UCLA, Ole Miss, LSU, Georgia. I need to include the conference and coach for these schools? The true fits would be Auburn, UCLA, and LSU.

I think graduates are free to transfer anywhere, so MIller could transfer to a Big 10 school. He'd never go to Michigan, but Nebraska or Wisconsin could be fits.

Other schools that are more prestigious: Texas, Florida.

Kansas State also has an opening at QB and runs an offense suited for him. I'm sure I'm missing 5-10 others.

If/when Miller decides to transfer, schools will line up trying to get him. Many of those schools will be in a lot better position than UW.
    edited March 2015
    Tequilla said:

@RoadDawg55 I'm actually serious here ... what are the programs? I don't have a bunch of time right now to go through it, but my guess is that when you go through the list, you'll find that there are maybe 3-5 possible to probable landing spots for him.

As @BallSacked pointed out, while I think UCLA would be a team that I would point on the list as a better option than UW, it definitely appears as if they have cooled on him. Who knows what promises they've already made to Rosen regarding the job and Slick's kid at least has game experience and they may feel comfortable with him.

I believe Florida St., LSU and Houston were the publicly mentioned front runners. His OC got the head job at Houston.

I don't know who cooled on him or simply Braxton elected to stay put. I think it's the later. Speculating: He could also elect to sit out this year and get a 6th year at Ohio State since he would have missed two to injury. By then Cardale is in the league maybe and he has less competition at QB or he could make the switch to WR. I don't think he's an exceptional QB, he has a lot of Hundley to him...athlete playing QB, not QB who is also an athlete. He may even be more of that than Hundley.

Tequilla said:

Wow, just wow. You think Miller wants to play for a team with no shot at a title? He's not coming to UW.

Top 25 teams without a QB: Auburn, Alabama, FSU, UCLA, Ole Miss, LSU, Georgia. I need to include the conference and coach for these schools? The true fits would be Auburn, UCLA, and LSU.

I think graduates are free to transfer anywhere, so MIller could transfer to a Big 10 school. He'd never go to Michigan, but Nebraska or Wisconsin could be fits.

Kansas State also has an opening at QB and runs an offense suited for him. I'm sure I'm missing 5-10 others.

If/when Miller decides to transfer, schools will line up trying to get him. Many of those schools will be in a lot better position than UW.
    I know the grad transfer is not allowed between the Pac12conference schools. I'm Not sure if that's a Conf-by-conf decision.
    edited March 2015
    Actually I take that back about the P12. Grad transfers can occur intra-conf but require a sign off from the departing school. Brennan Scarlett is grad xfer from Cal to play at Stanford with his brother. I know UCLA was blocked from taking Shirley and Westley (a SC hooper who went to Gonzaga instead). I think Brenana Scarlett sucks which is probably why Cal signed off on it. Doubt Urban would sign off on anything if faced with a similar choice.

Tequilla said:

So you are basically looking at schools that have lost their QB. You aren't looking at those programs from the standpoint of whether or not they have built in options that they are prepared to head into the Fall with as their starting QB.

Already talked about how UCLA very well may be comfortable heading into the Fall with what they have.

Off the top of my head LSU started a number of young QBs this offseason and bringing in Miller would set off a mass exodus of their existing QBs is my guess. Probably not good for business there. I believe Ole Miss has an option that they are planning on turning things over to. I'm almost positive that Auburn had a backup QB that they expect to be better than Marshall. I think Alabama was in pretty good shape at the QB position as well.

Normally what you find in these spots is that the guys that are leaving and going somewhere are going somewhere because not only is their an immediate spot to play, but the situation makes sense for the school. Normally there's a situation where a QB either graduated or got hurt and there's a clear 1 year gap that needs to be filled between the last guy and the next guy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/97092/grad-transfer-rule-on-elite-hs-qbs-minds
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Tequilla said:

Awesomed because Florida and Texas got mentioned. Florida St. will also be in the running, and UCLA may still have interest. What most of us are saying, is that IF Florida St., UCLA, Florida, or Texas have any bit of interest, Braxton will take the first flight their before even taking a glimpse at UW. That's on top of the slim chance of him transferring in the first place.