Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW and "fastbreak offense"......

UW played two games last year that would have been considered "fastbreak" type games.

Oregon and Arizona...........

Why exactly do we want to go to this type of game plan? I think if anything it will help the defense in preparation for teams that do play fast. I have a feeling that this years offense will not look much different than last years as far as speed. I say we are going to play at the same speed and work in the no huddle a couple series a game, just like last year.

I think the biggest change will be using a two back set with Sankey and Callier/Washington/Cooper. The two back set looked like it might have some success last year, then the turf jumped up and grabbed Callier.

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    IMALOSER_ said:

UW played two games last year that would have been considered "fastbreak" type games.

Oregon and Arizona...........

Why exactly do we want to go to this type of game plan? I think if anything it will help the defense in preparation for teams that do play fast. I have a feeling that this years offense will not look much different than last years as far as speed. I say we are going to play at the same speed and work in the no huddle a couple series a game, just like last year.

I think the biggest change will be using a two back set with Sankey and Callier/Washington/Cooper. The two back set looked like it might have some success last year, then the turf jumped up and grabbed Callier.

Excellent insight.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wow, a surprisingly good post. I agree about facing the no huddle in practice can only help our defense. Hopefully, we are much improved against the no huddle teams we play this year.

I also agree with you about 2 RB sets. I'm not huge on running the majority of our plays from the shotgun, but we do have RB's who can all catch so we should be able to produce some different looks on offense. It will be interesting to see what the plan is on offense. I am hoping that we take advantage of the RB depth and run the ball more, but I'm not counting on it.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    there is no way Sark is completely changing his offensive philosophy, and if he is I will criticize him for it. Stick with what u know best, even if it is shit.
    If we do go full no huddle the doogs will probably say give sark credit for willing to adjust only to go back into their hidy holes when it's a complete disaster
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wow, a surprisingly good post. I agree about facing the no huddle in practice can only help our defense. Hopefully, we are much improved against the no huddle teams we play this year.

I also agree with you about 2 RB sets. I'm not huge on running the majority of our plays from the shotgun, but we do have RB's who can all catch so we should be able to produce some different looks on offense. It will be interesting to see what the plan is on offense. I am hoping that we take advantage of the RB depth and run the ball more, but I'm not counting on it.

It will be interesting to see the offensive plans for sure, if not it will be an interesting year. Don't you think?

I think if we take advantage of the talent at running back we could do well, baring injury. I'm just hoping we can get some good production out of the 2 back set.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    If Sark is just doing this as a stunt to help stop Oregon and Arizona, he's even more clueless than we think he is.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,945
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    If we're gonna run the hurry up, the routine of

1st down and 10: incomplete pass
    2nd down and 10: draw play for 2 yards
    3rd down and 8: pass to covered TE or RB for 3 yard gain
    4th and 5: punt

will cause Danny Shelton to pass out from exhaustion by the 2nd quarter
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,945
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

If Sark is just doing this as a stunt to help stop Oregon and Arizona, he's even more clueless than we think he is.

In order to beat an uptempo offense, you have to become......an up tempo offense.

In order to catch and international jewel thief, you have to become...an international jewel thief.

In order to catch a rapist, you have to become...a rapist.
    I think I've found my calling as a rapist catcher
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,555
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If we like our no huddle offense we can keep it
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

If we like our no huddle offense we can keep it

Can we get back to talking Xs and Os and Jimmies and Joes?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Using two RB's is an interesting concept that for whatever reason Sark doesn't use. I know IMALOSER loves to point out that Sankey was 3rd in carries but I want our team carries to go up.

In the James years and even Slick Rick you had multiple guys getting carries to keep them fresh while you wear down the defense.

With Sankey, Callier, Washington, possibly Taylor, possibly Cooper there is no reason that your back up RB's shouldn't get 8-10 touches a game.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Using two RB's is an interesting concept that for whatever reason Sark doesn't use. I know IMALOSER loves to point out that Sankey was 3rd in carries but I want our team carries to go up.

In the James years and even Slick Rick you had multiple guys getting carries to keep them fresh while you wear down the defense.

With Sankey, Callier, Washington, possibly Taylor, possibly Cooper there is no reason that your back up RB's shouldn't get 8-10 touches a game.

I think platooning in RBs would be interesting. Do you think Sark will do it? I like the depth (baring injury)
  • Options
    IMALOSER_IMALOSER_ Member Posts: 158
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic

I think losing Callier was huge last year. There really wasn't anyone that stepped up as a second option. Taylor switched over from WR, but he had to learn the position on the fly. They started to use Taylor and Sankey together later in the year, but it's not the same as having a Callier, Cooper or Washington back there with them.

I personally liked at the beginning of the year when they went to shotgun with Sankey and Callier both in. Puts pressure on the defense. They don't know which back will be running, which one will run swing to the flat and then you have ASJ and Williams to worry about. Having that fourth weapon in the game makes Sankey, ASJ and Williams even more dangerous. Then if we can get a speed WR to pressure deep it opens a lot of possibilities. Won't matter how fast or slow we run the offense.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2013
    Stanford may have played great defense against Oregon last year, but the two years before that Stanford gave up 52 and 53 to Oregon. Stanford also gave up 48 to Arizona last year, so I'm not sure they are all that great of an example.

I'm sure we will get shredded a couple of times against no huddle teams this year, so I get the sarcastic comments, but going against the no huddle everyday in practice should do nothing but help us.

I will add that we don't have the players or depth on the DL to actually stop no huddle teams. All the teams that have given Oregon trouble have been teams with disruptive DL's, something we haven't and still don't have. Oregon runs out their entire 2nd string DL for series and there isn't even a noticeable drop off. If we run no huddle/hurry up the entire game, our D will get destroyed because we don't have the depth to rotate and keep guys fresh.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,555
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The scout team goes against the first team offense. The defense prepares for that weeks opponent against the scout team
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    IMALOSER_ said:

I think losing Callier was huge last year. There really wasn't anyone that stepped up as a second option. Taylor switched over from WR, but he had to learn the position on the fly. They started to use Taylor and Sankey together later in the year, but it's not the same as having a Callier, Cooper or Washington back there with them.

I personally liked at the beginning of the year when they went to shotgun with Sankey and Callier both in. Puts pressure on the defense. They don't know which back will be running, which one will run swing to the flat and then you have ASJ and Williams to worry about. Having that fourth weapon in the game makes Sankey, ASJ and Williams even more dangerous. Then if we can get a speed WR to pressure deep it opens a lot of possibilities. Won't matter how fast or slow we run the offense.
    What about the defense? I think if we can get pressure up the middle and some heat from the edge we will stop a lot of plays.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    I think the new offense plays to UW's strength in personnel, or lack of personnel. Shit we definitely are not a smash mouth team. We, as fans, want to be but that isn't where we are. We can't show the D the play we are going to run, say Fuck You!, and jam the ball down their throats. (Thanks Sark/Coz. Can't either of those guys recruit OL? Fuck). Any who...our best bet is to run fast and keep defenses off guard. We need to pick the pace up and keep the D guessing. Keep the blitzes off the QB. Maybe force a 3 man front since we can't block 4 as it is. I'm not sure this is happening because it's hip. I think it's happening because there isn't a better choice.

So UW has been unable to prepare their defense for Oregon because they don't run the offense and they aren't really going to run it this year but it will help prepare the defense.

And yet Stanford plays smashmouth and beat Oregon

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The scout team goes against the first team offense. The defense prepares for that weeks opponent against the scout team

I realize that, but playing against the no huddle for all of spring and fall camp should condition the defense to be more familiar with the no huddle. Hopefully, that training will help when we face no huddle teams, although I'm nor sure it will matter much because we still have a piss poor DL with no depth.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I realize that, but playing against the no huddle for all of spring and fall camp should condition the defense to be more familiar with the no huddle. Hopefully, that training will help when we face no huddle teams, although I'm nor sure it will matter much because we still have a piss poor DL with no depth.

Do you think we will be at disadvantage when we play teams that huddle up and try to run fewer plays? Our guys will be used to an up tempo, but when a team like ASU starts taking 40 seconds between plays, that could be an issue.