Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW and "fastbreak offense"......

2»

Comments

• Options
    IMALOSER_IMALOSER_ Member Posts: 158
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic

The scout team goes against the first team offense. The defense prepares for that weeks opponent against the scout team

I realize that, but playing against the no huddle for all of spring and fall camp should condition the defense to be more familiar with the no huddle. Hopefully, that training will help when we face no huddle teams, although I'm nor sure it will matter much because we still have a piss poor DL with no depth.

Do you think we will be at disadvantage when we play teams that huddle up and try to run fewer plays? Our guys will be used to an up tempo, but when a team like ASU starts taking 40 seconds between plays, that could be an issue.
    ASU was actually #4 in the Pac-12 with 78 plays a game. Only 3 plays less than Oregon. I know, I know.......defending Sark again.

Utah and USC would have been better examples at 65 and 66 plays per game respectively.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,682
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    This is way too much football talk.... =D>
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

IMALOSER_ said:

Using two RB's is an interesting concept that for whatever reason Sark doesn't use. I know IMALOSER loves to point out that Sankey was 3rd in carries but I want our team carries to go up.

In the James years and even Slick Rick you had multiple guys getting carries to keep them fresh while you wear down the defense.

With Sankey, Callier, Washington, possibly Taylor, possibly Cooper there is no reason that your back up RB's shouldn't get 8-10 touches a game.

I think losing Callier was huge last year. There really wasn't anyone that stepped up as a second option. Taylor switched over from WR, but he had to learn the position on the fly. They started to use Taylor and Sankey together later in the year, but it's not the same as having a Callier, Cooper or Washington back there with them.

I personally liked at the beginning of the year when they went to shotgun with Sankey and Callier both in. Puts pressure on the defense. They don't know which back will be running, which one will run swing to the flat and then you have ASJ and Williams to worry about. Having that fourth weapon in the game makes Sankey, ASJ and Williams even more dangerous. Then if we can get a speed WR to pressure deep it opens a lot of possibilities. Won't matter how fast or slow we run the offense.
    What about the defense? I think if we can get pressure up the middle and some heat from the edge we will stop a lot of plays.
    That one never gets old

Great insight.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    IMALOSER_ said:

The scout team goes against the first team offense. The defense prepares for that weeks opponent against the scout team

I realize that, but playing against the no huddle for all of spring and fall camp should condition the defense to be more familiar with the no huddle. Hopefully, that training will help when we face no huddle teams, although I'm nor sure it will matter much because we still have a piss poor DL with no depth.

Do you think we will be at disadvantage when we play teams that huddle up and try to run fewer plays? Our guys will be used to an up tempo, but when a team like ASU starts taking 40 seconds between plays, that could be an issue.
    ASU was actually #4 in the Pac-12 with 78 plays a game. Only 3 plays less than Oregon. I know, I know.......defending Sark again.

Utah and USC would have been better examples at 65 and 66 plays per game respectively.
    Ok, then Utah. Now fuck off
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    IMALOSER_ said:

plays per game are not related to the tempo of an offense. The tempo of an offense would be time of possession/plays called (seconds per play)

Team Seconds per play
    Arizona 19.03
    Oregon 21.10
    ASU 22.48
    WSU 22.63
    UCLA 22.75
    California 24.79
    OSU 26.15
    USC 26.67
    Utah 26.70
    UW 26.99
    Colorado 27.65
    Stanford 28.06

Basically UW was pretty damn slow with its offense last year and significantly slower than Oregon (despite what you suggested). UW is going to have to increase its play calling tempo by 15%+ in order to reach the top quarter of the Pac12. I dont think this strategy is going to help but even just a slight increase could move UW near the middle of the pac12. I dont think that Sark is capible of running a hurry up offense at the pseed of UCLA, WSU, or ASU given his penchant for complex play books, motion prior to the snap, and poor play calling patterns.
  • Options
    IMALOSER_IMALOSER_ Member Posts: 158
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    Houhusky said:

IMALOSER_ said:

plays per game are not related to the tempo of an offense. The tempo of an offense would be time of possession/plays called (seconds per play)

Team Seconds per play
    Arizona 19.03
    Oregon 21.10
    ASU 22.48
    WSU 22.63
    UCLA 22.75
    California 24.79
    OSU 26.15
    USC 26.67
    Utah 26.70
    UW 26.99
    Colorado 27.65
    Stanford 28.06

Basically UW was pretty damn slow with its offense last year and significantly slower than Oregon (despite what you suggested). UW is going to have to increase its play calling tempo by 15%+ in order to reach the top quarter of the Pac12. I dont think this strategy is going to help but even just a slight increase could move UW near the middle of the pac12. I dont think that Sark is capible of running a hurry up offense at the pseed of UCLA, WSU, or ASU given his penchant for complex play books, motion prior to the snap, and poor play calling patterns.
    Thanks for having my back.....Bro!!

Damone was the one that said ASU was a slow paced team that took 40 seconds to run a play. You showed him.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,300
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2013
    IMALOSER_ said:

Houhusky said:

IMALOSER_ said:

Team Seconds per play
    Arizona 19.03
    Oregon 21.10
    ASU 22.48
    WSU 22.63
    UCLA 22.75
    California 24.79
    OSU 26.15
    USC 26.67
    Utah 26.70
    UW 26.99
    Colorado 27.65
    Stanford 28.06

Damone was the one that said ASU was a slow paced team that took 40 seconds to run a play. You showed him.
    I can't wait to see the monstrosity in Tempe next year. I see ASU getting a lot of positions and a lot of points
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    IMALOSER_ said:

Houhusky said:

IMALOSER_ said:

Team Seconds per play
    Arizona 19.03
    Oregon 21.10
    ASU 22.48
    WSU 22.63
    UCLA 22.75
    California 24.79
    OSU 26.15
    USC 26.67
    Utah 26.70
    UW 26.99
    Colorado 27.65
    Stanford 28.06

NOGAF about you or Damone Im just providing the correct statistic for you fuckers

More to the point, UW wont be running anything resembling an actual hurry up offense, like many have suggested, because it would take an entire revamping of an offense by a new head coach with a new philosophy and new play book. It will be pretty easy however to atleast be somewhat faster.

Your two running backs at the same time idea is CaldawgFS. The offensive line struggles to block along the outside and it requires that both running back be capable of blocking on a running or pass play (they aren't). It doesnt stretch the defense vertically or horizontally and limits fast play calling because you are tiring out two running backs at the same time. The one thing Sark doesnt need is more swing plays in the backfield. When UW actually runs the ball downhill from under center our interior OL is actually serviceable and forces the LBs to actually attack the LOS. The shotgun is great for fast developing plays when you are unable to sustain pass blocking and have WRs that can create space one on one but this setup is just going to allow the LBs to easily track and find ASJ off the line because they dont need to worry about the run as much. Any play to the RBs is going to be a slowly developing running play or a horizontal pass in the back field to which they can then react and attack.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,578
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm glad to see the terrorist found us. Allah General Akbar
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,687
    Founders Club
    TTJ said:

The teams that beat Oregon beat them on the line of scrimmage.

We're fucked.

excellent insight, especially for a terrorist.