Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jimmy Graham

PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Selling the couch in NOLA, buying new couch in Seattle.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Unger: Door. Couch. Out.

Wow this is a crazy deal. Mort says it includes either Seattles 15 or 16 first rounder and multiple other picks.

Not really sure what to make of it. Great pickup, or Percy Harvin 2.0?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    Graham is decent, but a little too full of himself... Should fit in with the Seahawks.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Superbowl or bust now. Graham is Julius Thomas but has a longer track record of production. Best receiver Seattle has had since Carroll has been here. Unger is broken now anyways, he's not even close to the same player he once was.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Unger + 1st is roughly comparable in cap space to Graham + 4th ... if my very high level understanding of the cap is correct, I believe when you trade someone in Graham's position where you gave a sizable signing bonus, I believe it turns into an accelerated cap hit on New Orleans' books.

From a pure $$$ standpoint, this is a no brainer for the Hawks.

And as I saw someone say on Twitter, the cost for Graham was less than what it would have taken to re-sign Maxwell ... which is crazy IMO.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Unger + 1st is roughly comparable in cap space to Graham + 4th ... if my very high level understanding of the cap is correct, I believe when you trade someone in Graham's position where you gave a sizable signing bonus, I believe it turns into an accelerated cap hit on New Orleans' books.

From a pure $$$ standpoint, this is a no brainer for the Hawks.

And as I saw someone say on Twitter, the cost for Graham was less than what it would have taken to re-sign Maxwell ... which is crazy IMO.

The money here is fantastic. They are trying to restructure his deal to save even more, making the cap hit combined with Unger leaving something like $3.3 million. That little of money for a superstar receiving target. The Saints are saving only like $2 million in cap room from trading him. They went from franchise tagging him last year to trading him this year. What a dumpster fire.
  • Options
    As always, you want to be the team with the smart organization and management ... allows you to continuously prey on those that aren't quite as smart and forward looking.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited March 2015
    The Saints take on 9 Million in dead money with this trade too, OUCH...

Graham was paid 13mil last year, so deal is now 3 years at 27. The cap number likely won't be a big deal at all for his talent, plus they can restructure to save more as @SteveInShelton pointed out.

EDIT (Graham Contract Numbers for Hawks):

Graham will count 8mil this year, 9 in 2016, and 10 in 2017. The good news is that they can cut him at anytime with no cap ramifications. In total they lost about 6.5 mil in cap space this year with this move.
  • Options
    As another person said on Twitter, the cost for Graham per year is less than Julius Thomas. Who would you rather have?
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    This is great news. Not sure how much jacksonville threw at Thomas but unless they backed a brink's truck up, I couldn't believe he turned down the hawks for that dumpster fire. And I just caught the Graham thing on the bottom line, but I didn't catch which team and beelined to moms basement to see if it was the hawks.

Only thing that concerns me is I feel like Carroll and Schneider might just be ok throwing patchwork OLs out there. Losing carpenter and unger stings. Last year was a little better but I hope they address these holes. But for Jimmy Graham I'll fucking take it.
  • Options
    Guards and Centers aren't sexy draft picks ... often very visible in the 3rd to 5th rounds of drafts where the Hawks tend to make a killing.
  • Options
    Seattle has a ton of mid round picks, I'm guessing they will load up on offensive and defensive linemen and some will end up pretty damn good.
  • Options
    PatHadenFSPatHadenFS Member Posts: 542
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Some Jimmies gon' get Russelled.
  • Options
    PatHadenFSPatHadenFS Member Posts: 542
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

Some Jimmies gon' get Russelled.

Is this joke old yet?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Huge move by the Seahawks. Getting Graham is awesome, but why are the Saints getting rid of him, especially for such little cap relief? There was a reason the Vikings got rid of Harvin.

The defense needs to rebuild the depth. A lack of depth at CB and DL played a huge role in losing the Super Bowl. The OL has been suspect for a few years.
  • Options

Huge move by the Seahawks. Getting Graham is awesome, but why are the Saints getting rid of him, especially for such little cap relief? There was a reason the Vikings got rid of Harvin.

The defense needs to rebuild the depth. A lack of depth at CB and DL played a huge role in losing the Super Bowl. The OL has been suspect for a few years.

Probably ran his course in New Orleans ... they seem to be a team in transition.

Graham's a bit of a bitch ... but sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders for someone.
  • Options

They are shopping Drew Brees too. Their cap has been so mismanaged they are basically forced into a rebuild now. Total dumpster fire.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,989
    Ah, a real TE. Willson can go back to Canada. Paging @dnc
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,905
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

Guards and Centers aren't sexy draft picks ... often very visible in the 3rd to 5th rounds of drafts where the Hawks tend to make a killing.

Will Tanigawa or Criste still be available then?