Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Doogman's Aaron Beach's incredibly stupid Romar Op-ed

bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,904
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
Following the heroic victory over Utah at home that proves to all the haterz that "Romar still has it", the guy who is constantly proven wrong by Jason McCleary opines on UW's "Bright Future" under Coach Romar. All the usual tidbits were there. Here's a quick play-by-play:

- The reason the team has been down the last half decade is because there was no "homegrown talent." Apparently Romar's ability to win games being dependent on Seattle's high school basketball output is a good thing.

- The criticism of Romar this year, while somewhat warranted, is "oversimplified" and "misunderstood"

-It's mostly the players fault for not being talented, not the coach's

-Romar can't be expected to compete with other programs in the conference because the practice facilities are old.

-UW isn't being out-recruited by Oregon, Gonzaga, or Wazzu (I'm not sure what that proves)

-UW doesn't attract the one-and-done phenoms that bolster Arizona and UCLA

-I'm not trying to making excuses for Romar

-UW has been snakebit by injuries

-UW has no business being in the running for "once in a decade" players like Robert Upshaw so they had to take him and build the team around him.

-Romar is the only reason that UW has been a finalist for several 5-star players (who picked other schools), which shows how valuable he is to the program

-The Utah win should remind everyone what Romar teams are capable of

-Next year will be awesome, and every year after that for the foreseeable future. Romar is in on some great future recruits (where have I heard that before?)

-Husky fans should remember what it was like before Romar

-And my personal favorite: If UW fires their coach, they could "fall back into irrelevance. just like USC"

Quite the Seattle Sports opus. In another thread, posters are suggesting that those who want Romar gone are probably....
racist

Comments

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Great summary. My favorite was Bleenor responding that coach Ro deserves a contract extension NOW.

There are some serious sycophants over there who actually suck off coachnews as some kind of guru. If you think a coach with 5 years left on his contract who hasn't made the top 68 in 4 years and finished 11th in conference, you need to DIAFF while jumping off the Aurora bridge. Fuck the stupidity hurts my brain.

But how can Romar possibly recruit middle school kids if they don't know that he'll be there!!1!
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Beach is making me realize that we're very fortunate to have Romar as the head coach ...
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Quite the Seattle Sports opus. In another thread, posters are suggesting that those who want Romar gone are probably....
    racist

ARE. U. FUCKING. SERIOUS.

Maybe the people with half a damn brain want him gone because he's missed the tourney four years in a row and just wrapped up an 11th place finish in a mediocre league? Including losing 10 of 12 to finish the year. And looking beyond pitiful in doing so.

Romar not being on a scolding hot seat is all the proof I need that the University of Washington no longer gives a rats ass about men's basketball...

Racist? Jeebus. H. Christmas.
  • Options
    Kims_booster_seatKims_booster_seat Member Posts: 15
    First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic Testing 1
    #head_of_hoops
  • Options
    Kims_booster_seatKims_booster_seat Member Posts: 15
    First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic Testing 1
    He really called Upshaw a once in a decade player? Get the fuck out of here with that shit...wjw
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,835
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    The truth is I can see that class at least getting them back to the NIT. Then these assholes will take that as vindication. Never mind the fact they've missed (barring a miracle) the NCAA Tournament four straight years for the first time since 2003.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

So Beach said Jack shit about:

- Inbounds plays that look like they were drawn up by an 8-year old with cerebral palsy.
    - Zero defense
    - Zero rebounding
    - Losing to non conference dreck at home every year.

Thanks. Got it.

I'll never forget Holliday blowing the UNC game on an inbound. Almost as bad as Jensen.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

- Inbounds plays that look like they were drawn up by an 8-year old with cerebral palsy.
    - Zero defense
    - Zero rebounding

Thanks. Got it.

Is Romar the one out there executing the inbounds plays?!!???? Is Romar the one not playing defense?????!!!!?? Is Romar the one not boxing out his man to get a rebound?1!??? Is Romar on the floor losing to non conference dreck every year??!!?!!

Didn't think so!!!!11!!eleven!!!!
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,000
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited March 2015

- Zero defense
    - Zero rebounding

Thanks. Got it.

I'll never forget Holliday blowing the UNC game on an inbound. Almost as bad as Jensen.
    If we're going to start bashing 8-year olds with Cerebral Palsy who draw up inbounds plays for Pac-12 teams, I AM OUT!
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

...The reason the team has been down the last half decade is because there was no "homegrown talent"...

Gary Bell, Zach LaVine, Shaqquan Aaron, Anrio Adams, Josh Smith, Peyton Siva, Isiah Umipig, Mark McLaughlin, Aaron Dotson and Davonte Lacy all say hi.

...Romar can't be expected to compete with other programs in the conference because the practice facilities are old...

I saw a game at the McKale Center this fall. I was surprised at what a dump it is. But that doesn't seem to be slowing Arizona down too much.

...UW has no business being in the running for "once in a decade" players like Robert Upshaw so they had to take him and build the team around him...

It bears repeating: UW was picked 6th in the preseason. Before anybody knew if Upshaw would do shit.

...Next year will be awesome, and every year after that for the foreseeable future...

I was LOL'ing at the Murray-as-savior stuff last night.

...In another thread, posters are suggesting that those who want Romar gone are probably...racist

Which explains the popularity of proposed replacements like Shaka Smart and Nate McMillan.
  • Options
    TTJ said:

...The reason the team has been down the last half decade is because there was no "homegrown talent"...

Gary Bell, Zach LaVine, Shaqquan Aaron, Anrio Adams, Josh Smith, Peyton Siva, Isiah Umipig, Mark McLaughlin, Aaron Dotson and Davonte Lacy all say hi.
    If you're gonna make a list like this to prove a point, why are you including shit players like Adams, Smith, Umipig, and Dotson?

That's like blaming Sark's shitty coaching on not getting Jake Heaps.
  • Options
    Who in that group wouldn't start on this team?
  • Options
    TTJ said:

All of them. Umipig, Adams, and Dotson are all worse than NWG and AA. Tremaine Isabell would be a better option than those 3. And he's still worse than our 2 starters.

Smith is the best of the "shit" players...unfortunately he's a fat fuck that can't stay on the court. What did he ever do at UCLA under Howland? I remember IT running the pick and roll and fouling Smith out of the game on the perimeter like it was nothing. Feet like molasses. He sucked.

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think you mean reverse racism. Romar is white.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,840
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

TTJ said:

If you're gonna make a list like this to prove a point, why are you including shit players like Adams, Smith, Umipig, and Dotson?

That's like blaming Sark's shitty coaching on not getting Jake Heaps.
    Joe Harris is making more coin than all those guys save Levine.

Didn't you say you wanted racist crap?

• Options

TTJ said:

All of them. Umipig, Adams, and Dotson are all worse than NWG and AA. Tremaine Isabell would be a better option than those 3. And he's still worse than our 2 starters.

Smith is the best of the "shit" players...unfortunately he's a fat fuck that can't stay on the court. What did he ever do at UCLA under Howland? I remember IT running the pick and roll and fouling Smith out of the game on the perimeter like it was nothing. Feet like molasses. He sucked.

I'll give you Dotson and Adams. But Umipig > Andrews. And the suggestion Smith wouldn't start on this team is hilarious.