Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Romar's ace in the (2) hole

For all except the truly dumb (Romar should get to retire from UW on his own terms because he is a great man and good representative of the university), the overwhelming reason that Romar should be kept for another year is because of the great recruiting class he's bringing in. The argument is that you at least have to get the recruiting class in the door and if you fire Romar you have to let them out of their LOIs.

The more I think about this, the more I think it is complete bullshit.

If you throw the bank at someone and bring in a good coach (which is Woody's job), their first challenge will be to keep these guys in the boat. I can't imagine that any of these recruits are super excited to be playing for Romar at this point. It would also be a huge carrot for a big-time coach. In most cases, you'd be walking into a complete disaster following the firing of a long-term coach, but in this case, you're walking into a top-10 recruiting class if you can keep them at UW. 3 of the guys being local helps you in this regard. You also possibly have a few guys in NWG, AA, or JJ who could be talked into sticking around.

If you keep Romar, he fails to make the tournament again (which is extremely likely), and he gets fired, the whole team will leave and the incoming coach will be walking into an absolute shitpile. NWG and Murray will jump to the pros, the other players will transfer after a bad experience at UW, and whoever has the balls/bad career sense to take the job will be building from nothing.

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Mail. The AD. Now.

Excellent point.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,845
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

For all except the truly dumb (Romar should get to retire from UW on his own terms because he is a great man and good representative of the university), the overwhelming reason that Romar should be kept for another year is because of the great recruiting class he's bringing in. The argument is that you at least have to get the recruiting class in the door and if you fire Romar you have to let them out of their LOIs.

The more I think about this, the more I think it is complete bullshit.

If you throw the bank at someone and bring in a good coach (which is Woody's job), their first challenge will be to keep these guys in the boat. I can't imagine that any of these recruits are super excited to be playing for Romar at this point. It would also be a huge carrot for a big-time coach. In most cases, you'd be walking into a complete disaster following the firing of a long-term coach, but in this case, you're walking into a top-10 recruiting class if you can keep them at UW. 3 of the guys being local helps you in this regard. You also possibly have a few guys in NWG, AA, or JJ who could be talked into sticking around.

If you keep Romar, he fails to make the tournament again (which is extremely likely), and he gets fired, the whole team will leave and the incoming coach will be walking into an absolute shitpile. NWG and Murray will jump to the pros, the other players will transfer after a bad experience at UW, and whoever has the balls/bad career sense to take the job will be building from nothing.

Why let them out of their LOI's?

When the UW fired June, they didn't let Katelon Redmon out of her LOI and stuck her with Tia.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The recruiting class is likely what will save Romar. That said, if Romar gets fired, and he won't, the recruits will likely bolt. They committed to Romar and will go where they have a relationship with the coaches i.e. their 2nd and 3rd choices.

A smart AD would look at the long term benefits and fire Romar anyways. An even smarter AD would have fired Romar after last year, which would have been completely fair and a much better time to do so.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,904
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

The recruiting class is likely what will save Romar. That said, if Romar gets fired, and he won't, the recruits will likely bolt. They committed to Romar and will go where they have a relationship with the coaches i.e. their 2nd and 3rd choices.

A smart AD would look at the long term benefits and fire Romar anyways. An even smarter AD would have fired Romar after last year, which would have been completely fair and a much better time to do so.

If they hire the right coach, you won't lose the whole class. The recruits still have to meet with the new coach,ask out of their LOIs, and give an actual reason they aren't compatible with the new coach. Again, I'm not sure any of these guys would have chosen to play for Romar if they saw this season's piss poor coaching job.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I just can't imagine recruits seeing a coaching upgrade (assuming the next coach in this scenario is an upgrade) and thinking to themselves "wow, this is a bad situation now, I'm out of here". I think players most of the time choose a program for one of two reasons - they want to win and/or they want exposure to help them get drafted. Romar doesn't exactly help in either case while the next coach might. That said, why the hell did they commit to Romar in the first place?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2015
    If you can show me some precedent of recruits staying, I would buy it. From what I have followed, when a coach is fired or bolts, the recruits leave most of the time. Maybe the local guys could be convinced to stay, but it's dicey. The guys listed that encourage them to choose UW all like Romar and would probably be disappointed about UW firing him. Thinking they will stay is wishful thinking.

It's pretty hard to develop a relationship and trust a coaching staff in a matter of a couple weeks. If UW hired a coach that already knew the kids and had some kind of relationship, that would obviously help the chances of them staying.

The recruiting class or any individual recruits should not be a reason for keeping Romar. I don't care if Murray, Chriss, and the other bolt if Romar is fired. I would still look at it as a good thing.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    The difference is these recruits have signed LOI's, it is very difficult for them to bolt, especially because I am sure most of them have local school/city pride. I don't think there are many players that get out of their LOI's when college coaches leave.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

The difference is these recruits have signed LOI's, it is very difficult for them to bolt, especially because I am sure most of them have local school/city pride. I don't think there are many players that get out of their LOI's when college coaches leave.

It's also late in the season. If Romar is fired in April, that only leaves a few months for guys that want to leave to find a school that still has a spot for them. Chances are, most big programs moved on and signed someone else. Which means their 2nd and 3rd choices probably aren't an option anymore.

Murray is the only one good enough that a coach would boot a kid to make room for. Not that the others are bad, they're just not worth kicking a kid that you gave a scholarship to off the team for another player at the last minute. Most coaches wouldn't do that anyway.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Haven't all of these guys signed LOIs? I don't follow basketball recruiting that closely ... so I don't know.

It'd be one thing if the next coaching hire is somebody that the kids look at and say "who?" and then decide that they'd rather ask out of their LOI.

If it's somebody that is a proven winner (i.e. Marshall), barring a complete personality clash, I would expect that most of these players would look at the opportunity to play for a proven winning coach and say that they are in a good place.

And if you lose a class, you lose a class. Far more important to have a healthy program long-term even if that means a lean year or two because look at this year ... total dreckfest.

My overarching philosophy is that when you know somebody isn't the answer in a position like this, you're better off finding the next option because you'll be that much closer to finding the actual solution.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2015

It's also late in the season. If Romar is fired in April, that only leaves a few months for guys that want to leave to find a school that still has a spot for them. Chances are, most big programs moved on and signed someone else. Which means their 2nd and 3rd choices probably aren't an option anymore.

Murray is the only one good enough that a coach would boot a kid to make room for. Not that the others are bad, they're just not worth kicking a kid that you gave a scholarship to off the team for another player at the last minute. Most coaches wouldn't do that anyway.
    This isn't true. Ahmed Rorie was released from his LOI from Cal once Montgomery retired. He ended up at Oregon. UW, WSU, and ASU also went after him. He's not an elite recruit. A lot of schools have room.

You actually think coaches won't want Chriss or Dime if they were released from their LOI? Maybe Crisp and the big guy from Canada would have trouble finding suitors, but the others would not.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

This isn't true. Ahmed Rorie was released from his LOI from Cal once Montgomery retired. He ended up at Oregon. UW, WSU, and ASU also went after him. He's not an elite recruit. A lot of schools have room.

You actually think coaches won't want Chriss or Dime if they were released from their LOI? Maybe Crisp and the big guy from Canada would have trouble finding suitors, but the others would not.
    The point is that there is a good chance that their 2nd and 3rd choices don't have a spot anymore. Notice how none of the schools you listed are named Arizona or UCLA or anyone else good?
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,904
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

Haven't all of these guys signed LOIs? I don't follow basketball recruiting that closely ... so I don't know.

It'd be one thing if the next coaching hire is somebody that the kids look at and say "who?" and then decide that they'd rather ask out of their LOI.

If it's somebody that is a proven winner (i.e. Marshall), barring a complete personality clash, I would expect that most of these players would look at the opportunity to play for a proven winning coach and say that they are in a good place.

And if you lose a class, you lose a class. Far more important to have a healthy program long-term even if that means a lean year or two because look at this year ... total dreckfest.

My overarching philosophy is that when you know somebody isn't the answer in a position like this, you're better off finding the next option because you'll be that much closer to finding the actual solution.

And again, if you keep Romar next year and then fire him, the program will be leveled to the ground. At that point, you're trying to find someone to coach a team that will be one of the worst in the country and you end up having to hire a second-rate guy because nobody else wants to commit career suicide
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

And again, if you keep Romar next year and then fire him, the program will be leveled to the ground. At that point, you're trying to find someone to coach a team that will be one of the worst in the country and you end up having to hire a second-rate guy because nobody else wants to commit career suicide
    Yes, and the recruiting class nonsense is still meaningless, because you'll probably get a few transfers anyway.

After firing a coach, the new coach has to start over and rebuild. That's just how it works. It's fine, it really doesn't take long, see any coach that's worth a shit. Miller, Monty, Altman, kryspykreme at Utah...

Yeah, you lose some players/recruits in the switch. Stop being a pussy about it.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

It's pretty hard to develop a relationship and trust a coaching staff in a matter of a couple weeks. If UW hired a coach that already knew the kids and had some kind of relationship, that would obviously help the chances of them staying

Brad Jackson to replace Romar???
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The point is that there is a good chance that their 2nd and 3rd choices don't have a spot anymore. Notice how none of the schools you listed are named Arizona or UCLA or anyone else good?
    Lots of schools have spots available because of transfers and early entrants in the draft. They sometimes even purposely keep spots available for Spring signing and transfers.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I agree there will be spots if the guys want to leave, but overall the locals will stay unless we hire a complete boob. I don't think people understand how big the pull is from local UW/NBA legends to stay local. Romar is a good recruiter in some areas, but those who don't think that broy, nate, conroy, tre', brock, spencer among the many others don't do a huge service to these kids recruitment are kidding themselves. They regularly play in pickup and and city leagues and spout UW, UW, UW.

The idea that UW needs romar to forever succeed is a ridiculous notion. I wish the guy would have kept his style, or gone back to it after a year or two of futile efforts. But he seems bound and determined to repeat the same stupid mistakes year after year now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I agree there will be spots if the guys want to leave, but overall the locals will stay unless we hire a complete boob. I don't think people understand how big the pull is from local UW/NBA legends to stay local. Romar is a good recruiter in some areas, but those who don't think that broy, nate, conroy, tre', brock, spencer among the many others don't do a huge service to these kids recruitment are kidding themselves. They regularly play in pickup and and city leagues and spout UW, UW, UW.

The idea that UW needs romar to forever succeed is a ridiculous notion. I wish the guy would have kept his style, or gone back to it after a year or two of futile efforts. But he seems bound and determined to repeat the same stupid mistakes year after year now.

The B-Roy, Will, Nate angle is talked about a lot, but what has it actually done? It could change now that B Roy is involved with AAU ball, but up to this point, it's done nothing. Before this year, Romar has whiffed on every good in state recruit in state since Wroten. The legitimate recruits such as Shaquan Aaron and Zach Lavine went elsewhere.

Those guys are legends and should always be welcomed, but trying to appease them is FS. Just get a good basketball coach and everything will work itself out. Everything else such as the recruiting class, Romar being a great guy, the NBA guys love Romar... It's white noise.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Regardless of the coach next year, isn't the identity of the team going to be the frosh takeover?

You would think they would just pick up the phone and confirm with each other "we got this, it's us AA, NWG (might foolishly bolt still) and? ? JJ?

These kids still want to play asap and bolt to the pros if they prove their worth.

There isn't a better school that offers that opportunity on the west coast.

Minus the elk grove kid, they are all local. I say they stay regardless.