Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Romar's ace in the (2) hole

2»

Comments

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I agree there will be spots if the guys want to leave, but overall the locals will stay unless we hire a complete boob. I don't think people understand how big the pull is from local UW/NBA legends to stay local. Romar is a good recruiter in some areas, but those who don't think that broy, nate, conroy, tre', brock, spencer among the many others don't do a huge service to these kids recruitment are kidding themselves. They regularly play in pickup and and city leagues and spout UW, UW, UW.

The idea that UW needs romar to forever succeed is a ridiculous notion. I wish the guy would have kept his style, or gone back to it after a year or two of futile efforts. But he seems bound and determined to repeat the same stupid mistakes year after year now.

The B-Roy, Will, Nate angle is talked about a lot, but what has it actually done? It could change now that B Roy is involved with AAU ball, but up to this point, it's done nothing. Before this year, Romar has whiffed on every good in state recruit in state since Wroten. The legitimate recruits such as Shaquan Aaron and Zach Lavine went elsewhere.

Those guys are legends and should always be welcomed, but trying to appease them is FS. Just get a good basketball coach and everything will work itself out. Everything else such as the recruiting class, Romar being a great guy, the NBA guys love Romar... It's white noise.
    I agree that their influence is not all powerful, but you can't dismiss it either. There also haven't been many good local players since Wroten to recruit.

Missing on talent like Zach LaVine sucks. I thought we had a chance, but he stuck with UCLA even after they fired Howland and hired Alford (lulz).

Shaqquan Aaron is from California, not Seattle. He transferred to Beach as a sophomore. Not exactly a local guy that grew up watching UW and the local alumni. Still sucks not to get him. He could start right now.

Romar missed on them, no doubt. But those were lean years in WA HS hoops. Last year after Aaron, the next best players were Crisp and Djuan Piper from Beach. Crisp is in prep school getting his grades right. Piper failed to qualify academically and went to JC instead. Next up was Dorsey, who is very one dimensional. The year before that he missed on LaVine. But after LaVine the only good player from the area was DJ Fenner. He went to Nevada. And he's not exactly lighting it up. Like I said, lean.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,845
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

It's pretty hard to develop a relationship and trust a coaching staff in a matter of a couple weeks. If UW hired a coach that already knew the kids and had some kind of relationship, that would obviously help the chances of them staying

Brad Jackson to replace Romar???
    Jackson is there to bump up his state pension number. No more, no less.