Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official IF Romar Steps Down Who Do You Hire if You are Pool Boy Thread

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ernesto.

That would be freaking beautiful. Wonder if they would allow the sombreros to become an every game tradition?
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    What about Ben Howland or is he toxic?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

What about Ben Howland or is he toxic?

I think Howland would be a good get. I know others disagree. You can't argue with 3 final 4's. He did well at Pitt too and set a good foundation.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I would certainly take him over Romar but wouldn't exactly celebrate the hire. His offense is utter shit and by the end of his reign seemed to be universally loathed by local LA hs coaches.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Gladstone said:

I would certainly take him over Romar but wouldn't exactly celebrate the hire. His offense is utter shit and by the end of his reign seemed to be universally loathed by local LA hs coaches.

Half his team quit on him towards the end.

He was letting Reeves Nelson beat the shit out of his own teammates.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

Half his team quit on him towards the end.

He was letting Reeves Nelson beat the shit out of his own teammates.
    But does that cancel out what he did before that point? He definitely hit a lull at UCLA and was deservedly fired considering the standards at UCLA. That said, they are no better off, and most likely worse off with Alford instead of Howland.

If given a choice, I prefer up tempo basketball, but winning is all that really matters. Howland is a strong defensive coach who should be able to recruit considering the players he has currently in the NBA. I would imagine selling Westbrook to guards would be a big sell. Same for selling Kevin Love to white big guys :).
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,904
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I'm just not a fan of hiring guys who were recently fired for failing to meet expectations at other programs.

Tywilly.jpg
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,112
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I'm just not a fan of hiring guys who were recently fired for failing to meet expectations at other programs.

Tywilly.jpg

Corpse of Rick Majerus spotted at Seatac?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Howland is a terrible idea ... Please stop pedaling that shit
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

It's just message board talk. Stop being a cunt.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tywilly.jpg

The difference is Ty Willie didn't have anything equivalent to three final 4's.
  • Options
    Citrus4TroogsCitrus4Troogs Member Posts: 248
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2015

But does that cancel out what he did before that point? He definitely hit a lull at UCLA and was deservedly fired considering the standards at UCLA. That said, they are no better off, and most likely worse off with Alford instead of Howland.

If given a choice, I prefer up tempo basketball, but winning is all that really matters. Howland is a strong defensive coach who should be able to recruit considering the players he has currently in the NBA. I would imagine selling Westbrook to guards would be a big sell. Same for selling Kevin Love to white big guys :).

Howland hired great assistants in his first 3-4 years whom he respected and helped him identify "diamond in the rough" types, most notably Westbrook and Mbah a Moute, in addition to touted recruits. The fact that he converted Ryan Hollins from a complete turd under Lavin to Regional Finals MVP who would move on to a decent NBA future speaks to his ability. His assistants graduated to better jobs and their replacements were not as capable and were unable to challenge Howland's leadership after UCLA's run of success.

OTOH, not being able to win a title with Westbrook, Collison, Love, and Mbah a Moute speaks to his offensive limitations. His compass for OKoG players was completely backwards after his Final Four runs; the following season's #1 ranked recruiting class was a complete clusterfuck and Howland later went all in on Reeves Nelson and Josh Smith (a fat guy from Washington now at Georgetown) and lost. Tyler Honeycutt and Malcolm Lee were decent players who needed to stay longer, but left early for NBA D-League anonymity anyway because they didn't like playing for Howland.

Howland acted classy and continues to represent UCLA well, but was a notorious chap-ass with the media and had half of the athletic dept. despising him at the end. (not necessarily a bad thing) The best thing I could say about bringing Howland to UW is that Kim would HATE him almost instantly.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

You should be better than even suggesting that ...

As was pointed out elsewhere, it's the equivalent of hiring Tyrone to the basketball program.

Part of the fabric of this place is looking at things from a fair and objective standpoint where the priority is on results (and if they don't take place understanding why they aren't) as opposed to just having blind faith following.

Howland's a terrible idea. There's a reason he hasn't been picked up elsewhere by another Power Conference program.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Tony Bennett. My sources tell me his wife loves the rain he's itching to get out of the ACC...
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Ernesto.

Ernie Kent should be options 1, 2, and 3
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2015
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

You should be better than even suggesting that ...

As was pointed out elsewhere, it's the equivalent of hiring Tyrone to the basketball program.

Part of the fabric of this place is looking at things from a fair and objective standpoint where the priority is on results (and if they don't take place understanding why they aren't) as opposed to just having blind faith following.

Howland's a terrible idea. There's a reason he hasn't been picked up elsewhere by another Power Conference program.
    I didn't suggest it. He would be a decent option though because the guys suggested would likely say no. He's far from perfect but he's a proven winner.

You are directly contradicting yourself. Results? Howland has been to 3 Final 4's and had success in three different stops. Do those not count because he fired?

Tyrone was a barely over .500 coach (if that) who went 7-5 in his Rose Bowl season.

The only similarity is they have both been fired. Howland has had one offseason since being fired from UCLA. He's made good money and might not be in a rush to coach in a power conference.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Howland would certainly be an upgrade to Romar. I'd hope we could do better, but if not, so be it. At least Howland knows what the Final 4 smells like and what it takes to get there, something that no UW coach can say (other than as a spectator).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyInAZ said:

Howland would certainly be an upgrade to Romar. I'd hope we could do better, but if not, so be it. At least Howland knows what the Final 4 smells like and what it takes to get there, something that no UW coach can say (other than as a spectator).

Exactly.