Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How not to podcast

2»

Comments

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Romar was great for UW.

I think his emergence was bolstered by a team with ungodly chemistry.

It's overlooked how good Brandon Roy was. He is the best basketball player UW has ever produced.

Bender was a fall down fade away buzzer beater by Rip Hamilton from the elite eight. Roy initially committed to him and it would be foolish to believe he couldn't have produced similar results to Romar with those Seattle based squads.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Doogles said:

To further defend my point, a "healthy" Brandon Roy was arguably the best player in the NBA at a point in time.

He was the real deal combo of freakish athleticism and white boy fundamentals. He would pivot 5 times and maneuver the defense out of position for an easy layup. He could posterize you with a 40+ inch vert.

He had that clutch factor you can't teach.

God damn Rudy Gay and that double technical that sidelined Roy for 8 minutes in the second half was the difference between the S16 and a FF.

I love B-Roy, but he was never quite on that super elite LeBron/Kobe/Durrant level.

Damn good, but not quite the "best" in the NBA.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    KJV has no agenda though @RoadDawg55 ... or so he tells himself enough times that he believes it
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I don't think anyone should say that romar wasn't good. Nor should they call him only good because of Roy. Every coach needs good players to succeed.

Romar failed, and continues to fail because he lost his way in what his brand is. He's an uptempo defensive team who may not win ncaa champs but does have a chance to be elite 8 or better in a special year. Somehow or someway there was a point where romar was convinced he was a fundamental half court coach who has no idea how to recruit to his style or level. He is one of the shittiest half court in game coaches out there, but used to have a great style to recruit kids to and entertain fans and on certain years have a chance to go deep.

I don't think anyone can claim to know what happened, but 4-5 years ago I was a staunch defender of his style(ie the anti boner). Now, 5 years later I don't care what his recruiting class is he's lost what made him good. Wish it didn't go that way, but it's a reality.
  • Options

I don't think anyone should say that romar wasn't good. Nor should they call him only good because of Roy. Every coach needs good players to succeed.

Romar failed, and continues to fail because he lost his way in what his brand is. He's an uptempo defensive team who may not win ncaa champs but does have a chance to be elite 8 or better in a special year. Somehow or someway there was a point where romar was convinced he was a fundamental half court coach who has no idea how to recruit to his style or level. He is one of the shittiest half court in game coaches out there, but used to have a great style to recruit kids to and entertain fans and on certain years have a chance to go deep.

I don't think anyone can claim to know what happened, but 4-5 years ago I was a staunch defender of his style(ie the anti boner). Now, 5 years later I don't care what his recruiting class is he's lost what made him good. Wish it didn't go that way, but it's a reality.

Really wish he would go back to the run and gun. We made the sweet 16 twice with a front court of Mike Jensen 6'8" and Jamaal Williams 6'6" (6'7" frosh Brockman wasn't exactly huge either). And again with MBA and Gant. Romar doesn't need 7' centers. He sucks at developing them anyways. Just get good guards, and athletic bigs and run for 40 minutes.

Worst case scenario, it's a lot more entertaining. Romar switching his offense was the dumbest thing ever. He didn't have the personnel, nor the X's and O's to do it.

Sure a team like Virginia would cause problems with their super slow and methodical style, but once upon a time, UW dictated the pace of play, not the other way around.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Really wish he would go back to the run and gun. We made the sweet 16 twice with a front court of Mike Jensen 6'8" and Jamaal Williams 6'6" (6'7" frosh Brockman wasn't exactly huge either). And again with MBA and Gant. Romar doesn't need 7' centers. He sucks at developing them anyways. Just get good guards, and athletic bigs and run for 40 minutes.

Worst case scenario, it's a lot more entertaining. Romar switching his offense was the dumbest thing ever. He didn't have the personnel, nor the X's and O's to do it.

Sure a team like Virginia would cause problems with their super slow and methodical style, but once upon a time, UW dictated the pace of play, not the other way around.
    Jamaal Williams was one of the most efficient post scorers I've ever seen. If he shot within 5 feet it was going in every time.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Jamaal Williams was one of the most efficient post scorers I've ever seen. If he shot within 5 feet it was going in every time.
    Why do you all hate Giles and wolf!
  • Options

The point is he was shorter than pretty much every other PF he went up against. And his offense made up for any defensive shortcomings. Getting a lot of possessions and shots helps.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Jamaal Williams was one of the most efficient post scorers I've ever seen. If he got the ball he was going to shoot it every time.
    Also true

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2015
    Jamal Williams was a true black hole. That hook was money though.

The right big guy on the early Romar teams would have made them unstoppable.