Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NBA Trade Deadline

Comments

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If this Philly team is what it takes to kill the stat nerd mythos once and for all, I'll take it. Between that and Sacramento's three coach dreckfest of a season. But holy fuckus, just move the team to Seattle already and put Philly out of its misery.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2015

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Portland's season is over.

Care to elaborate on that?
    They will be lucky to win a round. They aren't winning three.
    I don't see them winning a series against Golden State, Memphis, or San Antonio once they hit the next gear. Probably aren't beating OKC in a series. Coin flips probably against Dallas and and the Clippers. Should be favorites against Houston.

Agree that winning a round (like they did last year) is probably the high water mark for them. Next step would be actually being competitive in the second round.
    That's how I see it. I think Houston is improved from last year though and are better than Portland.
    I like the KJ Mcdaniels move. Not sure where he plays yet but he is a fucking freak.
    Houston has some depth. Josh Smith, Corey Brewer, and now McDonald added during the year.

They now have some options on the wing and at the 4. They are still likely not a factor, but they are somewhat intriguing.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Portland's season is over.

Care to elaborate on that?
    They will be lucky to win a round. They aren't winning three.
    I don't see them winning a series against Golden State, Memphis, or San Antonio once they hit the next gear. Probably aren't beating OKC in a series. Coin flips probably against Dallas and and the Clippers. Should be favorites against Houston.

Agree that winning a round (like they did last year) is probably the high water mark for them. Next step would be actually being competitive in the second round.
    That's how I see it. I think Houston is improved from last year though and are better than Portland.
    I like the KJ Mcdaniels move. Not sure where he plays yet but he is a fucking freak.
    Houston has some depth. Josh Smith, Corey Brewer, and now McDonald added during the year.

They now have some options on the wing and at the 4. They are still likely not a factor, but they are somewhat intriguing.
    I just don't trust them to play defense ... until I see it when it matters, I'm not going to say that they are worth a shit.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

If this Philly team is what it takes to kill the stat nerd mythos once and for all, I'll take it. Between that and Sacramento's three coach dreckfest of a season. But holy fuckus, just move the team to Seattle already and put Philly out of its misery.

Completely agree about analytical overload. It's jumped the shark.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Miami aint doing shit. Yeah that might win a series but that team looks an awful lot like the Lakers did a few years ago. Good move for them for now but they aren't winning a title and they are going to suck ass in a few years.

I love how those arrogant cunts were saying Lebron should thank them. Even with Deng, they went from being a title contender 4 years in a row to a below 500 team immediately.
  • Options
    The Heat have had a lot of injuries ... Bosh went to the hospital tonight I heard on my way home ... Wade's a shell of himself ... Bosh has a few good years left in him. Dragic is good and should help create an easier load on both Bosh and Wade.

The biggest hole that has been left by LBJ leaving Miami was that he was the primary ball handler. They didn't have anybody on the roster that could create for others. They have that now in Dragic.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The only offseason move by the Suns was signing IT. Signing him for 4 years at $27MM was a great move. Unfortunately, Dragic never really adjusted. In fact, Dragic never really adjusted to the Suns signing Beldsoe the year before. He went off last year only after Bledsoe got hurt.

Dragic is a shoot-first player. Always has been. Sure he picks up some assists, but for a guy who thinks of himself as a point guard, setting up his teammates is not a strength.

Losing IT is going to hurt the Suns in the short term. We'll see how Goodwin and Bullock fill in. They are both big guards with lots of physical talent, but it has not been proven in the NBA.

IMO, the Sun's starting 5 got better and younger, the bench got weaker. Their salary cap position, however, got a lot better.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Isaiah has beaten the odds and become a good NBA player. The problem is, he is 5'8" and will always be a defensive liability. It's tough to win in the NBA with him as your PG.

I don't think trading IT was a bad move by the Suns. They don't need any more offense. Bledsoe, Knight, Morris, and Green can all fill it up. Dumping IT's salary for Thonrton's expiring and getting Cleveland's first round pick doesn't look great, but it could pay off in a future move. Even if the Suns made the playoffs, they were still irrelevant and aren't doing anything until they add to their roster.

The Suns fucked up getting three PG's and upsetting all three at different times. I doubt anyone will trust their front office anymore. That's the biggest issue and downside of the moves today.
  • Options
    HuskiesADWHuskiesADW Member Posts: 141
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    Phillies GM is smart in the way he deals. MCW can't shoot and puts up stats on a terrible team. Why not offload him for a draft pick? You always want to capitalize on a player when their value is at their highest. They have had over a year to evaluate MCW so instead of keeping him you trade him to get some asset in return (in this case a first round pick).

With the amount of draft picks they have in the next couple of drafts they can easily use them to acquire an all-star caliber player(s). What they have been banking on is drafting the next superstar and unfortunately the last two drafts didn't have an obvious one. Wiggins is good but I don't think he will be a superstar by an means. He will play in a couple of all star games but that is about it.

If they can get Mudiay (spelling?) in this upcoming draft we might see the Sixers begin to actually build their roster back up as they will have a very good young piece to build around. Drafting Okafor would also be a good move but I just don't see the hype when I watch him play at Duke. He is going to have a long career in the NBA but I just don't see the comparisons to Duncan that many throw out there...

Otherwise I like what the Suns did as they balance out their roster and pick up Knight who I think fits their team a little better than Dragic. Bledsoe/Dragic are similar in the way they play as both like to push the fast break, drive to the rim and are below average shooters from outside. Knight is a very good shooter and will provide Phoenix with a different look. He is also much younger and I would say has better potential down the road (good for Phoenix's young core of players).
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Phillies GM is smart in the way he deals. MCW can't shoot and puts up stats on a terrible team. Why not offload him for a draft pick? You always want to capitalize on a player when their value is at their highest. They have had over a year to evaluate MCW so instead of keeping him you trade him to get some asset in return (in this case a first round pick).

With the amount of draft picks they have in the next couple of drafts they can easily use them to acquire an all-star caliber player(s). What they have been banking on is drafting the next superstar and unfortunately the last two drafts didn't have an obvious one. Wiggins is good but I don't think he will be a superstar by an means. He will play in a couple of all star games but that is about it.

If they can get Mudiay (spelling?) in this upcoming draft we might see the Sixers begin to actually build their roster back up as they will have a very good young piece to build around. Drafting Okafor would also be a good move but I just don't see the hype when I watch him play at Duke. He is going to have a long career in the NBA but I just don't see the comparisons to Duncan that many throw out there...

Otherwise I like what the Suns did as they balance out their roster and pick up Knight who I think fits their team a little better than Dragic. Bledsoe/Dragic are similar in the way they play as both like to push the fast break, drive to the rim and are below average shooters from outside. Knight is a very good shooter and will provide Phoenix with a different look. He is also much younger and I would say has better potential down the road (good for Phoenix's young core of players).

The problem with the GM's strategy, is that you only have a 1/4 chance of hitting number 1 to begin with. On top of that, A Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaq, Lebron, Durant, type players come around once every 5-6 years. So, basic math is telling me that Philly could possibly tank the next 20 years before they get that magical draft icon. That's Philly's only hope, because they are not going to get free agents to want to come there, because there isn't anybody else to build around.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The problem with the GM's strategy, is that you only have a 1/4 chance of hitting number 1 to begin with. On top of that, A Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaq, Lebron, Durant, type players come around once every 5-6 years. So, basic math is telling me that Philly could possibly tank the next 20 years before they get that magical draft icon. That's Philly's only hope, because they are not going to get free agents to want to come there, because there isn't anybody else to build around.
    I agree, but their plan isn't to get free agents now. They plan on getting them or trading for one once Embiid or another young guy proves he is a guy to build around. So far, they haven't gotten that guy and tanking is always a risk because franchise guys are rare and there is never a guarantee of the first pick.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    All this makes you like the Atlanta Hawks all the more. Lots of good parts playing team basketball.
  • Options
    In the NBA you tank until you get a superstar caliber player as that is essentially the only way you will win a championship. In the last twenty years only the Pistons won a championship without a player who is considered to be one of the top 25 players to ever play the game.

As a result it makes no sense to try to contend every year but finish either as a 7/8 seed or with a late lottery pick. You are just not getting anywhere. Now you can still find great players that can turn a franchise around with one of these picks (Paul George before he got hurt, Gasol, Parker, Kobe, Nash, Kemp, Malone, Stockton, English, etc.,) but the probability of getting a difference maker is much higher with a top 5 pick.

If Philly can find the next great player with a top 5 pick in the next couple of years than tanking will be worth it. They accumulated draft picks and cap space. Once they find the player they want to build around they can easily trade some draft picks for an established player/veteran or sign complementary pieces on the FA market.

The player they really wanted was Wiggins. It sucks that it didn't work out for them but they should be able to get either Mudiay or Okafor. If they get Mudiay that would be great for the Sixers as I think he will be the best player in this draft class and probably the best prospect from the past three or four drafts...
  • Options
    The collection of talent in the league right now is as high as it has been in a long time. Teams like Atlanta have a number of very good players that are proving that you can win at a high level by executing and having an identity. The Spurs have been to back to back championships with their HOF caliber players being well past their prime. Some of the biggest superstars in the league have struggled this year due to their supporting casts not being up to speed.

Superstars no doubt help you to win titles. But it's not a be all to end all.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

In the NBA you tank until you get a superstar caliber player as that is essentially the only way you will win a championship. In the last twenty years only the Pistons won a championship without a player who is considered to be one of the top 25 players to ever play the game.

As a result it makes no sense to try to contend every year but finish either as a 7/8 seed or with a late lottery pick. You are just not getting anywhere. Now you can still find great players that can turn a franchise around with one of these picks (Paul George before he got hurt, Gasol, Parker, Kobe, Nash, Kemp, Malone, Stockton, English, etc.,) but the probability of getting a difference maker is much higher with a top 5 pick.

If Philly can find the next great player with a top 5 pick in the next couple of years than tanking will be worth it. They accumulated draft picks and cap space. Once they find the player they want to build around they can easily trade some draft picks for an established player/veteran or sign complementary pieces on the FA market.

The player they really wanted was Wiggins. It sucks that it didn't work out for them but they should be able to get either Mudiay or Okafor. If they get Mudiay that would be great for the Sixers as I think he will be the best player in this draft class and probably the best prospect from the past three or four drafts...

This strategy is only sound when you are guaranteed a #1 pick. How many times does the worst team actually get the first pick?

It is pretty funny to think that this GM's strategy is entirely dependent on winning the powerball. I just hope that when the Sixers do happen to win it, it's of the same quality as the 2000 NBA draft with the top three careers being Michael Redd (2nd Round), Kenyon Martin, and Jamaal Magloire.

You guys seriously need to look at that draft, it's got to be the worst collection of draft picks ever recorded.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Even when the 76er

This strategy is only sound when you are guaranteed a #1 pick. How many times does the worst team actually get the first pick?

It is pretty funny to think that this GM's strategy is entirely dependent on winning the powerball. I just hope that when the Sixers do happen to win it, it's of the same quality as the 2000 NBA draft with the top three careers being Michael Redd (2nd Round), Kenyon Martin, and Jamaal Magloire.

You guys seriously need to look at that draft, it's got to be the worst collection of draft picks ever recorded.
    2000 is a dreckfest. 2013 could end up giving it a run.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Even when the 76er

2000 is a dreckfest. 2013 could end up giving it a run.
    What's also amazing is that this strategy should really only be considered by teams that can't aquire top notch talent. Teams like Portland, Sacramento, Orlando, etc. will only win through the draft. Cleveland also fits this theory, they got lucky in that Lebron was born in their backyard. Philadelphia is a big city, and is a nice ticket for free agents, if you just have one premier player. Hell, Philly could trade 2 of their first rounders and get a premier guy. Once they have that one guy, then other players will follow. Iverson didn't get help I know, but that was more on Iverson than Philly.
  • Options
    Yeah the 2000 NBA draft was terrible and probably the worst ever (2013 draft might give them a run for their money).

I don't think it is all about getting the number one draft pick. They just need to get a top three pick I think.

Embiid is going to be a huge piece for Philly. If (and this is a huge IF) he can get healthy he has huge potential. Although chances are his career is done as rarely a big ends up having a good/great career after breaking their foot early on in his career (plus the back problems). His per 40 numbers in college were better than Okafor's this season at the same age so the potential is real.

They also have Saric's draft rights and potentially four picks in this years draft (they acquired the Lakers pick (top 5 protected this year and top 3 protected next year) and also their own (likely top 3).

They need to hit on this draft pick and draft Mudiay and hope they get the Lakers pick this year (17% chance at the moment).

I don't know I generally have agreed with the moves Hinkie has been making. When he lost out on Wiggins he took the guy with the biggest potential in Embiid. Traded MCW for possibly the number 6 pick this year and if not a first next year (only top 3 protected in 2016).

I also don't care about "alienating" the fan base. Every fan base has a set amount of fans that will watch/go to games no matter how good/bad a team is. Rest are like all the 12s out on the streets of Seattle.

If the 76ers start winning the fans will be there.
  • Options

Yeah the 2000 NBA draft was terrible and probably the worst ever (2013 draft might give them a run for their money).

I don't think it is all about getting the number one draft pick. They just need to get a top three pick I think.

Embiid is going to be a huge piece for Philly. If (and this is a huge IF) he can get healthy he has huge potential. Although chances are his career is done as rarely a big ends up having a good/great career after breaking their foot early on in his career (plus the back problems). His per 40 numbers in college were better than Okafor's this season at the same age so the potential is real.

They also have Saric's draft rights and potentially four picks in this years draft (they acquired the Lakers pick (top 5 protected this year and top 3 protected next year) and also their own (likely top 3).

They need to hit on this draft pick and draft Mudiay and hope they get the Lakers pick this year (17% chance at the moment).

I don't know I generally have agreed with the moves Hinkie has been making. When he lost out on Wiggins he took the guy with the biggest potential in Embiid. Traded MCW for possibly the number 6 pick this year and if not a first next year (only top 3 protected in 2016).

I also don't care about "alienating" the fan base. Every fan base has a set amount of fans that will watch/go to games no matter how good/bad a team is. Rest are like all the 12s out on the streets of Seattle.

If the 76ers start winning the fans will be there.

Maybe, but if it doesn't happen soon, the GM won't be.