Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What ISIS Really Wants

Read this TL;DR (actually did read) artcile yesterday (link at bottom); it is the best piece I have read on ISIS and really explained a lot and also talks about how the US has fucked up in the past year or so in figuring out what ISIS is all about.

TL;DR cliffnote version of article:

-ISIS IS Islamic. Basically they want to go back to medieval Islamic times and are living as such.
-Their leader has only really talked one time in public, when he declared himself the Caliphate last summer. Basically, every Muslim is supposed to follow him and he is the commander of all Muslims (Or should be according to Islamic law). THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of Muslims have left their lives behind to go live under his rule and territory.
-ISIS NEEDS territory, if they don't have territory it will crumble because the Caliphate will become illegitimate.
-ISIS and their followers, in accordance with Islamic laws and such can not be involved in political processes as their is only one true God. So don't bother trying to get them to negotiate.
-Basically peace is impossible for them because if they aren't trying to expand their territory the Caliphate is illegitimate in their eyes.
-Genocide is required. Basically they want everyone that isn't them to be murdered or to be enslaved. Christians would become slaves as long as they pay a tax to them; if they deny the tax they will be beheaded or crucified.
-They are surrounded by Muslims, but ISIS considers most of those Muslims to be living in sin and wants them dead.
-The big one is that they truly believe they are the ones who will play a part in the upcoming Apocalypse. They are bringing those events into motion with everything they do.
-When they beheaded the American Aid worker last year they did so at the grounds (Dabiq an area in Syria) they believe will be the important war between them and "Rome". The reason they always mention Rome is because that is who the Koran says will be the enemy (although Rome can now just be the West).
-ISIS hates Al-Qaeda because they haven't pledged to the Caliphate.
-Beheading, slavery, crucifixion, amputation (for stealing and what not) are all very acceptable to these people; and in fact they are required.

You should read the article, some pretty crazy shit in there. I hope our leaders read it, because clearly they don't understand what ISIS is all about.

theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

Comments

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,614
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Sam Harris also plugged this article as the best on the topic of Isis and what they want.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,131
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Yeah but how is the middle east completely fucked?
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,578
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MSNBC tells me they just need job opportunities.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    ISIS is fucked up.

And I don't see our existing leadership seeing it as such.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

What would be relatively easy to nix at this point will be delayed until it becomes more of a problem because the West worrying about being PC will delay this until it becomes an issue that can't be ignored a dirty bomb goes off in London or New York

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited February 2015
    Agreed Tequila... eventhough it has reached the point of not being ignored most of America is concerned with their next phone upgrade or what lebron is tweeting and what kevin Durant said to diss the media.

What will it take? A beheading on American soil?

Big bad America having to take out the trash that other countries don't want to do.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Exactly what I said yesterday. If you aren't them then they want you dead. It's something that cannot be reasoned with. It has to be wiped out. Giving them jobs isn't the fucking answer. That was an answer for Iraq and we thoroughly fucked that up.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    dnc said:

I read it all.

Thank you very much for poasting. I found the articulation of the differences between ISIS and Al Qaeda very interesting. I also have a much better concept of what a caliphate is, and why this is a much bigger deal than I realized.

It's going to get ugly.

Yeah, this is some serious stuff. I also learned a great deal about all of this. Really glad I actually read it (reading is hard).
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Great article. Thanks.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    AZDuck said:

Great article. Thanks.

You're welcome, actual Duck.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,578
    Swaye's Wigwam
    brchco12 said:

Just finished, interesting and completely sobering topic. This has been, is, and will continue to be an unbelievably complex issue that our diluted society will struggle to comprehend.

Case and point

Yet, just over a year ago, Obama told The New Yorker that he considered ISIS to be al-Qaeda’s weaker partner. “If a jayvee team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant,” the president said.

This is the fucking president of the United states, arguably the spokesman for the western world, using an NBA metaphor.

He must have seen our NBA Hot Talk.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    For all the pacifists read what the dalia lama has to say about war....he basically says if you go asking for it you might just get it....and tough shit
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    PurpleJ said:

brchco12 said:

Just finished, interesting and completely sobering topic. This has been, is, and will continue to be an unbelievably complex issue that our diluted society will struggle to comprehend.

Case and point

Yet, just over a year ago, Obama told The New Yorker that he considered ISIS to be al-Qaeda’s weaker partner. “If a jayvee team puts on Lakers uniforms that doesn’t make them Kobe Bryant,” the president said.

This is the fucking president of the United states, arguably the spokesman for the western world, using an NBA metaphor.

He must have seen our NBA Hot Talk.
    Hey come on now ESPN has him on every year for braketology, he loves hoops.
  • Options
    brchco12 said:

Case and point

Blacks going to be black.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    always about the blacks with you people