Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Lincoln's Dehonta Hayes: A Gem being Overlooked?

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
imageLincoln's Dehonta Hayes: A Gem being Overlooked?

The outstanding play of Dehonta Hayes warrants more attention from the Pac-12, write James Christianson from Under the Radar.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Kind of player that you'd like to see potentially take a preferred walk-on offer from the UW with the opportunity to earn a full scholarship if warranted on the field.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    WSU's "glory days" were filled with kids like this guy. He's definitely capable.

If he's an A student, we should definitely try to get him to walk on.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015
    Does he have any offers from FCS school like Eastern or Montana?

5'11" 190 with 4.4 speed combined with production and no offers from anyone? James, are those accurate or are they self reported?
  • Options
    JamesChristiansonJamesChristianson Member Posts: 45
    5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    RoadDawg55: His height and weight came from MaxPrep's roster. The 4.4 speed was reported to me by a coach when I could not find it online. And, of course, I observed it when seeing him run by other players on the field with known 4.5 speed (like Gaskin). To be clear, I was not saying he has no offers. I am just surprised there are none from Pac 12 schools (that I have heard). The latest report on offers that I can find was a July 11, 2014 article on NEI quoting Hayes as saying he has offers from Navy, Eastern WA, Montana St., Montana, Portland ST., UTEP & UC Davis. Four months later, he self-reported that he had 7 offers and that he would wait until signing day to commit. In November, he stated that he had been talking to Arizona, Cal, UW and WSU, but no offers. He was a 2014 pre-season, all-state pick (TNT) and was the NW College Showcase DB MVP in 2013 when Austin Joyner was there. So, it seems there was great attention surrounding Hayes early in high school. But, that attention seemed to fade this year, for some unapparent reason.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    Tequila long. Read. Good stuff. Would love to see him become a preferred walk on at UW.
  • Options
    JamesChristiansonJamesChristianson Member Posts: 45
    5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes Testing 1

Does he have any offers from FCS school like Eastern or Montana?

5'11" 190 with 4.4 speed combined with production and no offers from anyone? James, are those accurate or are they self reported?

I see that Wyoming and Nevada have been added to the list...making a total of 4 FBS and 5 FCS college offers.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    We need another WR/S. Any chance we are interested but keeping it quiet?

This article doesn't square with his offers. So either there is something else going on, he has some obvious limitation (size?), or he just wasn't really that dominant.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015

We need another WR/S. Any chance we are interested but keeping it quiet?

This article doesn't square with his offers. So either there is something else going on, he has some obvious limitation (size?), or he just wasn't really that dominant.

Prognosticators generally like to be right. It's hard to believe he would be preseason all-state and then not get awarded after such a dominant season. Even if there were off the field issues that were hurting his recruitment, the lists and accolades aren't going to reflect them.

Not saying he's not a player or an idiot, so don't twist.

• Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Walk on at best.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2015
    Not a fan of this thread. Is this a place for aspiring HS athletes to get exposure or TBS companies who do videos for those athletes? I sure hope not.

FWIW, I wish nothing but the best for Dehonta.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Watch at 7:24 of the highlights of the game (2nd video). A player on Lincoln drops a pick and the ref calls it a fumble that Lincoln returns for a score. I wish Lincoln would have won the game, but that was probably the worst call I have ever seen.

I wish the best for Dehonta too. I hope you get the Pac 12 offer, but you have some pretty good offers to be grateful for. The NFL is full of players that went to smaller schools.
  • Options
    MakaDawgMakaDawg Member Posts: 492
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Kid's got wheels, and speed kills.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015

Watch at 7:24 of the highlights of the game (2nd video). A player on Lincoln drops a pick and the ref calls it a fumble that Lincoln returns for a score. I wish Lincoln would have won the game, but that was probably the worst call I have ever seen.

I wish the best for Dehonta too. I hope you get the Pac 12 offer, but you have some pretty good offers to be grateful for. The NFL is full of players that went to smaller schools.

Can't really tell from the angle, but that looked like a bubble screen play so maybe it was one of those borderline he threw it backwards calls. Either way, that's why you stick with it and maybe full the refs on the 50-50 call.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Can't really tell from the angle, but that looked like a bubble screen play so maybe it was one of those borderline he threw it backwards calls. Either way, that's why you stick with it and maybe full the refs on the 50-50 call.
    The WR is moving upfield so I think it was still a bad call, but I wasn't paying attention to it possibly being a lateral.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    The bottom line here is that if that POS Ben-Hurr is worth a scholly, Dehonta is. Also, Dehonta's got to learn to wrap up. He kill-shots everyone, which is okay until it's not.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

WSU's "glory days" were filled with kids like this guy. He's definitely capable.

If he's an A student, we should definitely try to get him to walk on.

*back in the days when WSU would use their taxpayer subsidy on in-state players?
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Pretty simple really Chrissysen, you don't know what the f*** you're looking for