Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Anyone Watch Klay Score 37 Points in The 3rd Quarter?

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Horford won back to back in college.

One thing that absolutely cracks me up is hearing people talk about superstars winning in the NBA. That's normally because the Superstars are often on the best team. When the league is down, the surrounding teams aren't that good and as such the superstar has more of an influence.

The thing about the NBA right now is that the depth of quality players is at its highest mark since the 1980s. The biggest difference between now and the 80s is that the league's best players (LBJ, KD) aren't on the best teams.

Take a team like Atlanta for example:

Forget what the numbers say, Horford is an easy All-Star and probably ranks right up there with the Gasols, Noah, and Duncan as the best pure bigs in the game at the 5 position (I don't include guys like Cousins who is more of a PF to me, Davis, or Dirk as comparables).

Millsap is a solid player that is at worst a fringe all-star player throughout his career. He's been a 17 and 8 guy for 5 straight years now ... solid player.

Jeff Teague is another guy that continues to grow a little bit each year and ranks right on the edge of being at worst a fringe all-star player. 17 and 7 for the last 3 years.

Kyle Korver is the premier shooter in the NBA when it comes to stretching the defense.

Their bench is full of unspectacular, but useful, role players that come into the game and contribute with solid minutes.

This is a strong team that is benefiting some by playing in the East. But at the same time, they know their identity. They know what works for them and what doesn't. And everybody on the team has some role that they play and they have all bought in. Very dangerous team as long as Horford is healthy. If he isn't, they torpedo quickly.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,723
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm right

Half the NBA titles in history have been won by two teams. The rest are by multiple winner other than the Thunder and the Wizards who have one a piece. That's why superstars win titles, because they do. This isn't the NFL.

Watch and learn kids.

George Karl has how many rings? Same as the Hawks and Bulls players.
  • Options

I'm right

Half the NBA titles in history have been won by two teams. The rest are by multiple winner other than the Thunder and the Wizards who have one a piece. That's why superstars win titles, because they do. This isn't the NFL.

Watch and learn kids.

Why do you hate Pau Gasol?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I want the Hawks to win just so @RaceBannon‌ will be proven wrong.
  • Options
    And the whole concept of great players is just as easy discredited.

There were few players in the history of the game that had a bigger star associated with them than Dr. J. He won exactly one NBA title in the NBA ... and that was driven more from the zenith of Moses Malone than Dr. J.

The whole half the titles have been won by 2 teams is driven by the players that played for those organizations. The Lakers titles were driven by George Mikan (who required the rules of the games to be changed because of how dominant he was during the time he played), Magic, and Shaq/Kobe. Forgetting about Mikan for a second, the other 3 are 3 of the top 12 players to ever play the game. Mikan gets discredited today but when he played the gap between the best and next best player was night and day. The Celtics had great players but more of a team concept centered around the greatest winner in the history of the game in Bill Russell. They won a couple of titles in the 70s based off of solid team play with an aging Hondo, JoJo White, and Dave Cowens (who will never be confused with one of the 20 greatest players of all time). Then they won 3 in the 80s behind a Top 5 All-Time player in Bird (and a very balanced roster) and then 1 in 2008 with another balanced team effort led by some great players (KG, Allen, Pierce, and Rondo) but again, not one player that would be considered an all-time great.

The Lakers have won titles driven by star players and then surrounding them with supporting players. Celtics have won titles with solid teams and their big runs have come when they've had generational talent surrounded by those solid teams.

You can run off a massive list of great players in the history of the game that have not won titles.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We're not talking about the great players who didn't win titles, we are talking about the ones that did.

I'm right. And brief

That's a lot of words to show that the Lakers and Celtics have won half the titles. LA has played for half the titles.

I said superstars win titles and repeat teams win titles. Nothing you wrote argues against that
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm right a 60 year old LeBron fan boy.

Watch and learn kids.

George Karl has how many rings? Same as the Hawks and Bulls players

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm not 60 and that does not disprove my point either.

I guess that's the best you got so there's that

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015

I'm not 60 and that does not disprove my point either.

I guess that's the best you got so there's that

I know that superstars typically win titles. We all know the history of the league.

It's lazy analysis to say nobody on the Bulls or Hawks have won. They at least have core players who have won playoff series. Love and Irving have never played in a playoff game. They aren't winning 4 series. They are going to choke. I'm sure Mike Miller and James Jones' experience will pay off huge come playoff time.

Like I said. 2014 Heat >>>>> 2015 Cavs. You were wrong last year and you will be wrong again.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Heat won the east last year. It's all over the Internet.

You can call it lazy but it's a better analysis than thinking Millsap and Horford will win anything

Superstars make the other players better. That's why they go to the finals. Lebron is proven

I'm right

You're not
  • Options
    Right now if the playoffs started today it'd be the Cavs versus the Bulls.

Assuming that both teams get to that series healthy, I'd be SHOCKED if the Bulls didn't win that series.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015

The Heat won the east last year. It's all over the Internet.

You can call it lazy but it's a better analysis than thinking Millsap and Horford will win anything

Superstars make the other players better. That's why they go to the finals. Lebron is proven

I'm right

You're not

Biggest myth of LeBron that he makes players so much better. Who are these players?

If anyone is beating the Hawks, it's the Bulls. They actually defend.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sounds like you just like the sound of your own voice. You seriously need to know who Lebron makes better?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015

Sounds like you just like the sound of your own voice. You seriously need to know who Lebron makes better?

LeBron made Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh better? How about Kevin Love? Mike Miller played better last year on Memphis than he ever did on Miami or Cleveland. What player came to a LeBron team and produced more than their previous team? It's not meant as a criticism. It's truth.

LeBron is a great player and he makes every team he's on better because he's a great player. Pretty simple. I don't think the Cavs are losing in the East because of him. LeBron is still the best player in the league. The rest of their team sucks and/or lacks experience. Every one of the Heat teams was better than this year's Cavs. The league has gotten better as LeBron's teams have gotten worse. Everyone but you realizes that.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited January 2015

I'm right

Watch and learn kids.

Good poont.

I forgot about all those trophies at Cavs headquarters.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Stop trying so hard. See you losers in May to remind you I am right

grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-lebron-cavaliers-thunder-anthony-davis/
  • Options

LeBron made Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh better? How about Kevin Love? Mike Miller played better last year on Memphis than he ever did on Miami or Cleveland. What player came to a LeBron team and produced more than their previous team? It's not meant as a criticism. It's truth.

LeBron is a great player and he makes every team he's on better because he's a great player. Pretty simple. I don't think the Cavs are losing in the East because of him. LeBron is still the best player in the league. The rest of their team sucks and/or lacks experience. Every one of the Heat teams was better than this year's Cavs. The league has gotten better as LeBron's teams have gotten worse. Everyone but you realizes that.
    The gap between LBJ being the best player in the league and the next best player continues to close as we are beginning to see a more slowed down LBJ over time. This will only continue.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

If you don't suck LeBron dick at every opportunity, you are trying hard. You get sandy every time.

I'll be beating my chest in May.
  • Options

If you don't suck LeBron dick at every opportunity, you are trying hard. You get sandy every time.

I'll be beating my chest in May.
    Speaking of which ... 3 back.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

You're the one researching what percentage of titles have been won by two franchises but we're the ones trying too hard?

When you're Race Motherfucking Bannon but you haves to be your own minion, you're probably pressing.