Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What I'm Hearing Re: Fotu ...

I'm hearing that there's a reason Pete isn't recruiting Fotu ... getting my popcorn ready.

Comments

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,717 Swaye's Wigwam
    Is it because he's a lock to TCU?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Is it because he's a lock to TCU?

No ... the Biggus bat signal needs to be lit
  • section8section8 Member Posts: 1,581
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    After watching more of his film, he looks fantastic. I don't know why we're not offering him...

BBK is not a favorite of the DeYoung household.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited January 2015

I'm not purpledawgfan but I don't see anything in Fotu's film that leads me to believe he would be a great college player. His film shows 2 plays:

1) Him blind-siding and blowing up 140 lb. special teams players who are pursuing a ball carrier
    2) Him "going in motion" as a linebacker and blitzing between 200 lb. offensive linemen to hit the qb or running back.

The 2A SPSL is an absolutely horrible league. No one was looking at this kid DURING HIS SEASON and now all of a sudden he has offers from all over the country? Something doesn't add up

Disagree. I would love for someone to break down the film play by play because he does a lot more than blow up guys on special teams and blitz. Leiato has football instincts that can't be taught. If the timing on those blitzes don't impress you, I don't know what will. It's a skill. He's a baller. The going in motion is called pre snap movement. It's good stuff that coaches JO about.

The only question is his size. Smart players who love to hit are valuable. Some guys tolerate being physical. Leiato obviously loves it. He was a great high school player on offense, defense, and special teams. It's a great highlight film. I honestly don't get how anyone could argue about it.

He's getting all these offers because nobody know about him because Steilacoom and the league suck. Guys fly under the radar all the time. The NFL is full of guys who got very little attention coming out of high school. Leiato got an offer or two, the tape got out and he blew up. It's not really that crazy of a recruiting tale.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,046 Standard Supporter

I'm not purpledawgfan but I don't see anything in Fotu's film that leads me to believe he would be a great college player. His film shows 2 plays:

1) Him blind-siding and blowing up 140 lb. special teams players who are pursuing a ball carrier
    2) Him "going in motion" as a linebacker and blitzing between 200 lb. offensive linemen to hit the qb or running back.

The 2A SPSL is an absolutely horrible league. No one was looking at this kid DURING HIS SEASON and now all of a sudden he has offers from all over the country? Something doesn't add up

Disagree. I would love for someone to break down the film play by play because he does a lot more than blow up guys on special teams and blitz. Leiato has football instincts that can't be taught. If the timing on those blitzes don't impress you, I don't know what will. It's a skill. He's a baller. The going in motion is called pre snap movement. It's good stuff that coaches JO about.

The only question is his size. Smart players who love to hit are valuable. Some guys tolerate being physical. Leiato obviously loves it. He was a great high school player on offense, defense, and special teams. It's a great highlight film. I honestly don't get how anyone could argue about it.

He's getting all these offers because nobody know about him because Steilacoom and the league suck. Guys fly under the radar all the time. The NFL is full of guys who got very little attention coming out of high school. Leiato got an offer or two, the tape got out and he blew up. It's not really that crazy of a recruiting tale.
    Are these offers confirmed? Has he been on a visit yet? Has an impressive offer list if true.

I see the same thing @RoadDawg55‌ does. He looks like a beast to me. I think Pete has a bit of a stubborn streak in him and I think we're seeing it here... I think we saw it with Eason.

We'll see, but he looks damn good to my eyes.
    I don't mind not offering him. I just think it's pretty evident this guy is good. Saying he only blows up guys on special teams is kind of coogish. He's making all kinds of plays on that tape to go along with the big hits on special teams.

I wish he could take Manu or another guy's spot, but we know Petersen would never do that. BBK and Beavers are undersized LB's. Lewis from last year is another one. We have enough of those guys.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732

I don't mind not offering him. I just think it's pretty evident this guy is good. Saying he only blows up guys on special teams is kind of coogish. He's making all kinds of plays on that tape to go along with the big hits on special teams.

I wish he could take Manu or another guy's spot, but we know Petersen would never do that. BBK and Beavers are undersized LB's. Lewis from last year is another one. We have enough of those guys.

So why take a guy who is smaller than all 3 you referenced?

And I'm not sure you saw the picture of Manu on his visit, but he is far from undersized.

I don't mind not offering him, either. You basically said exactly how I feel. I think Pete is the kind of guy that will just stick to his plan and sometimes that means not offering a guy who has 4* offers in your back yard.

I, like you, am nonplussed at our tremendous bounty of undersized, hyphenated linebacking recruits.

Manu was only interesting to me given that he would pair with Rex Manu for the 'Manu Manu' defense.

BBK is not particularly inspiring.

Beavers looks okay on film, but is small and ultimately not impressive.

Bartlett is the only guy I think has a chance to be All Pac-12.

What do I know, though?

When Sark came in, he took about 25 undersized LBs too and I couldn't figure out why he was doing it. I think the real answer is that they are the easiest players in HS to find. 6-0.5, 195, 4.6 LBs listed as 6-2, 220, 4.5 are everywhere. Every now and then they pan out, but their ceiling is generally becoming Princeton Fuimaono.
    HuskyInAZ said:

And I'm not sure you saw the picture of Manu on his visit, but he is far from undersized.
    They have told Manu they want him to play 'Buck'. He seems a bit Andrew Hudson for that, but we'll see.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
    B-B-K- and Fotu look like the same player except BB-K is bigger and played against better competition and did it for at least 2 years and was All-State in CA. And while I'll take Kidd Valley any day over In-n-Out, CA is a better a football state, no?
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,609
    Is that from an interview? Would be strange because Manu is only 6'1" right?

We just don't know what goes on behind closed doors and on recruiting boards. I actually like BBK and would love to have both players but could it throw the balance of the class out of whack? Reading between the lines, it seems like the staff is more concerned about the DL and WR positions than the LB position where we might be full.

I guess for me it's great if we can get Lotu aboard but I'd understand if the timing / fit just didn't work out.

HuskyInAZ said:

They have told Manu they want him to play 'Buck'. He seems a bit Andrew Hudson for that, but we'll see.
    AEB said:

B-B-K- and Fotu look like the same player except BB-K is bigger and played against better competition and did it for at least 2 years and was All-State in CA. And while I'll take Kidd Valley any day over In-n-Out, CA is a better a football state, no?

BBK also plays in a terrible league according to Biggins and Huffman.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,549 Founders Club
    edited January 2015
    Hopefully he goes Oklahoma. His tape looks pretty friggin* impressive and the last thing the huskies need is a guy with a chip on his shoulder head hunting on special teams. Fragile Ross would be broken in half if he connected.

*edited for content
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
    edited January 2015

AEB said:

BBK also plays in a terrible league according to Biggins and Huffman.
    Looks that way. However, his team did win the Central Coast Section championship beating Bellarmine in the process. There's a few teams in the playoffs that usually put PSA into college every year, Bellarmine (KJCS last year), Valley Christian, Los Gatos, Oak Grove for example. So while his league does look weak, the section looks decent. I don't have an ax either way regarding BBK and/or Fotu, and generally I believe in abundance. I just think Pete is taking undo flak on this one (plenty of ammo to go around on other topics which I'm happy to namely Jonathan Smith).
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    edited January 2015
    BBK is two-time all area player of the year, and two-time state small school player of the year. One thing I would be curious about is what types of local league awards Fotu has won.

Just checked, Fotu won defensive player of the year for SPSL 2A
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,489 Standard Supporter

BBK is two-time all area player of the year, and two-time state small school player of the year. One thing I would be curious about is what types of local league awards Fotu has won.

SPLS 2A Defensive POY
    http://www.theolympian.com/2014/11/24/3444120_football-all-2a-spsl-teams.html?rh=1