Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What I'm Hearing Re: Fotu ...

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Whether you think Fotu should get an offer, please retire the bullshit about him only blowing up guys on special teams. It's fiction.

He was first team all league on offense as an athlete, first team KR, and MVP on defense. He did everything for Steilacoom. He was a great high school player.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,717 Swaye's Wigwam
    Are grades an issue? Does he need to retake his SATs? Is there a risk that he might not qualify compared to some of the other prospects that UW and other schools are recruiting?

We've all seen his highlight reel, but what does the entire game footage show? Does he take plays off? Does he headbutt players like Peters? Is he actually a cyborg with bionic legs? What about his footage from his junior year?

The fact of the matter is, we have very little information to work on right now. Yes, Fotu is a great prospect who has the skills to play BCS-level football. Yes, he has offers from across the country, including Michigan State, Oklahoma, Oregon, and UCLA. But this is only part of the equation.

Petersen met with Fotu back in early December after he received his first D-1 offer (Wazzu) and decided not to offer him. Petersen probably wants Fotu, but we already had Manu, BBK, Beavers, Turner, Warren and were waiting on Bartlett. Oklahoma only offered Fotu after we secured Turner and Oregon offered Fotu once Bartlett committed to UW. Maybe, just maybe if we missed on one or both, we probably would've entered the Fotu sweepstakes.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971
    Of the LB prospects, I like Tevis and Manu best. I think BBK is undersized, but his game tape shows him everywhere. Whenever I see those undersized LBs I think of Garrett Gilliand.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    AEB said:

Of the LB prospects, I like Tevis and Manu best. I think BBK is undersized, but his game tape shows him everywhere. Whenever I see those undersized LBs I think of Garrett Gilliand.

my favorite LB'ers for this class are Tevis and Beavers, BBK comes in 3rd. Agree with you about freaking out about small lb'ers, mostly because of how crappy they usually end up being for UW.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I don't include Warren as a LB'er because I think he will be a BUCK for UW (I know they consider it a LB'er spot, but still). I really like Warren too, especially if he is rushing the passer.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,947 Swaye's Wigwam
    You guys are mostly all high on BBK and especially Beavers. Those guys are both going to be players.

Watch Beavers' film and see a fast, hard hitting, sure tackling LB who diagnoses what the offense wants to do, manipulates blockers, takes perfect angles, and always runs just as fast as he needs to. He's a bit small now but he'll be fine.
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971

Here is how I see our linebacker situation
    Black: Beavers
    Poly: Manu
    White: BBK, Bartlett
    Unsure: Warren

In my opinion, you only take one guy a year at the white linebacker position. It's good to have those scrappy, unathletic, cerebral, lunchpail guys who will be your team leaders. With two, however, you are starting to run out of space for edgy guys with raw athleticism who is surprisingly well-spoken. With the Poly Linebacker position, you can put them pretty much anywhere on the field as long as they have long hair. I have no doubt that if Manu can start growing his hair out now, he will be either flying around the field as a safety or rushing the passer as a Buck, a torrential stream of hair flailing out from behind his helmet. The plus about bringing in Fotu is that his hair is already grown out and he appears to already play every position on the field. It will be interesting to see which position Warren fits into.

That's some serious value added analysis. Do you think given where team GPA is right now do we need more cerebral types?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    chuck said:

You guys are mostly all high on BBK and especially Beavers. Those guys are both going to be players.

Watch Beavers' film and see a fast, hard hitting, sure tackling LB who diagnoses what the offense wants to do, manipulates blockers, takes perfect angles, and always runs just as fast as he needs to. He's a bit small now but he'll be fine.

I like Beavers too. He's probably my favorite of the bunch. Bartlett seems like a heady player who will tackle well. BBK and Manu are meh.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Steilacoom (Wash.) safety Fotu Leiato received a new Pac-12 offer on Friday when Oregon offered Leiato.
    On Thursday, defensive coordinator Don Pellum visited the school to check in on Leiato.
    They have been recruiting Fotu for the last month or so, but they wanted to meet him in person before extending an offer," said Steilacoom assistant coach William Garrow. "He’s obviously very excited about the offer from Oregon, and he plans to visit there on the final weekend now."
    This weekend, Leiato will visit Washington State, who had an in-home with him on Thursday.
    Next week, Michigan State, San Diego State, Wyoming and Oregon will have in-home visits with Leaito.
    With Leiato scheduling his official visit to Oregon for the final weekend, his visit to UCLA, originally scheduled for that last weekend, is not in the picture as of now.
    "He'll have a possible official visit the 23rd but it's not been determined where, or if, he is going anywhere yet," said Leiato.
    That Sunday night, Washington State head coach Mike Leach and a host of assistants will be back in his home.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,798

Petersen met with Fotu back in early December after he received his first D-1 offer (Wazzu) and decided not to offer him. Petersen probably wants Fotu, but we already had Manu, BBK, Beavers, Turner, Warren and were waiting on Bartlett. Oklahoma only offered Fotu after we secured Turner and Oregon offered Fotu once Bartlett committed to UW. Maybe, just maybe if we missed on one or both, we probably would've entered the Fotu sweepstakes.

Petersen will learn this isn't the MWC. I'll be concerned until he starts beating out schools like Oregon and Oklaho..... Oh nm.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    AZDuck said:

Steilacoom (Wash.) safety Fotu Leiato received a new Pac-12 offer on Friday when Oregon offered Leiato.
    On Thursday, defensive coordinator Don Pellum visited the school to check in on Leiato.
    They have been recruiting Fotu for the last month or so, but they wanted to meet him in person before extending an offer," said Steilacoom assistant coach William Garrow. "He’s obviously very excited about the offer from Oregon, and he plans to visit there on the final weekend now."
    This weekend, Leiato will visit Washington State, who had an in-home with him on Thursday.
    Next week, Michigan State, San Diego State, Wyoming and Oregon will have in-home visits with Leaito.
    With Leiato scheduling his official visit to Oregon for the final weekend, his visit to UCLA, originally scheduled for that last weekend, is not in the picture as of now.
    "He'll have a possible official visit the 23rd but it's not been determined where, or if, he is going anywhere yet," said Leiato.
    That Sunday night, Washington State head coach Mike Leach and a host of assistants will be back in his home.

All these "offers" smell like preferred walk-on / greyshirt offers.
    We need some depth at LB. I think our coaches are going to take a flyer on this kid.
  • BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    AZDuck said:

We need some depth at LB. I think our coaches are going to take a flyer on this kid.

So you need LBs and you take a flyer on a safety?

I will say his special teams highlights are amzing. But, it does need to be said that the SPSL 2A league is really, really weak.
    edited January 2015
    I think Oregon is trying to be the all-Poly football team now.

Also, I've seen Fotu project in either S or LB. Our LB coach is recruiting him, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything
  • steelheader2steelheader2 Member Posts: 368
    It has been reported he is 5'10" 190lbs which is safety size for sure. Since he most likely will be a safety I never saw much in his highlights(which were fun to watch) that suggest he can cover PAC 12 receivers. I like BBK better. I have said it before but will again Fotu is Ikaika Malloe. Tweener, big hitter.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    If All American first round draft pick Peters can get kicked off the team and Parade All American Williams can be benched and not utilized, why waste a scholarship on a player who clearly is not an OKG regardless of who the fuck wants him? Pete doesn't
    Helfrich is visiting Leitau in-home this weekend. I think he's gonna be a Duck