Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Does anyone think the up-tempo offense will mask our O-line?

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
I'll be curious to see if this year's sack totals are reduced as a result of the no-huddle. My sense is that it doesn't matter how quickly we run plays, the issue is how fast Price is able to get rid of the ball. As Emtman famously said, "no huddle for three plays isn't that big of a deal."

Comments

• dtddtd Member Posts: 4,507 Standard Supporter
    Works for Oregon.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,946 Founders Club
    edited August 2013
    No. The OL will perform how they perform regardless of what offense is being run. You can't mask your OL play with a different scheme, in fact, it might make it look even worse.

I'm sure it will make a nice excuse, though. "We are need more time to get these guys understanding the new offense and the blocking schemes." Or something along those lines. Remember all that shit Sark talked about running a pro-style offense in order to prepare our guys for the NFL? What happened to that?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club
    If Price is throwing the football as soon as it reaches his hands, defenses will be quick to adjust and really get up on the receivers. And then Kasen's inability to create separation could become a true liability. Especially if the running game doesn't loosen things up.

I still think Mickens will emerge as a playmaker and obviously ASJ's height is a great weapon for delivering quick throws.
  • section8section8 Member Posts: 1,581
    Who's Emptman?
  • trackertracker Member Posts: 866
    dtd said:

Works for Oregon.

It works for Oregon because their players are very well-coached in blocking and staying true to their assignments. . .everyone operates at a high level. It was Kelly's "attention-to-detail" that made it work. Haven't seen that from Sark yet.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    UA and UO have stellar run games causing the D to tire and then they mix in the pass quite well.

It will work if UW emphasizes the run more and there is no excuse not to do so considering you have strong tailback depth (Taylor, Washington, Callier) and the TE & WRs who should be strong blockers. If you are serious about being a tough team then commit to the run. If effective, passing yards might dip a bit but yards per attempt should be quite high.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    This is why I think OL recruiting/player development is so important. I feel like you can mask average WR's(James era and the 2000 RB title team are proof of that), you can even mask an average RB(rankin had a big year for UW), in college you can mask an average QB if he's smart.

On offense though you can't mask an average to bad OL. They will always be exposed if they are bad. It won't matter what offense you run your OL will be exposed.

Besides Price isn't the type of QB like a Wilson or even a Locker who can "mask" the OL far as sacks given up. The OL will be terrible this year and the no huddle should hurt them as you are running more plays. Just more opportunities to fuck it up.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Nice post, Passion. I think the OL can be masked by getting the ball out quick from the shotgun. Problem is, it always comes back to the OL.

As good as Oregon has been, when they have faced a dominant DL, they have struggled. Stanford, Auburn, LSU, and Ohio State showed the blueprint. The hurry up doesn't matter when the DL is dominating the OL. I think we can mask some OL issues against average teams, but when we play the big boys, they are still gonna fuck us up.

Nice post, Passion. I think the OL can be masked by getting the ball out quick from the shotgun. Problem is, it always comes back to the OL.

As good as Oregon has been, when they have faced a dominant DL, they have struggled. Stanford, Auburn, LSU, and Ohio State showed the blueprint. The hurry up doesn't matter when the DL is dominating the OL. I think we can mask some OL issues against average teams, but when we play the big boys, they are still gonna fuck us up.

Nick Holt showed the blueprint in 2010. Auburn better give Holt a national championship ring as they owe him!

Then same fans a year later "Fire Holt! He's a fucking moron!"

Nick Holt showed the blueprint in 2010. Auburn better give Holt a national championship ring as they owe him!

Then same fans a year later "Fire Holt! He's a fucking moron!"
    Out of all the plunger rapes, that one was acutally my favorite. We played Oregon pretty tough in the first half, despite no Locker and Kearse dropping a 50 yard bomb on the first play. It helped us won the next 4.

On another note, Holt still sucked. Foster was a top 5 defensive player in the coy try, Ta'Amu was a beast when he wanted to be, and Victor A was a playmaker. A good coach would have had at least a top 30 defense with those guys.
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    A little, maybe. You still have to pass block at times. We can't come close.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    Not sure why you would want to get in a track meet with the teams in this conference. I would have swung the pendulum more in the direction of Stanford with a more threatening passing game.

But it is not my job on the line.

As for the Oline, 72 sacks over the last 2 seasons does not fill me with confidence.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,281 Founders Club
    Up tempo for this group means lots of three and outs, plus a gassed defense. Sark is getting too cute. Simplify the offense and game plan to the strengths of the team or perish.

If Price is throwing the football as soon as it reaches his hands, defenses will be quick to adjust and really get up on the receivers. And then Kasen's inability to create separation could become a true liability. Especially if the running game doesn't loosen things up.

I still think Mickens will emerge as a playmaker and obviously ASJ's height is a great weapon for delivering quick throws.

Mickens is still having drop problems as per the practice reports...looks like John Ross could take his spot.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club

Mickens is still having drop problems as per the practice reports...looks like John Ross could take his spot.
    Mickens will RISE to the occasion
    I would like to get excited about Ross, but I remember the reports on Mickens from last year saying the same things.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

I would like to get excited about Ross, but I remember the reports on Mickens from last year saying the same things.

THIS.

The only thing that gives me a little more confidence is that Ross was a lot more highly rated (top 100 vs top 300). But still, I'm gonna have to see it on the field.

I never assumed anything great about Mickens last year...maybe because I place 0 validity to dawgman practice reports and instead pay attention to the reports of the beat writers.

There's only been a handful of practices so far but sounds like Ross has stood out in every practice. But yes we won't know until after a few games.

Perhaps Mickens just beat guys with his speed in HS and isn't a natural catch and run type of guy whereas it sounds like that is what Ross does best.
    Mickens is the next Jordan Polk. He'll be suddenly seniored going into 2015.

I don't have much faith in a kid who can't catch. Sure he has speed much like J.Polk did but he doesn't appear to be a WR. With Ross, Daniels, Stringfellow coming in plus Taylor back to WR. Not to mention Sark is always bringing in 4 star WR's it's now time for Mickens.

As always I hope I'm wrong on this kid would be nice to see someone in this program make a big leap for once.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

Mickens is the next Jordan Polk. He'll be suddenly seniored going into 2015.

I don't have much faith in a kid who can't catch. Sure he has speed much like J.Polk did but he doesn't appear to be a WR. With Ross, Daniels, Stringfellow coming in plus Taylor back to WR. Not to mention Sark is always bringing in 4 star WR's it's now time for Mickens.

As always I hope I'm wrong on this kid would be nice to see someone in this program make a big leap for once.

Next Jordan Polk??? Mickens had 20 catches despite the drops in his frosh year. Polk didn't have 20 catches in 3 years.

And once again you claim no one has developed in this program.

How do you see your screen with all the shit piled up from your keyboard?