Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

dez bryant

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,601
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
Standard Supporter
edited January 2015 in NFL Talk
Caught that ball...he secured it, switched hands with the ball to lunge for the goal line

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    It's a fucktarded rule.

Cost me a fantasy football playoff spot on the famous Calvin Johnson "drop" (self $75k).

I hate it. But they called it correctly based on the fucked up rule.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tried to make the hero play, dropped the ball.

Green Bay would have won anyway.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    If you can't see that Dez made that catch, then you should go have a heart to heart talk with @GrandpaSankey‌
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

If you can't see that Dez made that catch, then you should go have a heart to heart talk with @GrandpaSankey‌

If you can't see that Dez put the ball on the ground prior to completing the process of a catch, you deserve #Owen16.
  • Options
    And Boobs, I get the rules in how they are written. I get that with the way the rules are written the outcome was what it was. I'm also saying that the rule is more FS than Miley Cyrus' throwing motion and if your common sense can't see that Dez made that catch then I can't help you.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:
    He's already falling to the ground on the 2nd step. Case closed.

I agree that the rule is absolutely fucktarded. I just have no idea how to make the rule better.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Why can't one fall to the ground while making a football move? These are million dollar athletes. Let the fuckers entertain.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

And Boobs, I get the rules in how they are written. I get that with the way the rules are written the outcome was what it was. I'm also saying that the rule is more FS than Miley Cyrus' throwing motion and if your common sense can't see that Dez made that catch then I can't help you.

Whoa whoa whoa.. I agree with you, on all of this, but nothing is more FS than Miley Cylies throwing motion
  • Options
    I get the rule ... I don't even disagree with the rule when it comes to an immediate act of tackling someone after the catch.

But in this case, the player took 3 steps, changed hands in which he was holding the football to protect it from the defender (which I absolutely consider a football move), and tried to stretch the football to the goal line (again, another play that I consider a football play). Where does the line stop between being part of the act of making the catch versus the ground causing the fumble?

NFL officials are very good normally with interpreting the rule. The official that made the original call was in GREAT position to make the call and apply judgment regarding whether or not he completed a catch and made a football play or not.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    That was a catch. That rule is stupid.
  • Options
    drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:
    He's already falling to the ground on the 2nd step. Case closed.

I agree that the rule is absolutely fucktarded. I just have no idea how to make the rule better.
    The rule should be having control of the ball in the field of play.
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Live by refball, die by refball.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

I get the rule ... I don't even disagree with the rule when it comes to an immediate act of tackling someone after the catch.

But in this case, the player took 3 steps, changed hands in which he was holding the football to protect it from the defender (which I absolutely consider a football move), and tried to stretch the football to the goal line (again, another play that I consider a football play). Where does the line stop between being part of the act of making the catch versus the ground causing the fumble?

NFL officials are very good normally with interpreting the rule. The official that made the original call was in GREAT position to make the call and apply judgment regarding whether or not he completed a catch and made a football play or not.

He was falling as soon as he caught it. Those "steps" he took were momentum falling steps. He didn't catchthe ball, take 3 steps, then trip.

Stupid rule, right call, case closed.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,601
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    So when a receiver catches a ball on the sidline with two feet in barely then falls to the ground, where is the football move in that?
    I probably don't understand the rule.

• Options
    drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

He was falling as soon as he caught it. Those "steps" he took were momentum falling steps. He didn't catchthe ball, take 3 steps, then trip.

Right, steps don't matter, even five, see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkqkHZ1oWIw
  • Options
    It should be a catch 100%. Rule needs to be changed. It has however been consistently called the past few years and by the rule book was the correct call by definition.

99.999999999% of people think that should be a catch and the NFL needs to change that rule as soon as they possibly can.
  • Options
    LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,628
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Did the ball touch the ground? Did he complete the catch? Fuck I don't even know what rule he broke...
  • Options

Tequilla said:

The reason he was falling was because the defender fell in his path trying to break up the pass. There's no way in the world that he was trying to make a tackle with the way that he was flailing away.

If you really want to be anal on this kind of stuff, you could say that any catch by a receiver in some way eventually leads to him going to the ground.

It's a stupid rule as it is currently created. I'm all for the instantaneous hit or the guy dragging 2 toes to stay in bounds and if the ball hits the ground or pops loose after hitting the ball that that isn't a catch. But when someone takes 3 steps (like Dez) or 5 steps (like in the UW picture above), that's control at some point.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

The reason he was falling was because the defender fell in his path trying to break up the pass. There's no way in the world that he was trying to make a tackle with the way that he was flailing away.

If you really want to be anal on this kind of stuff, you could say that any catch by a receiver in some way eventually leads to him going to the ground.

It's a stupid rule as it is currently created. I'm all for the instantaneous hit or the guy dragging 2 toes to stay in bounds and if the ball hits the ground or pops loose after hitting the ball that that isn't a catch. But when someone takes 3 steps (like Dez) or 5 steps (like in the UW picture above), that's control at some point.
    The rule states that the receiver may or may not be influenced by the defender so that point is moot.