Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Wilson to become NFL's highest paid QB?

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
LOL at the 12's who thought Wilson would be taking less money cause he loves the team.

Not sure how I feel about this. Obviously you have to resign him, but if the rumors are true, that seems excessive. I think Wilson's damn good, but he's clearly not the best QB in the league. Will be interesting to see what the actual numbers are.

Link

Comments

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

LOL at the 12's who thought Wilson would be taking less money cause he loves the team.

Not sure how I feel about this. Obviously you have to resign him, but if the rumors are true, that seems excessive. I think Wilson's damn good, but he's clearly not the best QB in the league. Will be interesting to see what the actual numbers are.

Link

So, what you're saying is that he's merely a game manager?

#nottryingtotwist
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    He deserves top 5-7 money. That's it.
  • Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    All but guaranteed to be an incentive laden deal.
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

What he deserves and what he will ultimately command are two different things.
    You are either pay him or let him walk, which would be incredibly stupid.
    He'll only be the highest paid qb until the next top 10 qb gets his contract

I agree with this.

Honestly I think you could argue for him to have top 3-5 money. I'm taking Rodgers, Manning, Brady and Luck ahead of him, and that's probably it at this point. And obviously going forward Manning and Brady won't be around much longer.

But yes, Wilson will only be the highest paid until Luck can renegotiate his deal.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

All but guaranteed to be an incentive laden deal.

See Kaepernick, Colin for how this contract will likely be structured.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

What he deserves and what he will ultimately command are two different things.
    You are either pay him or let him walk, which would be incredibly stupid.
    He'll only be the highest paid qb until the next top 10 qb gets his contract

This. The cap is going up and in a few years, it probably won't be such a burden. Lock Wilson up to a long term deal. In the future, he maybe will pull a Brady and defer money etc to sign certain free agents.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    For as good as the defense is ... it's Wilson that completes the package. He understands implicitly what the strengths of the team are and plays to them. He compromises defenses like nobody else in the NFL. He's got a track record of making the needed plays when they need to be made. His streak of not losing a game by more than 1 score is beyond extraordinary.

Perhaps there are more talented QBs in the NFL, but there's not a better QB in the league for this team.

You extend him (as you have everybody else in your core) and go from there.

The reality is that the future of this team will be driven based off of how much depth they are able to build during the draft. As long as they are able to build depth on this roster such that players 40-55 are good enough to step in and go, this team will continue to be the most difficult out in the league.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options

What rumors @dnc‌?

The rumors that they are paying him that much. See the link above.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,297
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    The only QB to win the Super Bowl twice and not make the Hall of Fame is Jim Plunkett. Therefore it's quite possible we'll be calling Wilson a futer-HOFer in a few weeks. How is that not worth the biggest contract in the league at his age?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,120
    Founders Club
    Wilson is the rich man's Marques Tuiasosopo. If you remove him, our offense not only becomes average, it might become subpar.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,478
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wilson allows Seattle to spend money on defense. The O line is average as are the receivers. Wilson makes plays anyway. Would Luck win rings here?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wilson allows Seattle to spend money on defense. The O line is average as are the receivers. Wilson makes plays anyway. Would Luck win rings here?

My thoughts exactly. The only QBs i think you can switch him out for and still win a championship on this team would be Rogers and Rothlesburger. Wilson's value lies in his uncanny ability to avoid the rush, escape the pocket, and make a drive extending play with his arm or legs.

Brady crumbles when he gets hit, he would probably lose on this team.
    Peyton crumbles in the clutch and would have the worst weapons surrounding him in his career, probably loses one on this team.
    Luck hasn't proven enough when it matters, although his team is pretty weaponless as well. He needs to make the SB and then I might add him to the list, as of today I wouldn't swap him for Wilson.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Luck is pretty mobile and hard to brig down. I think he would do well anywhere. He's never had a good RB or OL with the Colts.

Race is right though. Wilson allows Seattle to spend money on the defense. The OL sucks and the receivers are average.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Never believe an agent's per-negotiation press release.