Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

And Kim wonders why the students don't come to the games

Comments

• Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

I agree that NWG isn't particularly a great defender or fast, but he's not a terrible defender. We sometimes confuse creating turnovers as a sign of great defense compared to just staying in front of your guy, moving him where you want him to go, and putting a hand up to contest a shot as a sign of good defense.

I disagree that the IQ of this team is below the floor. This is a team that to me actually understands what they are and aren't good at. They tend to play to their strengths.

Lol - staying in front of your guy he isn't good at, because he couldn't beat Stephen Hawking in a foot race. Just trying to stay in front and put a hand up is good defense...for a middle school girl. At this level it takes athleticism to be a good defender. If you want to argue that he plays defense as well as he's capable of, I'm fine with that assessment, but he's a terrible defender for the sport he plays on the floor. He could probably stay with dome 3's, but he's way to slow footed to defend college 1's and 2's.

As for the IQ, that's just nuts. The offense consists of NWG and AA jacking up the majority of the shots. After Winters and DJ, who never really play, they shoot the worst percentage on the team.

• Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

I agree that NWG isn't particularly a great defender or fast, but he's not a terrible defender. We sometimes confuse creating turnovers as a sign of great defense compared to just staying in front of your guy, moving him where you want him to go, and putting a hand up to contest a shot as a sign of good defense.

I disagree that the IQ of this team is below the floor. This is a team that to me actually understands what they are and aren't good at. They tend to play to their strengths.

Lol - staying in front of your guy he isn't good at, because he couldn't beat Stephen Hawking in a foot race. Just trying to stay in front and put a hand up is good defense...for a middle school girl. At this level it takes athleticism to be a good defender. If you want to argue that he plays defense as well as he's capable of, I'm fine with that assessment, but he's a terrible defender for the sport he plays on the floor. He could probably stay with dome 3's, but he's way to slow footed to defend college 1's and 2's.

As for the IQ, that's just nuts. The offense consists of NWG and AA jacking up the majority of the shots. After Winters and DJ, who never really play, they shoot the worst percentage on the team.

Well, we won't have to worry about NWG next year, as he's a sure-fire draft pick. At least that's what my sources have been telling me. Real cerebral, crafty, shifty, etc. Tough to find slow, unathletic PGs with that type of BB IQ for the NBA these days.

And AA graduates this year. It ever there were an example of "addition by subtraction," this is it.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

Well, we won't have to worry about NWG next year, as he's a sure-fire draft pick. At least that's what my sources have been telling me. Real cerebral, crafty, shifty, etc. Tough to find slow, unathletic PGs with that type of BB IQ for the NBA these days.

And AA graduates this year. It ever there were an example of "addition by subtraction," this is it.
    While I could see how you might that mistake, Tyrone Willingham doesn't coach this team. Unless AA is going to be suddenly seniored, he will be back next year.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2014
    NWG and the NBA is a debate, but pretending he isn't a good college guard is FS. I would bet any amount he makes the All Conference team.
  • Options
    As far as guards go, Wright, Randle, Wallace, and Young have played better this year and you've also got guys like Booker and Lacy putting up big numbers on disappointing teams. Unless you are talking honorable mention, that would be a stupid bet.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223

NWG and the NBA is a debate, but pretending he isn't a good college guard is FS. I would bet any amount he makes the All Conference team.

NWG will have to play the role of charlie ward in the nba and that is being generous as ward was a very good athlete. He is a very very good college guard, but the thought he'll be an instant success or easy pick in the nba is FS. Every draft board doesn't even have him going in the top 2 rounds, let alone making a team.

Keep in mind NWG is shooting under 30% from 3 this year. People are trying to argue that he'll be a first round pick while not shooting well, slower footwork and lack of lateral quickness? It's going to be an uphill battle.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

As far as guards go, Wright, Randle, Wallace, and Young have played better this year and you've also got guys like Booker and Lacy putting up big numbers on disappointing teams. Unless you are talking honorable mention, that would be a stupid bet.

Wright is better. The rest is iffy. 10 spots on the first team. NWG will get one.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2014
    HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

I've been an Andrews hater since long before it was cool (axe @freechavez), but he's a junior this year. No addition by subtraction there, unless you're suggesting he gets suddenly seniored, which wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Edit: Fuck, @seveneleven beat me to the joke.
  • Options
    dnc said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

I've been an Andrews hater since long before it was cool (axe @freechavez), but he's a junior this year. No addition by subtraction there, unless you're suggesting he gets suddenly seniored, which wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Wait, a shooting/PG with a 41%/30% ratio in his career is hard to fill in? Maybe the 1.2/1 assist/TO ratio is the killer?

Dear lord AA is maddening how good he appears he could be, vs what his stat line actually shows.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

Wait, a shooting/PG with a 41%/30% ratio in his career is hard to fill in? Maybe the 1.2/1 assist/TO ratio is the killer?

Dear lord AA is maddening how good he appears he could be, vs what his stat line actually shows.
    I don't think he could be much better than he's shown. Andrews isn't really good at anything. He can't pass, he's an average shooter, and he makes poor decisions. He will have some good games and moments, but I don't think he's all that talented.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

dnc said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

I don't think he could be much better than he's shown. Andrews isn't really good at anything. He can't pass, he's an average shooter, and he makes poor decisions. He will have some good games and moments, but I don't think he's all that talented.
    but if we're being honest and looking at his mechanics he should be a much better player. He can dribble, he has great form on his shot(minus his falling back on 15' shots). At this point he should be making much better decisions with the ball. That's why he's maddening. He looks so much better than he actually plays
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,913
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

AA won't be suddenly seniored. He'll be Joel Smith's/ Desmond Simmon'd. He'll graduate and transfer to somewhere like Portland State to play for a year. He'll hope that he can put up enough offense in a crap conference for a year that he might get some pro (probably overseas) attention.
  • Options
    Why would he leave? Romar let's him jack up all the shots he wants right here
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,865
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    You have to win for a while, plus the increasingly out of state and continent students can't borrow mom's Camry for the six mile trek from Bellevue during break.

If they're 12-4 in the league and playing an important gayme, people will show up.
  • Options

dnc said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

AA won't be suddenly seniored. He'll be Joel Smith's/ Desmond Simmon'd. He'll graduate and transfer to somewhere like Portland State to play for a year. He'll hope that he can put up enough offense in a crap conference for a year that he might get some pro (probably overseas) attention.
    The difference is that I think romar likes AA. He has played AA through 3 seasons of shooting in the low 30% range for a PG/SG. Obviously he likes what he brings to the table. I think AA could play a great role off the bench as a spark plug and also a solid FT shooter at the end of games. That being said, he has no business being a starter if this team goes to the next level.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AA will be a starter the rest of his career. Accept it and move on.
  • Options

I hate to upvote this but it's likely true.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015

Only way it's not is if NWG comes back. Even then, AA probably starts at the 2, Murray at 3 unless DJ or Dorsey drastically improves.

I shudder at the thought of AA and Crisp being the PG's next year.
  • Options

Only way it's not is if NWG comes back. Even then, AA probably starts at the 2, Murray at 3 unless DJ or Dorsey drastically improves.

I shudder at the thought of AA and Crisp being the PG's next year.
    Um, romar doesn't have a 1, 2, 3 system!!!!

sorry, had to do it.

Crisp and AA in the backcourt = .75/1 Assist/TO ratio.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2015
    I'm pretty sure if the Huskies stay ranked all year and make a decent tournament the run, the fans (bandwagoners) will come. It's all about winning. Who cares about what style they run, the fans just want to get wasted, bring cool signs and scream together. Virginia is right up there with the most boring as fuck teams to watch play, and they don't have an attendance issue because they have been in the top 5 the past few seasons.