Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

And Kim wonders why the students don't come to the games

A poorly coached 11-0 team with boring, shitty players is still a poorly coached team with boring, shitty players.

Where does this one rank in the annals of Romar's embarrassing OOC home losses?

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Nothing about Upshaw is boring.

The rest is spot on though.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

Nothing about Upshaw is boring.

The rest is spot on though.

The team isn't boring, the style has improved significantly from the last two years. Granted they're not particularly good or particularly well coached.

But none of that explains the students not coming. The vast majority of 19-20 year olds don't know enough to recognize that the team isn't that well coached. That is not why they're not coming. The student attendance issues have much more to do with the fucktarded athletic department marketing/rules/prices than anything to do with what's going on on the court.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,912
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options

Shit reply

Awesome'd because you made me lol. But you're still FS if you think coaching is why students aren't coming to the games.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

Shit reply

Awesome'd because you made me lol. But you're still FS if you think coaching is why students aren't coming to the games.
    It's not the coaching.....directly. It's the boring and stupid brand of basketball put forth by that coaching.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

Shit reply

It's not the coaching.....directly. It's the boring and stupid brand of basketball put forth by that coaching.
    I guess I just disagree that it's a boring brand of basketball. The last two years, definitely. This year we've seen much more aggressive perimeter defense and fast breaks. It's almost assuredly because the guards know they have the eraser back there to save them if they let someone get by, but whatever the reason this team isn't half as boring to me as the first two years of the high poast.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    1 fucking game people.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,912
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

Shit reply

Bingo. And I have hope that with the change in recruiting, the current slate (the last 4 years) can be erased and UW/Romar basketball can start over again. The guys we have coming in are exciting prospects. Andrew Andrews, Jernard Jurreau, Quevyn WInters, Jahmel Taylor, Gilles Dierxxx, Martin Bruenig, Shawn Kemp Jr., Aziz Ndiaye, etc. These guys were all fallback plans and projects. When you have a team full of fallback plans and projects you have crappy basketball, unless you have a great coach, which we don't.

I have hope with Murray, Crisp, Thybule, and the other guys coming in.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2014
    dnc said:

HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

Shit reply

I guess I just disagree that it's a boring brand of basketball. The last two years, definitely. This year we've seen much more aggressive perimeter defense and fast breaks. It's almost assuredly because the guards know they have the eraser back there to save them if they let someone get by, but whatever the reason this team isn't half as boring to me as the first two years of the high poast.
    If you've got the eraser around the basket, how come our guards leave wide open 3 pointers for our opponents' guards?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

Shit reply

Bingo. And I have hope that with the change in recruiting, the current slate (the last 4 years) can be erased and UW/Romar basketball can start over again. The guys we have coming in are exciting prospects. Andrew Andrews, Jernard Jurreau, Quevyn WInters, Jahmel Taylor, Gilles Dierxxx, Martin Bruenig, Shawn Kemp Jr., Aziz Ndiaye, etc. These guys were all fallback plans and projects. When you have a team full of fallback plans and projects you have crappy basketball, unless you have a great coach, which we don't.

I have hope with Murray, Crisp, Thybule, and the other guys coming in.
    So you're saying Romar_Needs_More_Time?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

Shit reply

So you're saying that most college kids aren't smart enough to know what good or bad coaching is but then say that this team isn't playing a boring brand of basketball because they play aggressive perimeter defense.

I've seen us play 2x now in person - which is more than I normally watch in person during the year. I appreciate this team because of how they are able to grind it out and take advantage of what they can do well and minimize what they don't do well.

But let's be honest, this isn't an exciting team to watch at all. They really struggle to score the ball. As a defensive first team, they aren't going to be a team that lives in transition. With the exception of Upshaw, this isn't a team that is going to play above the rim. They really don't have a lot of slashers that get to the rim (most people don't really appreciate the mid-range game that NWG has).

You, me, and many of the basketball watchers on this board appreciate 30 seconds of good defense and a contested shot. But college kids aren't amused by that. They are amused by that when the rebound leads to a fast break going the other way and a dunk.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

Shit reply

So you're saying that most college kids aren't smart enough to know what good or bad coaching is but then say that this team isn't playing a boring brand of basketball because they play aggressive perimeter defense.

I've seen us play 2x now in person - which is more than I normally watch in person during the year. I appreciate this team because of how they are able to grind it out and take advantage of what they can do well and minimize what they don't do well.

But let's be honest, this isn't an exciting team to watch at all. They really struggle to score the ball. As a defensive first team, they aren't going to be a team that lives in transition. With the exception of Upshaw, this isn't a team that is going to play above the rim. They really don't have a lot of slashers that get to the rim (most people don't really appreciate the mid-range game that NWG has).

You, me, and many of the basketball watchers on this board appreciate 30 seconds of good defense and a contested shot. But college kids aren't amused by that. They are amused by that when the rebound leads to a fast break going the other way and a dunk.
    Fair poont.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    7-11 makes a number of solid points ... but I do think that you tend to go just a bit too far on some of them.

I agree that NWG isn't particularly a great defender or fast, but he's not a terrible defender. We sometimes confuse creating turnovers as a sign of great defense compared to just staying in front of your guy, moving him where you want him to go, and putting a hand up to contest a shot as a sign of good defense.

AA is the definition of irrational confidence. He can shoot you in and out of games. He's maddening, but given the way this team is comprised, it's actually not a bad guy to have on this team.

The bigs don't necessarily rebound as well as you would like them to, but the guards rebound a little better than most guards so it evens out. As long as the bigs are boxing out and taking care of their guys it isn't terrible.

I disagree that the IQ of this team is below the floor. This is a team that to me actually understands what they are and aren't good at. They tend to play to their strengths.

In the games that I've watched, we're a better defensive team than you are giving credit for. Oklahoma is a really good offensive team and they really struggled to score. Their best offense was putting Upshaw in pick and pop situations and pulling him away from the basket making him move his feet.

This is a 7-10 seed in the tournament, probably wins their first game because of how they play defense, and then will be a difficult, but in the end not that tough of an out for a 1, 2, or 3 seed provided that they show up and match intensity.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I didn't watch the game today, but UW blew a 15 point lead. They got content, the other team started hitting shots, and they lost. The team isn't good enough to just show up. We'll see if it's a trend, but as of right now, it's one shitty game. Win the next two and this is basically forgotten. Even a split next weekend wouldn't be a total disaster.

Everyone would have taken 11-1 before the year. I would love to have higher expectations, but this team was predicted to suck. Everyone knows this is not a championship team and they have limitations. I will be happy with a tournament appearance this year.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nobody came to this game because it was against Stoney Brook during Christmas Break. A hot start in conference play and the fans will come back.

There are tons of reasons for the declining attendance. A couple years of shitty basketball is the biggest. Start winning and they come. Pretty basic shit.

Digging deeper, I think not having players from Washington also hurts. NWG is from Portland, Upshaw from Fresno. There isn't one local player in the starting line up and Dorsey is the only one who gets any minutes. And let's be honest, a kid from Olympia is different than a kid from Seattle or Tacoma (besides Gaddy).

I don't buy that fans come for the style of play. UConn and other teams in the former Big East were really fucking boring to watch, but they have staunch supporters. UW isn't a basketball school, so crowds will only come if they are good.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If only romar had a contract extension