Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Alex Akita is a UW Bball authority

LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club

Comments

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited December 2014
    WTF me for linking to scout
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Jeebus...

How much fluff is in that?
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Way too much fluff, but rallying the old dawgpack guard is awesome and deserves praise. Nice work Alex and everyone else.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited December 2014
    Why do F3 and Griswold suck this guy off as if he's some kind of innovative genius? I was a freshman Romar's first year and I went to every game even when we lost to Montana fucking State and there were 20 people in the Dawg Pack. Romar had to go to Fijis and beg people to go to the games. They had to give out free catered dinner so students would show up. I was raised to be a big Husky hoops fan. Big fucking deal. Then they started winning and more people came. They've sucked recently and people have stopped coming. Pretty simple concept, actually.

I don't know who this Akita is but he sounds like a douche who takes himself way too seriously
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I saw that article as well ... two of KJV and the LPT's favorite topics:

1) the importance of the Dawg Pack

2) sucking off Alex Akita
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Why do F3 and Griswold suck this guy off as if he's some kind of innovative genius? I was a freshman Romar's first year and I went to every game even when we lost to Montana fucking State and there were 20 people in the Dawg Pack. Romar had to go to Fijis and beg people to go to the games. They had to give out free catered dinner so students would show up. I was raised to be a big Husky hoops fan. Big fucking deal. Then they started winning and more people came. They've sucked recently and people have stopped coming. Pretty simple concept, actually.

I don't know who this Akita is but he sounds like a douche who takes himself way too seriously

Fuck Akita, it was the guys before him that started going to games before the team got better. Dug, your frosh season was when things started to take off. It was at the end of the season though. I remember the USC game, a local high school coach and I decided to go sit in the booster seats under the fucking basket. No one was sitting there! USC got out to like a 20-2 lead but UW came back and won. Place was fucking empty.

However, (and I just checked the old schedule) I vividly remember the Stanford game, Arizona game and Oregon game which were later in the season. The Stanford game the dawg pack was full and some fans were sitting like 5 rows behind Stanfords bench and just yelling and taunting Stanford's guys and they were getting flustered and had a really bad game. We almost upset Arizona later in the year (who was #2 at the time) and by that point it was pretty obvious that UW BBall was going to take off. From that point forward the student section was full every game. Granted, a year and two years later you had to get there really fucking early but the place was just as loud at the end of the 02-03 season then the following seasons.

This "it took a while to get going" is fucking bullshit. It happened suddenly and sometime in the middle of the 02-03 season. It was a young team with a bunch of local guys that showed flashes and was exciting to watch. That's why there was student interest before they went on that big winning streak a year later.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Akita is the worst, that is all.
  • Options
    If I was content to not make much money, I could put together a Seattle sports blog that would blow Akita out of the fucking water.

Problem is that I'd be taking a massive pay cut to do that.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

If I was content to not make much money, I could put together a Seattle sports blog that would blow Akita out of the fucking water.

Problem is that I'd be taking a massive pay cut to do that.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,504
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Horrible presentation, over-analysis of the mediocre M's, seahawks shit talking, and a film review of D3: The Mighty Ducks. Great site.
  • Options
    haie said:

Horrible presentation, over-analysis of the mediocre M's, seahawks shit talking, and a film review of D3: The Mighty Ducks. Great site.

Trying t be the Asian Simmons of the hipster generation
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    Gladstone said:

Way too much fluff, but rallying the old dawgpack guard is awesome and deserves praise. Nice work Alex and everyone else.

If there is one thing I know, it's that the targeted demographic of potential DawgPack members definitely reads Scout.com Fatters articles.

I'll wait until DawgNews, PurpleDawgFan, AuburnDawg and Taft weigh in before I make a decision though.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223

This was tequila long article for " if the team is good the dawg pack shows up." The whole premise of this article is the return of the dawgpack as if gano or Akita somehow were the gasoline. Um, it's called winning and putting interesting players and gameplan to watch on the floor. Gano hasn't been able to rile up fans to attend this year till game 15??? Great poont

I gotta say, really enjoyed the part where Alex tosses in skipping class after the zona game and the very next section mentioning being responsible and going to class. Nice work gents.

• Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    Tequilla said:

I'm sure there is a round of back slapping over at dm for the admirable efforts of the dawgpack. By no means will anyone deny a full house can effect a game. But to act as if these two have anything to do with it is downright laughable. Gano probably also"hosts" recruits as well
  • Options

Tequilla said:

I'm sure there is a round of back slapping over at dm for the admirable efforts of the dawgpack. By no means will anyone deny a full house can effect a game. But to act as if these two have anything to do with it is downright laughable. Gano probably also"hosts" recruits as well
    What a novel idea ... offer free tickets and people show up.

If they want to know why people aren't showing up to UW hoops games, it's because the price of the tickets are way too high.

As for "hosting" recruits, well ...

And Akita is a fucking idiot ... he acts like he is a somebody when he really doesn't have a fucking clue.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

What a novel idea ... offer free tickets and people show up.

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
    The difference in the dawgpack last game was staggering. From 12 people to full capacity. That's impressive and we'll need showings like that in conference. I knew Akita at UW and he wasn't always a weird Kim-esque sycophant. His blog is dumb and his pro-Sarkisian comments the last two years forever damned him.

I'm just happy the pack is showing up. And I don't just think it's winning that turned it around so fast. I was contacted several times on FB and LinkedIn by old pack members telling me that admission would be free for old members.

Also, he's right about the type of students at UW now compared to just 10 years ago when we were there. The fobby international kids don't give two shits about basketball. Local h.s. kids who plaed or were into sports and had GPAs in the 3.6-3.8 range don't get into UW anymore.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2014
    Gladstone said:

The difference in the dawgpack last game was staggering. From 12 people to full capacity. That's impressive and we'll need showings like that in conference. I knew Akita at UW and he wasn't always a weird Kim-esque sycophant. His blog is dumb and his pro-Sarkisian comments the last two years forever damned him.

I'm just happy the pack is showing up. And I don't just think it's winning that turned it around so fast. I was contacted several times on FB and LinkedIn by old pack members telling me that admission would be free for old members.

Also, he's right about the type of students at UW now compared to just 10 years ago when we were there. The fobby international kids don't give two shits about basketball. Local h.s. kids who plaed or were into sports and had GPAs in the 3.6-3.8 range don't get into UW anymore.

The geeks and Asians at UW don't give a shit about sports. Or getting drunk. The student section looks like the revenge of the nerds.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

This part is 100% true ...

The only part of the story that rang true to me at all was about how getting a game at the IMA (particularly on a Friday) in the past was a 45+ minute wait and the quality of play was strong. Today, there's hardly ever a wait the 1-2x per year that I show up to play and it's hardly worth the time or money to go down there.

IMO, the UW needs to get back to making sure that they are bringing in the best/brightest of the local students into the UW. As the Seattle market continues to grow going forward, part of the buy-in from the local companies will also be tied into how their kids are able to get into the UW.