Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Dick Baird opines on the TUFF schedule

Comments

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    the fact that the "voices of Husky football" now refer to teams like Arizona and Stanford as muderer's row is exactly why I would never drop DirecTV to access the Pac12 Network.

Yes, Stanford is now amazing but it wasn't long ago they were the laughing stock of football and somehow they put a priority on football yet with our history, we're relegated to Emmert's simplistic front porch rhetoric.

Watching College Football Live yesterday, Tom Luginbill talked about Colorado being a program where the university administrators and leaders simply don't get it when it comes to football and thus the Buffs shouldn't even be in the Pac12.
  • pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    It'll be better next year. Let it play out.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

Meek said:

the fact that the "voices of Husky football" now refer to teams like Arizona and Stanford as muderer's row is exactly why I would never drop DirecTV to access the Pac12 Network.

Yes, Stanford is now amazing but it wasn't long ago they were the laughing stock of football and somehow they put a priority on football yet with our history, we're relegated to Emmert's simplistic front porch rhetoric.

Watching College Football Live yesterday, Tom Luginbill talked about Colorado being a program where the university administrators and leaders simply don't get it when it comes to football and thus the Buffs shouldn't even be in the Pac12.

A lot of parallels between UW and CU over the last 25 years.
    Right down to the black unis with gold helmets.

We are Ralphie.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,441 Founders Club
    tracker said:

PurpleJ said:

"Although the pre-season has a balance of one really good “A” caliber team (Boise State), one Big Ten “B level” team (Illinois, a 2-10 team last season), and one lower division “C” opponent, (Idaho State), they will be played in that order. Ideally you would want to play in reverse order and progressively improve along with the level of your opponent."

I stopped reading there.

Bairds been using this FS talking point for years. Oh having to play a good team your first game is so hard, except that your opponent is in the exact same position. There is no advantage gained by playing Boise in the third game if they also get to play two games before it. It only makes sense if you are incapable of thinking.

And calling Boise an A game and Illinois a B game. Christ. UW is playing a B-F-F ooc schedule.
    To be fair, it's a B-C-F schedule. Illinois is a BCS conference team after all.
    Kind of makes me wonder what other teams think about playing Washington.

Are we a B or C game?

Fuck.
    I think people view us as a Utah
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

tracker said:

PurpleJ said:

"Although the pre-season has a balance of one really good “A” caliber team (Boise State), one Big Ten “B level” team (Illinois, a 2-10 team last season), and one lower division “C” opponent, (Idaho State), they will be played in that order. Ideally you would want to play in reverse order and progressively improve along with the level of your opponent."

I stopped reading there.

Bairds been using this FS talking point for years. Oh having to play a good team your first game is so hard, except that your opponent is in the exact same position. There is no advantage gained by playing Boise in the third game if they also get to play two games before it. It only makes sense if you are incapable of thinking.

And calling Boise an A game and Illinois a B game. Christ. UW is playing a B-F-F ooc schedule.

Are we a B or C game?

Fuck.
    I don't think people view us as being as bad are we really are. I've seen two articles on USC that pointed out the fact that USC doesn't have to play UW and Oregon as a benefit to their schedule. Oregon is understandable, UW not so much.

Then again, we did only receive 3 votes in the coaches poll, so the perception can't be too high.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,441 Founders Club

tracker said:

PurpleJ said:

I stopped reading there.

Are we a B or C game?

Fuck.
    I don't think people view us as being as bad are we really are. I've seen two articles on USC that pointed out the fact that USC doesn't have to play UW and Oregon as a benefit to their schedule. Oregon is understandable, UW not so much.

Then again, we did only receive 3 votes in the coaches poll, so the perception can't be too high.

Those two articles were probably written by people old enough to remember 1991
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

Arizona at home is considered "Murderer's row" ??? My god has our program falling to shit if that is the case.

This dates back to Ty but I've always hated the "TUFF! Schedule" excuse when Doogs list our conference opponents.

I hate to break it to you guys but we play these guys every year so instead of bitching how tough they are how about demanding our University up the ante and surpass these fucks.

Bingo More-time
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    PurpleJ said:

I stopped reading there.

Is Idaho State's "C" classification for cupcake or cunt? "Ideally" goes south whenever the Big Sky is scheduled OOC.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Washington is a B.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

I too laughed at referring to BSU, Illinois and Idaho State as an ABC schedule. The only saving grace is the road trip to Chicago.

Illinois is a B game. Its a fucking Big10 team. I know they have more talent than WSU (who beat us) 2-10 or not! Scheelhasse has been their 5 years, and is a legit duel threat senior qb compared to Price, who is more of a 1/2 threat qb
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2013

tracker said:

PurpleJ said:

I stopped reading there.

Are we a B or C game?

Fuck.

Those two articles were probably written by people old enough to remember 1991
    I think our tradition along with Sark's politician act makes some outside members of the media believe we are better than we actually are.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    Passion said:

dick "coaches-should-never-get-fired" baird? The guy has absolutely Z-E-R-O credibility. An ex-coach? Sure, but he has ruined his good name with the constant excuses and pandering over the past decade plus. I want to urinate in his bourbon.

Not to mention he actually had the audacity to scrap with me on air. What gall.

He drives the bandwagon for the "we can't fire sark we've had too much coaching turnover already." and "we need to stop firing coaches"
    He needs to realize this argument has 0 credibility. Over the last 10 years we've fired Rick, Gilby, and TY. So in his opinion, firing coaches caused our downfall, not the quality of coaches. Last year he was advocating for us to leep Holt. my god imagine our record if he was still on our staff last year.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

I too laughed at referring to BSU, Illinois and Idaho State as an ABC schedule. The only saving grace is the road trip to Chicago.

Illinois is a B game. Its a fucking Big10 team. I know they have more talent than WSU (who beat us) 2-10 or not! Scheelhasse has been their 5 years, and is a legit duel threat senior qb compared to Price, who is more of a 1/2 threat qb
    Fucking dreckfest from the B1G is a C. That conference is Ohio State and a whole lot of dwarves.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    dhdawg said:

Passion said:

dick "coaches-should-never-get-fired" baird? The guy has absolutely Z-E-R-O credibility. An ex-coach? Sure, but he has ruined his good name with the constant excuses and pandering over the past decade plus. I want to urinate in his bourbon.

He drives the bandwagon for the "we can't fire sark we've had too much coaching turnover already." and "we need to stop firing coaches"
    He needs to realize this argument has 0 credibility. Over the last 10 years we've fired Rick, Gilby, and TY. So in his opinion, firing coaches caused our downfall, not the quality of coaches. Last year he was advocating for us to leep Holt. my god imagine our record if he was still on our staff last year.
    He cannot cite causation
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Its already been covered Illinois is a C game

Illinois would have lost to WSU last year...

Western Michigan - W 24-7
    @ASU - L 45-14
    Charleston Southern University - W 44-0
    Louisiana Tech - L 52-24
    Penn St. - L 35-7
    @Wisconsin - L 31-14
    @Michigan - L 45-0
    Indiana - L 31-17
    @Ohio st. - L 31-17
    Minnesota - L 17-3
    Purdue - L 20-17
    @Northwestern - L 50-14

They were 111th in passing yards, 99th in rushing yards, 122nd in points for, and 95th in points against

Out of their 10 losses they were competitive in one of them, they never lead at halftime for any of the losses.

• TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

That was a friggin disappointing season. Beating Ohio State and Miami in OOC games in the same season back then meant you had enough talent to compete for a conference title. Losing to USC always sucks, but it was downright embarrassing to lose to Oregon, Stanford and the Cougs that year. That was a clear sign that a change at the top would be needed.

All (4) of Lambo's losses in 1994 were on the road which made the Whammy In Miami even more surprising. Halfbright had staff hiring problems, especially on offense, and I always believed that was because he only ever was a longtime assistant at UW and never got around enough in his coaching career to know who or where the good assistant coaching talent could be found. His staff had a Pacific NW bias with mostly former coogs and vandals if they weren't Huskies and of course, he didn't have a football knowledgeable AD in Hedges to help him with the staffing. This sounds kind of familiar except that Sark had much less experience as an assistant and coordinator before getting the UW job.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

That was a friggin disappointing season. Beating Ohio State and Miami in OOC games in the same season back then meant you had enough talent to compete for a conference title. Losing to USC always sucks, but it was downright embarrassing to lose to Oregon, Stanford and the Cougs that year. That was a clear sign that a change at the top would be needed.

Lambright should have been fired on the 50 yard line at the end of the Apple Cup Oregon game.
    I had always believed in Lambright until the Oregon game.

Damn that year sucked after beating Miami in Miami I thought that team was headed towards a 10-1 season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    dhdawg said:

Passion said:

Last year he was advocating for us to leep Holt. my god imagine our record if he was still on our staff last year.
    I'm guessing we'd be 7-6.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,542 Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

I stopped reading there.

Lambright should have been fired on the 50 yard line at the end of the Apple Cup Oregon game.
    I had always believed in Lambright until the Oregon game.

Damn that year sucked after beating Miami in Miami I thought
    that team was headed towards a 10-1 season.

10-1? I don't know about that. WHOREgon (lol) did end up making the Rose Bowl that yr., and the Kooks made a bowl game as well. There wasn't top ten talent on that team. 9-2 would've been a very good year, and 8-3 seems about right.

'97 was the Lambo team that pissed me off. Going from a number 2 ranking to losing to Ryan Leaf and the Coogs to end up 7-4 made me want him fired.