Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UNLV hires HS coach

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't know anything about the coach, but I like the move. UNLV is a shit school that has had two winning seasons since 2000. Thinking outside the box should be applauded. The worst that can happen is the coach sucks and your fire him in three years. That is probably what would have happened making a conventional hire. You might as well take a risk.

I don't like the move because it's based on cronyism, not objectively good coaching

The Fertita brothers (UFC founders, big time Vegas promoters) are tied in with Sanchez. They built Fertita stadium at Gorman HS. Their kid plays for Gorman HS, he's an ND committ and I assume he may flip to unlv now. They are (have?) going to give a lot of money to UNLV and my guess is that they propped up Sanchez as their guy.

Gorman was the #1 team in the country this year, but they hold an overwhelming talent advantage due to resource and recruiting in Vegas which is really the reason for their dominance in Nevada.

I don't think Sanchez success is based on the same situation as Briles or Malzahns coming out of HS. As such, I don't see him succeeding at UNLV
    I know the UFC guys were part of the deal. Getting their money is a good thing. More money and better recruiting should set the program up for success, whether the Gorman coach has the chops or not.

It was political and I agree that a high school coach should pay their dues, but this is UNLV. They are a shitty program taking a risk that has some obvious immediate benefits.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Orgeron with the Bishop Gorman coach as an assistant would have been the smarter move. If UNLV had success, Oregeron would probably move on and the Bishop Gorman coach could take over.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Orgeron to Oregon State
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2014
    Unless Pete Carroll coached UNLV I don't think they'd pull in a lot of p12 players out of High School. Probably only the mediocre ones that typically go to Oregon State or Wazzu currently.

To really get that program off the ground I think they would need to take a lot JCs, Transfers (Stringfellow or Masoli type situations), and academic dumb fucks. The Mike Price model of recruiting.

Who gives a shit, it's Vegas.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Anu Solomon is from Bishop Gorman

Demarco Murray too.