Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

SEC bias forever

2»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Tequilla said:

Oregon would have beat TCU earlier in the year ... TCU's defense is much better now. I do think that the defensive quality is what would separate TCU in the game.

TCU's defense is what the program has been built on - particularly against the run. The program has a long history of shutting down great running attacks whether it be Adrian Peterson at Oklahoma, containing CJ Spiller in Clemson, or slowing down a very physical running attack in Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

The weakness of the TCU defense is that there is an ability to beat them over the top in the passing game. Oklahoma stayed close in the game with those kind of plays (otherwise TCU beat them about as bad as Baylor did) and Baylor's offense started turning into Petty throwing a lot of jump balls that they came down with enough of.

It's one of the reasons I really want to see TCU face Oregon is because of their ability to stop the run. Their front four is primarily asked to take up blockers to allow the LBs to penetrate and make tackles while their changing looks in the secondary always results in at least 1-2 of them flashing into the backfield to stop the run. The confusion that they create defensively often messes with offenses. Oregon's strength isn't necessarily in dropping back in the passing game and it's no secret that the route tree that Oregon runs isn't particularly diverse.

I think it would be a very good game, but I think TCU wins the game in the 38-28 or 38-31 range.

I think Oregon's D is better now than they were earlier in the year too. Their front is getting more penetration and is more stout against the run, and Smith is playing better corner now than he was early, giving them two really good players outside, which is so important and gives the D that much more flexibility.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bama has 3 Royce Freemans. And a DLine that can stop him

You beat Bama with the long ball. Good luck. Nobody does that better than Auburn
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gun to my head I'm betting Oregon. Alabama's defenses that won the NC were top 3 in D stats. This one is not in the top 10 and they gave up a lot to Auburn.

Doogs (some I know) are getting so antsy about it. Big fucking deal. We are in the best position we've been in, perhaps ever. Championship coach who will be here for 15 years. When Chip's players are gone, Helfrich will regress quite a bit.

There is nothing to be antsy about. Oregon winning a title wouldn't change anything. They have already established themselves as a national program. Canard and company are already really fucking annoying, so who cares about them having something else to brag about?
  • Options

Bama has 3 Royce Freemans. And a DLine that can stop him

You beat Bama with the long ball. Good luck. Nobody does that better than Auburn

Don't know that it's that simple. You beat Bama with the long ball when they have other things to worry about.

Oregon has athletes too. They don't have an Amari Cooper, but they have a good core of WRs, they have a big, strong, fast RB who runs like he wants to hit you, and smart, fast athletic QB who can throw the ball.

Though they are different teams, I think Oregon could present some issues for Alabama for the same reasons Auburn did. You can't just pin your ears back and do one thing.

You can laugh all you want about Mariota. The kid can play.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Are you watching what Missouri is doing with the long ball? They can't run or protect the passer but they are hitting long prayers. It's keeping them in it
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Gun to my head I'm betting Oregon. Alabama's defenses that won the NC were top 3 in D stats. This one is not in the top 10 and they gave up a lot to Auburn.

Doogs (some I know) are getting so antsy about it. Big fucking deal. We are in the best position we've been in, perhaps ever. Championship coach who will be here for 15 years. When Chip's players are gone, Helfrich will regress quite a bit.

There is nothing to be antsy about. Oregon winning a title wouldn't change anything. They have already established themselves as a national program. Canard and company are already really fucking annoying, so who cares about them having something else to brag about?
    Trust me. It will get much worse. Mosster, Greenblood, and ADuck won't be real bad but guys like Canard and Ozone layer will start to get insufferable. Granted this site is pretty sheltered, and neither of us live in the NW and have to deal with the white trash Duck bandwagon, but it will fucking suck in general. All the Scout, Rivals, 24-7 sports and whatever the fuck else sites that still exist will be really bad from there on.

If Ihad to choose, I'll choose the Bammer win. Of course FSU, TCU, Baylor, OSU>> those two
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How about some love for my man Blake Simms?
  • Options

Trust me. It will get much worse. Mosster, Greenblood, and ADuck won't be real bad but guys like Canard and Ozone layer will start to get insufferable. Granted this site is pretty sheltered, and neither of us live in the NW and have to deal with the white trash Duck bandwagon, but it will fucking suck in general. All the Scout, Rivals, 24-7 sports and whatever the fuck else sites that still exist will be really bad from there on.

If Ihad to choose, I'll choose the Bammer win. Of course FSU, TCU, Baylor, OSU>> those two
    as opposed to all the white trash SEC fans?

fans in general tend to be dip shits, wherever they are. and if you don't think Washington has its share, I've got a bond fund I'd like to sell you.

Middlebury can only admit 700 to 800 kids a year after all. the NESCAC can't ejuk8 everyone.
  • Options
    Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1

WE?

• Options

Are you watching what Missouri is doing with the long ball? They can't run or protect the passer but they are hitting long prayers. It's keeping them in it

ok, then you're saying you can beat Bamers with the long ball even when they don't have to worry about anything else. fine, you're right.

Oregon being able to throw other things at them can only help their chances.

Oregon is also very good in the middle range passing game. Their offense presents more problems than a Missouri does, or than a typical SEC team not named Auburn does.

Auburn is a decent comparison for Oregon in terms of O matching up with Bamer D, and Auburn clearly could have beaten Bamers.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited December 2014

as opposed to all the white trash SEC fans?

fans in general tend to be dip shits, wherever they are. and if you don't think Washington has its share, I've got a bond fund I'd like to sell you.

Middlebury can only admit 700 to 800 kids a year after all. the NESCAC can't ejuk8 everyone.
    True but SEC fans in general don't care about us and usually it's vice versa when the SEC isn't totally legitimately winning 654 straight NC's. Oregon is a rival OTOH.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

ok, then you're saying you can beat Bamers with the long ball even when they don't have to worry about anything else. fine, you're right.

Oregon being able to throw other things at them can only help their chances.

Oregon is also very good in the middle range passing game. Their offense presents more problems than a Missouri does, or than a typical SEC team not named Auburn does.

Auburn is a decent comparison for Oregon in terms of O matching up with Bamer D, and Auburn clearly could have beaten Bamers.
    Saban is going to lose a lot of sleep thinking about Mariota running around buying time. No question. Oregon and Auburn are very comparable on offense.

But Simms is on fire. 5 straight tds against Auburn took care of them.

It could be a great game
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Oregon beats Bammer. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see anybody shutting down Mariota.