Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

SEC bias forever

I hope SEC wins out and Bama stays at 1. I'd love to see TCU play Oregon and I think TCU wins. Not sure if anyone beats Bama yet.

Comments

• Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Oregon beats TCU rather easily. Alabama is beatable too. What makes you think they are so indestructible?

Disagree, I think TCU is Oregon with a better D. Not an apples to apples offensive comparison obviously, but just in terms of the ability to score. I know TCU collapsed late against Baylor, but overall Patterson D's are solid and with the exception of that quarter that's been true this year. TCU can absolutely score with and against Oregon.

As for Bama, I don't think they are indestructable, they are just the typical really big and physical. I can't think of a team that Oregon or TCU have played that I can compare to. That's why I'm saying I'm not sure yet. I've watched every TCU game though and most of Oregon's games and that's how I see them matching up against each other. I feel like Tequilla.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I love how posters here talk about how horrible the 2nd best team in the Pac12 is and then claim Oregon is great for beating them.

Not you Road, but a lot of the SEC bashers

Alabama had a tougher road to get here. They probably have an easier game today.

I agree Oregon looks good but so does Ohio State and everyone says they didn't play anybody

Did Oregon? I guess we'll see
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's not necessarily who Oregon has beaten, but they have gotten the plunger out in every game since the loss. Mariota has played great every week, Freeman is a beast, and Allen, Carrington, and Stanford are good WR's. The only question mark is the defense, but it has been playing pretty good the past few weeks.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

Oregon beats TCU rather easily. Alabama is beatable too. What makes you think they are so indestructible?

I think Oregon beats FSU and TCU.

Alabama? not so sure. I could see the physicality and athleticism really shut down the duck offense. Or I could see Bama struggle with the ducks speed and tempo. Either way yadda yadda yadda.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Marriott is the difference in the games Oregon plays.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2014
    wanting shit to happen and thinking about what is likely to happen is too very different fucking things.

it's what separates us from the animals.

it's what separates us from the resident dip shits at fag man. For Christ's sake, it's what separates us from Kim and Fatters.

Nothing I've seen thus far tells me that TCU is a huge problem for Oregon.

Bamers is a different story, but Oregon has answered the "too physical" test to some extent. Michigan State, and even a flawed Furd team, are physical, and Oregon has an inside running game with a very big, strong and pretty fast kid running the ball.

I don't know what would happen against Bama. I know this ... that Bama doesn't play a lot of teams like Oregon. There's always been that factor.

Much lesser Oregon teams have played powerhouse SEC teams, and while recently those have resulted in losses, you have to look at the nature of the losses. They almost came back against an Auburn team that had a once-in-twenty-years QB, and the LSU loss - that LSU team was fucking ferocious, and despite 4 turnovers, 2 of which were KILLER fumbles by then freshman DT, it wasn't a real ass kicking. LSU had the edge in total rushing, which beside turnovers was the worst relative stat for Oregon, and it was 80 yards.

Oregon Bama

1st Downs 18 18
    3rd down efficiency
    9-19 6-15
    4th down efficiency
    1-2 0-0
    Total Yards 335 273
    Passing 240 98
    Comp-Att
    31-54 10-22
    Yards per pass
    4.4 4.5
    Rushing 95 175
    Rushing Attempts
    28 48
    Yards per rush
    3.4 3.6
    Penalties 12-95 5-47
    Turnovers 4 1
    Fumbles lost
    3 1
    Interceptions thrown
    1 0
    Possession 26:56 33:04

All I'm saying is that, over the years, I've seen Pac 10 teams go down there and, fully expecting them to get their asses kicked (which I expected in the LSU game), show up and play. I remember a pretty average OSU team going down to Baton Rouge and taking a good LSU team down to the wire.

I think this Oregon team is closer to this Bama team than THAT Oregon team was to THAT LSU team. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't get their asses kicked, but it's far from an automatic thing in my mind.

The biggest difference I see in this Oregon team from recent memory is Royce Freeman - kid is the fucking show.

Call me a conference homer, but I'm on the side of the argument that people everywhere else don't realize how much parity there is in this conference and that Pac teams can and do play with anybody.

Bama would be a challenge and an upset ... no doubt. But it's not David and Goliath by any stretch.
  • Options

It's not necessarily who Oregon has beaten, but they have gotten the plunger out in every game since the loss. Mariota has played great every week, Freeman is a beast, and Allen, Carrington, and Stanford are good WR's. The only question mark is the defense, but it has been playing pretty good the past few weeks.

And it is who they've beaten. They manhandled Furd, which while flawed, is still very physical. They eventually pulled away against Michigan State with physical play, on both sides, and importantly by rushing Freeman down their fucking throats, and Mich State can play defense.

I don't think this is our uncles' Oregon team. If they can get even one of those linemen back, it could be interesting.

Would love to see a Pac team, any Pac team, beat an SEC team for the marbles.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bama plays more teams like Oregon now as well.
  • Options
    LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,628
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Fuck I bet you Vegas starts that line at about Oregon -7 over TCU if they both get 2-3 seeds... Start Oregon out over a TD and let the money fall.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Oregon would have beat TCU earlier in the year ... TCU's defense is much better now. I do think that the defensive quality is what would separate TCU in the game.

TCU's defense is what the program has been built on - particularly against the run. The program has a long history of shutting down great running attacks whether it be Adrian Peterson at Oklahoma, containing CJ Spiller in Clemson, or slowing down a very physical running attack in Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

The weakness of the TCU defense is that there is an ability to beat them over the top in the passing game. Oklahoma stayed close in the game with those kind of plays (otherwise TCU beat them about as bad as Baylor did) and Baylor's offense started turning into Petty throwing a lot of jump balls that they came down with enough of.

It's one of the reasons I really want to see TCU face Oregon is because of their ability to stop the run. Their front four is primarily asked to take up blockers to allow the LBs to penetrate and make tackles while their changing looks in the secondary always results in at least 1-2 of them flashing into the backfield to stop the run. The confusion that they create defensively often messes with offenses. Oregon's strength isn't necessarily in dropping back in the passing game and it's no secret that the route tree that Oregon runs isn't particularly diverse.

I think it would be a very good game, but I think TCU wins the game in the 38-28 or 38-31 range.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I also think Chip's team that played for the title is better than this year. I'm not worshipping Mariota just yet.

Oregon kills TCU. FSU is a toss up and Bama a 7 point favorite

No way. Mariota is the best they've had in the modern era. Thomas was an underrated passer, I'll give you that, but he was nothing near Mariota on the ground, and leadership isn't even a conversation. The receivers are better - MUCH better, and the running game isn't close. There are guys on this roster who would have at least shared serious time with, La Mike, who are now watching most of the game from the sidelines. Marshall would not have been moved to slot on that team. No way. It's not just the yards ... it's the nature of the yards. Oregon doesn't have to create as much space for Freeman as they did James and Barner. It's a much different game for this offense because that kid has size, speed and vision and runs pissed off.

Defensively it's a toss up, though there is no Dion Jordan or Michael Clay on this squad (can't remember if either of them played on the title team), there are more difference makers on this D overall than on that Oregon team. The corners on this team are better for sure, and I'll take Jargan over any safety Oregon's had a long time.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Bama plays more teams like Oregon now as well.

Auburn maybe. I think Oregon is faster than both Mississippis, and none of them have a QB like Mariota, including Bama, and I'd take Freeman over any RB in the SEC not named Todd Gurley.

I guess we'll see. Just as we say with Florida State, there are two Oregon teams. One that shows up focused and ready to play, and one that doesn't. The one that shows up ready to play can, I think, go toe to toe with Bama even if they're playing their game. Could be wrong but I think it's there.
  • Options
    topdawgnc said:

Marriott is the difference in the games Oregon plays.

So is Royce Freeman.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Oregon would have beat TCU earlier in the year ... TCU's defense is much better now. I do think that the defensive quality is what would separate TCU in the game.

TCU's defense is what the program has been built on - particularly against the run. The program has a long history of shutting down great running attacks whether it be Adrian Peterson at Oklahoma, containing CJ Spiller in Clemson, or slowing down a very physical running attack in Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

The weakness of the TCU defense is that there is an ability to beat them over the top in the passing game. Oklahoma stayed close in the game with those kind of plays (otherwise TCU beat them about as bad as Baylor did) and Baylor's offense started turning into Petty throwing a lot of jump balls that they came down with enough of.

It's one of the reasons I really want to see TCU face Oregon is because of their ability to stop the run. Their front four is primarily asked to take up blockers to allow the LBs to penetrate and make tackles while their changing looks in the secondary always results in at least 1-2 of them flashing into the backfield to stop the run. The confusion that they create defensively often messes with offenses. Oregon's strength isn't necessarily in dropping back in the passing game and it's no secret that the route tree that Oregon runs isn't particularly diverse.

I think it would be a very good game, but I think TCU wins the game in the 38-28 or 38-31 range.

I think we're on our own on this one bud.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Gun to my head or I'm betting:

bammer
    fsu
    whoregon

the ohio state

Tcu

Gaylor
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Gun to my head I'm betting Oregon. Alabama's defenses that won the NC were top 3 in D stats. This one is not in the top 10 and they gave up a lot to Auburn.

Doogs (some I know) are getting so antsy about it. Big fucking deal. We are in the best position we've been in, perhaps ever. Championship coach who will be here for 15 years. When Chip's players are gone, Helfrich will regress quite a bit.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Gun to my head I'm betting Oregon. Alabama's defenses that won the NC were top 3 in D stats. This one is not in the top 10 and they gave up a lot to Auburn.

Doogs (some I know) are getting so antsy about it. Big fucking deal. We are in the best position we've been in, perhaps ever. Championship coach who will be here for 15 years. When Chip's players are gone, Helfrich will regress quite a bit.

It's always more about what we are doing (or for the last 10+ years what we haven't been doing) than anything that Oregon is doing.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Other than the fact that Helfrich has already proven himself to be a good recruiter, I hear what you're saying.

One of the great myths about Kelly. He had a rep as a bit lazy in recruiting and had a very hard time puckering up for 18 year olds who think their shit smells good. The guy is a brilliant program builder and great game day coach. He's a great CEO. But not all of them are great recruiters, and I don't know that he was. Only the insiders really know, but for all we know, Helfrich was the one getting it done. He's certainly doing ok right now.

Anyway, we all know who found and landed Royce Freeman, and it wasn't chip. That kid is going to rape the Pac 12 for two more seasons before he's done.