Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If Chris Polk was white, would the UW had marketed him like they did Jake?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,978
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited August 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board

If Chris Polk was white, would the UW had marketed him like they did Jake? 24 votes

Yes
29% 7 votes
No
33% 8 votes
Hard to say; many factors were involved.
37% 9 votes

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,091
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I actually had a similar thought when I read bnb's post in that other thread... my first instinct is "hard to say" but I will think on it because it is actually a somewhat compelling question in my mind. I do know that I don't think he was intentionally discriminated against but that doesn't affect the question at hand...
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited August 2013
    No.

It's possible he would have gotten more promotion, but Polk was never listed as a Heisman candidate or potential #1 pick in the draft, and being white wouldn't have vaulted him into either of those discussions.

UW hyped Locker, but they were hardly alone in this.

The better question is, would Locker have been marketed the same way had he been black. I lean towards yes as the national attention likely would have been the same, but I think there's no question there would have been more UW/DM.c pushback against the hype if Locker was not a mothalovin cracka.
  • Options
    Mooser42Mooser42 Member Posts: 763
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited August 2013
    Chris getting away from his cousin Jordan and his boys would have helped his marketing immensely.....

I still don't believe for one second his "injuries" were the reason he dropped in the draft
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,574
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Derek, your agenda is clear for HH.

Honestly who gives a fuck. Don't you know Jake was the savior? He IS JESUS!

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyJW said:

Chris getting away from his cousin Jordan and his boys would have helped his marketing immensely.....

I still don't believe for one second his "injuries" were the reason he dropped in the draft

There's another good answer and I'm almost postive you are correct about why he went undrafted.

• Options
    Founders Club

A stud white running back? Lol. Why don't you ask if he were a unicorn what they would have done?

Why do you hate Hugh McElhenny and Mike Vindivich?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

A stud white running back? Lol. Why don't you ask if he were a unicorn what they would have done?

I don't. But those two wouldn't have beat out any UW starter in the last 30 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

Too many factors. For one, Jake was a local boy, Polk was not. After 0-12, Jake was really the only proven player although he still had many deficiencies. Teo' Nesheim and Butler were good players, but a QB will always be marketed over a player on defense. At that point, Polk hadn't done shit because he got injured in the 2nd or 3rd game in 2008.

After the 2009 season, Jake was considered a candidate for the #1 pick. Of course UW would market him when he decided to return. Even if Polk was white, he would have never gotten that sort of hype from the outside media.

I voted too many factors, but I would lean more towards no if I had to choose. QB vs RB, local boy vs Cali boy, NFL draft perception, and timing. Those are all reasons I would put before race.

Have to agree with Road Dawg here. In general a local kid is always going to be marketed better than a kid from out of state. Also in general a quarterback is always going to be marketed more than anyone on the roster.

It's why in the NFL, most consider Marshawn Lynch to be better than Russell Wilson but Wilson is the face.

Even Price was on lame commercials and posters over ASJ/Sankey/Kasen who are all local guys due to him being the QB.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I'm glad my idiotic response could generate so much discussion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    HuskyJW said:

Rumor has it that Sark bashed on his character to NFL scouts.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I don't. I know you're being sarcastic, but those two wouldn't have beat out any UW starter in the last 30 years.
    fixed that for you
  • Options
    chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    "Had marketed"?

Jesus. You got published?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And the answer is - of course. If Keith price was a protected #1 pick and heisman candidate, the free (and paid) pub!! would be insane.

Great concern trolling from our resident racist.
  • Options
    Founders Club

And the answer is - of course. If Keith price was a protected #1 pick and heisman candidate, the free (and paid) pub!! would be insane.

"Protected #1 pick?" Don't you mean "projected"? Jee-sus, what a racist idiot!1!!11!!1!! lulz
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    White RB's don't produce like Polk (unless they're from Stanford). No need to waste marketing dollars.

hth
  • Options

"Protected #1 pick?" Don't you mean "projected"? Jee-sus, what a racist idiot!1!!11!!1!! lulz
    Obvious grammar error in the subject line is obvious. Hth.

• Options
    Founders Club

Obvious grammar error in the subject line is obvious. Hth.

weak attempt at backpedaling