Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fetters baseball knowledge even worse than his football knowledge.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Chris_Fetters/status/540288989089902592

Hahahahaha. I like to compare a underachieving/always injured outfielder to a future multi all star one. It is what I like to do.

Comments

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Ryan Divish Ryan Divish @RyanDivish 21h
    @Chris_Fetters -- seriously that is an absurd premise.
    View conversation ·
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Ryan Divish Ryan Divish @RyanDivish 21h
    @Chris_Fetters -- seriously that is an absurd premise.
    View conversation ·

favorite response to that tweet.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    What's funny about that is that it isn't Joe Public calling out F3, it's his fellow "media" colleagues.

Apparently the only person that loves Saunders more than F3 is Churchill.
  • Options
    Saunders is average at best. Happ is pretty average too but put him in Safeco and he could have a solid season.

Comparing this trade to possibly the worst trade ever in the history of the Mariners organization is beyond fucking stupid. Stick to your faggy sport their hot air balloon overalls.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

What's funny about that is that it isn't Joe Public calling out F3, it's his fellow "media" colleagues.

They clearly value and respect him...
  • Options
    Thing about the trade is that the Mariners had limited depth in the rotation in the upper minors. They were going to need to sign a pitcher (at minimum) if they needed to use one of the young arms for trade. Moreover, it is a GIANT risk to go into the season with 3 young starters that have never started and completed a full MLB season.

Happ might not be great - but he tends to get hurt by the long ball. That should be mitigated a bit at Safeco - see Young, Chris. Additionally, he has experience pitching some in relief and can fill a role as the long man in the pen such that he's on standby IF there's a problem in the rotation.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Saunders is average at best. Happ is pretty average too but put him in Safeco and he could have a solid season.

Comparing this trade to possibly the worst trade ever in the history of the Mariners organization is beyond fucking stupid. Stick to your faggy sport their hot air balloon overalls.

It's a bad trade. But the comparison is CFFS.
  • Options
    dnc said:

The money is the only thing that makes it a "bad" trade.

A back of the rotation SP is more important than a 4th OF who can't hit.

Roster cost efficiency aside, I think this helps the team. If they don't make another move, it won't be because of Happ's contract.
  • Options
    dnc said:

It is far from a bad trade. Marinera have hardly any depth in the starting rotation and Saunders is too inconsistent with his injuries and his play to be worth it. We are trading an average hitter and bringing in a reliable starter into a pitchers park. It's not a bad/good trade really.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    Founders Club
    So does this mean Saunders goes on to win the batting crown?
  • Options

dnc said:

Roster cost efficiency aside, I think this helps the team. If they don't make another move, it won't be because of Happ's contract.
    Happ makes $6.7M in 2015 and then becomes a free agent.

Saunders is arbitration eligible after a year making $2.3M. He's due for a raise that will put him in the $4M+ range would be my guess.

So the difference in money is only $2-3M.

Many would disagree that Saunders can't hit ... probably more fair to talk about the fact that he never stays healthy. In an ideal world, a good team has a player like Saunders in the 4th OF slot to cover any issues. But the bridges clearly appeared to be burned from both sides.

Given the youth in the rotation and the lack of arms in the minors, it is imperative that the Mariners find another arm for the rotation that they can count on to make 20-30 starts if needed. Added bonus here is that Happ has pitched a bit in the pen before and at this point of his career probably understands his spot on the roster.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Saunders is arbitration eligible after a year making $2.3M. He's due for a raise that will put him in the $4M+ range would be my guess.

Many would disagree that Saunders can't hit ... probably more fair to talk about the fact that he never stays healthy. In an ideal world, a good team has a player like Saunders in the 4th OF slot to cover any issues. But the bridges clearly appeared to be burned from both sides.

Given the youth in the rotation and the lack of arms in the minors, it is imperative that the Mariners find another arm for the rotation that they can count on to make 20-30 starts if needed. Added bonus here is that Happ has pitched a bit in the pen before and at this point of his career probably understands his spot on the roster.
    "Many"??? REALLY?

Disagree.
  • Options
    Jason Churchill for one ... he's the biggest Saunders lover I've ever seen.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

He played 139 games in 2012 and 135 games in 2013. He was available for 100 games in 2014 please stop with this "he never stays healthy" garbage.
    Also he's been an average hitter since 2012, so "he can't hit" is also a fucktarded statement.
    Terrible trade, but the comparison is fucktarded
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Churchill is one of the better analysts out there
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    It sucks when you are on Twatter and can't censor the disagreeing opinions and when people call you out on your BS.
  • Options
    Generally I like Churchill ... but I do feel at times that he goes square peg and square hole with his viewpoints.

No question that Saunders was a useful player. I would have liked to have kept him as a 4th OF. I don't think that he was going to have the massive breakout (at least not in Seattle) that everybody thinks that is in his corner thinks he's capable of. And if he does have that breakout in Toronto, to me it's not as easy as saying "see, told you so" if that happens. Professionally, it was probably good for him to leave Seattle and get a fresh start - so good for him on that.

The areas that I get really frustrated with Churchill on things is when it comes to putting a plan together and then being prepared to do A if you know you can pull off B. For example, take a player like Justin Upton. If I knew that I could make a deal with him and get him to sign a contract extension before free agency, I would be prepared to give up more to get that deal done than I would if I was taking the player on for a year and then was going to lose the player.

Or, what is probably more appropriate in the case of Happ, this is a deal that will need to be considered in the context of what will probably be another deal that takes place to add one more hitter that will come at the expense of either Walker or Paxton. It's very possible that moving Saunders in that deal wasn't realistic, but this was a move that was required in the context of the bigger picture.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Can't hit? This isn't 2003 anymore. A .791 OPS in a pitcher's park is well above average. Even if you think his true talent is more like .740, that's still above major league average. Considering he's an above average defensive outfielder as well that's a valuable piece. He's not a superstar, but he's better than JA Happ's ever been and that's before you factor he makes less money and has more years of team control.

It's a bad trade.

And yes Saunders is a bit injury prone. But Happ's never thrown over 166 innings in his career. He's not exactly a workhorse either.

Bad trade. Not an Adam Jones level disaster. But it's a bad trade. Especially once you consider the M's have no outfielders and plenty of pitchers, and that hitting is much harder to bring to Seattle than pitching is. Bad trade on every level.
  • Options
    I've heard that the money is being equalized by Toronto ... so that's not a huge issue in this deal.

I think you have to assume that the Mariners are planning on getting another OFer.

There's also the thought of what to do with DJ Peterson when he's ready ... LoMo can play some of the OF.

And while Saunders is clearly better than Jones, Jones isn't terrible as a 4th OF given that he's the biggest speed threat on a roster that right now is moving a bit away from speed.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Generally I like Churchill ... but I do feel at times that he goes square peg and square hole with his viewpoints.

No question that Saunders was a useful player. I would have liked to have kept him as a 4th OF. I don't think that he was going to have the massive breakout (at least not in Seattle) that everybody thinks that is in his corner thinks he's capable of. And if he does have that breakout in Toronto, to me it's not as easy as saying "see, told you so" if that happens. Professionally, it was probably good for him to leave Seattle and get a fresh start - so good for him on that.

The areas that I get really frustrated with Churchill on things is when it comes to putting a plan together and then being prepared to do A if you know you can pull off B. For example, take a player like Justin Upton. If I knew that I could make a deal with him and get him to sign a contract extension before free agency, I would be prepared to give up more to get that deal done than I would if I was taking the player on for a year and then was going to lose the player.

Or, what is probably more appropriate in the case of Happ, this is a deal that will need to be considered in the context of what will probably be another deal that takes place to add one more hitter that will come at the expense of either Walker or Paxton. It's very possible that moving Saunders in that deal wasn't realistic, but this was a move that was required in the context of the bigger picture.

you don't know if Upton will sign a contract extension though. That is a completely seperate issue from the trade