Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It's That Time of Year: Bhonapha Visits Chris Warren

2»

Comments

• Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Passion said:

I haven't gotten too into recruiting this year, but I'm meh on young Potatoe. I'm worried he's just like his brother and is basically maxed out at 18. Sione dominated in high school because he was stronger and more mature than the guys he was playing against.

Benning was considered a 5 star guy by Biggins two years ago, but has steadily dropped since. Just thinking out loud here. I'm no talent evaluator and I'm not ready to submit a resume to Woody for Peterman's job.

Maybe, but there is something wrong about letting a top-ranked DL leave the state. WA just doesn't produce a lot of these kids, like louisiana.

Also, Benning seems to have a different body type than his brother. He is thinner and rangier. I guess I'd rather take him, if there is room.
    Agree about taking him, and it's evident the coaches have made him a priority. I have some family that went to Lakes and still attend a few games a year. They have said Potatoe looks great, but doesn't have that much of an impact on the field. Lakes hasn't been very good for a few years.
    Uh, all due respect @RoadDawg55‌, but did you see what we did with Andrew Hudson this year? Okay. If—after last year—we'd said we were recruiting Hudson's brother, wouldn't you have had a similar reaction?

It turns out player development matters. Sione was thrown out there as a TRUE FRESHMAN and when he didn't dominate like the staff was used to seeing at USC, they scrapped him.

Anyway, I trust them at this point. The evals they made on kids last year (Jones, Pettis) have bought them a lot of tolerance for me this year.

Also, in my opinion, Potatoe's film is more impressive than his brother's.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2014

Passion said:

I haven't gotten too into recruiting this year, but I'm meh on young Potatoe. I'm worried he's just like his brother and is basically maxed out at 18. Sione dominated in high school because he was stronger and more mature than the guys he was playing against.

Benning was considered a 5 star guy by Biggins two years ago, but has steadily dropped since. Just thinking out loud here. I'm no talent evaluator and I'm not ready to submit a resume to Woody for Peterman's job.

Maybe, but there is something wrong about letting a top-ranked DL leave the state. WA just doesn't produce a lot of these kids, like louisiana.

Also, Benning seems to have a different body type than his brother. He is thinner and rangier. I guess I'd rather take him, if there is room.
    Agree about taking him, and it's evident the coaches have made him a priority. I have some family that went to Lakes and still attend a few games a year. They have said Potatoe looks great, but doesn't have that much of an impact on the field. Lakes hasn't been very good for a few years.
    Uh, all due respect @RoadDawg55‌, but did you see what we did with Andrew Hudson this year? Okay. If—after last year—we'd said we were recruiting Hudson's brother, wouldn't you have had a similar reaction?

It turns out player development matters. Sione was thrown out there as a TRUE FRESHMAN and when he didn't dominate like the staff was used to seeing at USC, they scrapped him.

Anyway, I trust them at this point. The evals they made on kids last year (Jones, Pettis) have bought them a lot of tolerance for me this year.

That's all fine and I'm not claiming to be an expert on evaluating high school players. Based on Potato's offers, coaches think he has potential. I thought Banner sucked too even though he had offers from almost everyone. You watched a highlight film Dennis. My cousin has seen him in action a handful of times over the past three years. He may not be a professional TBSer, but he's been pretty spot on with Lakes prospects dating back to Middleton and Kearse. I trust the coaches as well, but not every prospect is going to do well at UW.

You are using the trust the coaches shit when it suits you. The coaches love Browning, but you don't. That's how I am with young Potato.

Sione didn't get scrapped. He had two different coaching staffs to make his mark and he didn't with either. Maybe injuries were the real reason why he sucked, but he also came in at around 270 and left around 270. He didn't get any bigger and never got any push all four years.

TL, DR: He's not my favorite prospect. If we get him I hope he develops and becomes a great player (like every other guy we get).
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,437
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

But has Lars put out 3 recruiting blogs in 3 days?

If Lars writes a recruiting blog and posts it on realdawg, does anyone read it?
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223

Choate and Pease are the main ones. Those guys have recruited Texas for a long time. I am guessing Bhonapha has done the same as well since he has been at Boise for awhile and those guys went to Texas often.

There was a lot of talk in boise the last few years of peterbuns making a huge effort in texas. There were a few people who ripped him for ever thinking that BSU would get kids from texas. That being said, you have to start somewhere in building those relationships with coaches and players. It wasn't going to be a "Hey, lets go to texas and we'll pull out 5 great kids this year...". But, after a few years of work and building with kids he finally has the platform to recruit against the likes of texas when he can sell UW(vs BSU).

One difference maker like warren can make 3 years of recruiting worthwhile.
  • Options

Passion said:

That's all fine and I'm not claiming to be an expert on evaluating high school players. Based on Potato's offers, coaches think he has potential. I thought Banner sucked too even though he had offers from almost everyone. You watched a highlight film Dennis. My cousin has seen him in action a handful of times over the past three years. He may not be a professional TBSer, but he's been pretty spot on with Lakes prospects dating back to Middleton and Kearse. I trust the coaches as well, but not every prospect is going to do well at UW.

You are using the trust the coaches shit when it suits you. The coaches love Browning, but you don't. That's how I am with young Potato.

Sione didn't get scrapped. He had two different coaching staffs to make his mark and he didn't with either. Maybe injuries were the real reason why he sucked, but he also came in at around 270 and left around 270. He didn't get any bigger and never got any push all four years.

TL, DR: He's not my favorite prospect. If we get him I hope he develops and becomes a great player (like every other guy we get).
    These are good poonts. However, Dude Brah hated Old Potatoe and (I've heard from good sources, whatever) told the arriving coaches he was a worthless POS. Maybe he was right.

The Browning thing is one where I just think he sucks, but I basically trust the coaches and have said as much. With Browning, I'm willing to accept that there is something I'm not seeing, but every time I see his tape I cringe. I am just throwing my opinion out there for discussion.

I honestly don't know what to make of all of that... but in general I trust the coaches because of their record at Boise and what I saw this year with Pettis and Jones, etc.

Also, just to be a TBS Superiority Guy for a moment, Danny "Salim" Shelton was downgraded in his last year because BrandonHuffandstuffFS saw his game and thought he was a lazy turd. I can't count how many linemen people watch in person and people say they suck. It's because, in general, linemen are fat and lazy in HS. Shelton was a great example. During his recruitment there were no shortage of people saying that they'd seen him play at Auburn and he was lazy and sucked.

Last, 'highlight films' are a fine way to get a gross eval on a kid because you're not really watching for the play itself (just like stats are meaningless), you are watching for how quickly they move, whether they hit kids harder than is expected, whether their body motion is exceptional (hips, blah blah). So, the highlights themselves are not that interesting... it's more about just watching the kid's motion in space.

ALL OF THIS BEING SAID...

Young Potatoe could suck. I'm not of the opinion he's a lock to be good.

You may be right, I may be crazy.

Or, abundance.
  • Options
    Also @RoadDawg55‌ — I just went back and watched Young Potatoe's film...

He looks fucking great to me. I'm not saying I know and I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just saying he looks like Jojo Mathis on film. He's built like Evan Hudson and just shocks people with his strength.

I'm sure he doesn't dominate on every play, but in terms of being a baller, I don't know what else you would want to see on film. If he's tough and willing to be coached up (big ifs), he is definitely worthy of being a 4-star kid in my view.

If his name were Chris Mills and from Gonzaga Prep, I think we'd all be psyched he is considering us.