Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is our late-season optimism warranted?

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited December 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
imageIs our late-season optimism warranted?

Are two wins over losing teams to close out the regular season giving Huksy fans a false sense of hope? 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I met DeLarry at the 2008 Notre Dame game, at the time he was a HHB legend for his rant on the coaches show when he told it to Ty's FACE!!1!!

Fans like him give me hope that we can get back to the top of the mountain
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Did Lucy end up shaking hands with old one-eye after the game?
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,294
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    What did Lucy say when she finally met your two dads?
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    brchco12 said:

I met DeLarry at the 2008 Notre Dame game, at the time he was a HHB legend for his rant on the coaches show when he told it to Ty's FACE!!1!!

Fans like him give me hope that we can get back to the top of the mountain

I too remember the days of literally turning on my radio to hear the Ty Willy show from Anthony's and just waiting for DeLarry to get his chance at the mic...if I recall correctly his voice was shaking slightly but he was resolved to get his point across to Ty in-person but more importantly he may have been the first person to be heard with a public criticism on the radio. It scared the shit out of Softy and it's possible DeLarry was the inflection point where Mr. How is he a Bad President finally took action. I don't know though...long time ago.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Great article Derek.

I think the takeaway here isn't that we beat two dreckfest teams at the end but the fact the players seemed to be having so much damn fun while dominating them. That carries over, I think.

Does DeLarry post here now?

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    4-5 < 5-4. Hth
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    DeLaLarrey just went up several notches in my book.

Also. Obligatory. We have a FOOTBALL coach dammit. Not a used beeper salesman or a molder of PGA pros.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you listed to me, this would not be a surprise.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    But nine months later, as a Jake Locker fourth down pass bounced off the facemask of a BYU player and the Huskies lost their 2010 season opener
    Funny imagery. I actually missed that BYU game. Never saw a single play of it. Sounds like a fitting ending though.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FREE PUB! Good article Derek. There is nothing wrong with being positive, but some perspective is also needed. It's been a very long time since we consistently beat good teams.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

FREE PUB! Good article Derek. There is nothing wrong with being positive, but some perspective is also needed. It's been a very long time since we consistently beat good teams.

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

What is the perspective we're missing from the fact the team played great... it's youngest lineups of the season, the last two games?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

What is the perspective we're missing from the fact the team played great... it's youngest lineups of the season, the last two games?
    Because they have mostly been beating shitty teams like Oregon State and WSU for a long time. They were nice wins, but everyone and their mom knew they were going to be wins. Like Derek mentioned, Sark closed out 2009 well. He won 4 straight to close out 2010.

Petersen isn't Sark, but this team was still the same. We beat up on weak teams and shit the bed against the good ones. You are one of the dipshits like Canard mentioned that think "WE'RE BACK!" because of these wins.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Lawnmowerduringthebeaverplung.gif
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I'm optimistic. CP will probably either be pretty good or really good. Like I've said, expecting USC 2002 through 2007 is a little much right now. We haven't done that since people were wearing leather helmets. Start out trying to win the North. That will probably take an 8-1 record.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,236
    Founders Club
    Very frustrating season. El poder de siete? Probably. There were signs of progress along the way, but until they consistently beat winning teams, this is still el equipo de seite, and nothing more. Piss poor competition or not, the team did play a hell of a lot more cohesively at the end of the season than at the beginning, so I'd agree that there is justifiable reason for optimism, but it has to be tempered with the reality that this was a disappointing season and this team has a lot to prove.

Year three is the mark as we all know. If el hedor de siete has not been washed away by then, then it will be time for another new regime. Peterson needs no excuses and I'm confident he doesn't expect any. The man just won his 100th game in D-1, against 17 losses, that's no small feat and not something the undisciplined, excuse mongering achieve. He will hold himself and his staff accountable. He expects to win and win big here. If he doesn't it will be time for him to LEAVE, it's that simple.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,236
    Founders Club

I am excited about the player development I saw from beginning to end. I could give a shit about the wins. I saw improvement from the first game to the last. Something not noticeable in years past.

I agree, player development was among the positive signs. To matter, it has to translate to winning though. It should, but as always, LIPO is the answer for now. The coaches have to improve their game day performances too, or they'll just lose with better, more developed talent.

Along those lines, among the most stark of Seven's flaws has to be the lack of player development. Good god, what the hell was that dipshit up to, beyond chugging beers and chasing tail at Joey's (allegedly)? Seriously. The quarterbacks actually devolved under him. Wow, just fucking wow.